main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine VS. Sauron

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darkwish, Dec 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkwish

Darkwish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2001
    Who would win in a battle of the minds...Palpatine or Sauron?

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Palpatine would beat his punk a$$ down :D

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Depends, Sauron in his physical form, or just the big floating eye?

I think Physical form Sauron may beat Palpatine.

4. Darkwish

Apr 26, 2001
    I don't know, I mean Sauron would be a most formidable opponent. He doesn't even take a tangible form. He's really just a conciousness.
    You could probably kill Palpatine with a well aimed laser blast to the head. (Although Palps would never allow that to happen.)
    But try shooting the flaming eye and see how much good that does...

5. Darkwish

Apr 26, 2001
    Yeah Guff, you have a point.
    I think the physical form of Sauron could defeat Vader or Dooku or really anyone that stood before him. Except for maybe Palpatine.
    But I'm starting to think maybe the non-physical form of Sauron is more powerful and could even defeat Lord Sidious himself.

6. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    As DarkWish said, taking out a big flaming eye might be difficult even for Palpatine. :cool:

7. GeekBob

GeekBob Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2002
    As Sauron (especially in the "present" story of LOTR) is more of an abstract "spiritual" presence, a more fitting comparison might be "Sauron vs. The Dark Side."

In the case of Palpatine, though, it becomes an entirely different matter. Since we've not been told (in canon, at least) exactly WHAT Palpatine "is," one must assume that he is a very powerful but mortal (since he ages along more-or-less normal lines through the series) "human" with tremendous use of The Force via The Dark Side.

Sauron, on the other hand, is able to gain psychological dominance over Saruman, who is the most-powerful of an order of immortal beings who (we're told/shown) are no-less than god-like in their powers. Given that, I would hesitate to give you much chance against such a thing.

Of course, the simple fact that we're talking two entirely different fictions here renders this moot, but eh.. such flights of fancy are the stuff movie-geekdom exists for.

8. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    If Darth Sidious were to fight Sauron 3,000 before he lost his physical form, Sauron would probably win. See what he did to those troops at the beginning of the Fellowship?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.