main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine used the Force in the elevator shaft

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Ogawa, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    I don't think he used the Force. Maybe it was an accident...

2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    It has nothing to do with CGI. At all. It's the editing.

Anyway, I believe Palaptine DID use the Force. Why would he want to fall into his death?
    Anakin was way too busy getting a grip somewhere AND holding Obi Wan. Also, Palpatine used the Force to cloud that he's a Sith.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You don't have to use the Force to reach out and grab someone. Jedi/Sith reflexes aren't dependent on using the Force directly. They just need to see it coming and then reach out.

4. Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan

Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    darth-sinister is right.

5. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    "He can see things before they happen. That's why he appears to have such quick reflexes. It's a Jedi trait." (QGJ)

It has to do with having Jedi traits. An "ordinary" chancellor couldn't have done this. Whether this involves using the Force directly or indirectly (how do you use the Force indirectly, btw?) is secondary to me.

6. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    That's very true. Any sane person would do that.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Jedi/Sith reflexes are centered around things like podracing, Lightsaber duels and deflecting blaster bolts. Simply reaching out is not using the Force. That's the beauty in it. Anakin and Obi-wan never suspect that Palpatine had Jedi/Sith reflexes. They just assumed that he managed to grab a hold and leave it at that. They're too arrogant to think that there's anything more to it than that. Had they been more in tune with the Living Force, they would've suspected that it might not have been natural.

Han and Jango prove that Jedi reflexes aren't needed to pilot complex manuvers, such as the asteroid feilds. Han proved that the Falcon wasn't smashed to bits, like Piett and Needa assumed. And Jango kept up with Obi-wan, who would've had the advantage with the Force.

8. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    You don't need to Force to grab someone's leg.

9. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    That's just what I meant - I didn't mean that he somehow force-leaped, but that he reacted a lot faster than what one would expect from a 60 year old politician and that they could have suspected something odd going on here. So it seems that apart from semantics on what "using the Force" exactly means, we're actually in agreement for once :)
    I think in attributing their failure to notice it to "arrogance" you are being a bit harsh on the Jedi. They couldn't see it 'coz it all happened below their feet, and they had more important things to worry about. Either way, I thought it was a funny moment in this scene :)

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I refer to arrogance in the fact that they never consider it even an issue. Besides, who says that a 63 year old man cannot have sharp reflexes?

11. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    On average reaction times and reflexes tend to decelerate as people grow older. Of course it's not impossible for a 63 year old man to have very sharp reflexes, but it's not exactly the rule, especially if the person isn't trained in disciplines requiring them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.