main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine, Yoda, Tatooine: Conspicuously Missing?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Leeda, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    In ANH Palps is the shadowy figure. You hear about him but don't see him. In ESB you see him hooded.

Finally in RotJ you see him in all of his glory.

2. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    Palpatine isn't in ANH because George Lucas wasn't sure what to do with him -in the early drafts he floated in and out with the idea of an Emperor and a dark lord of the Sith, they combined and recombined. And finally he decided to combine them later on. The novel refers to the Emperor being controlled by boot-lickers -clearly not the Sith lord we know today.

He's not in ESB because its Darth Vader's movie.

I do like your idea though.

Yoda wouldn't fit.

3. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    The word "the" is in the titles of 5 out of 6 films. Obviously, the title of Episode IV need to be changed.

Again.

4. Freddy-Krueger

Freddy-Krueger Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2005
    These suggestions are always funny, considering the pacing of the film would be killed.

Yoda and Palpatine aren't in ANH because the story doesn't require them. Same goes for Tatooine and ESB.

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The description of Palpatine being controlled by the corrupt elements of the government may not be how it really happened, but from your average citizen's perspective, that's how it could very well have appeared, with a convincing enough performance on Palpatine's part.

6. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Nah, Palps should be in at least ONE scene in ANH. I think the idea of putting him in the very end woudl work, since we've had a Palpatine sort of cliff-hanger in the first few movies, with Palpy showing up at the end of TPM, with the appearence of Sideous only at the VERY end of AOTC, I think having him appear in a quick scene would be ok.

No Yoda though, it doesn't make sense,

7. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    no, no, no.....

8. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    For Tatooine in ESB they should show it on a display screen for the coordinates of the MF at the very end. you know something for the fans to find.

for palpy in ANH he should be at the very end right before the ceremony but after leia and han congratulate luke after Bat. of Yavin

Vader and Emperor Palpatine walk together through the temple seen at the end of AOTC(Tie advanced parked where dooku's sloop was)

Palpatine:"Lord Vader what news do you bring me?"

Vader:"I have failed Master."

just a short scene nothing special

Yoda doesn't fit at all

9. JediDJ1013

JediDJ1013 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    neither of them need to be in ANH.

Yoda is obvious. His name is introduced in the beginning of ESB, and there really wouldn't be anywhere to put him without looking really forced in.

Palpatine could be put in, but I like the idea of him not being in ANH, teased in ESB and finally returns in ROTJ. Seeing what we've seen in the PT and what we will see in ROTS, I think it makes for better drama and anticipation to give Palpatine a break in IV and bring him back in full in VI.

10. Qui-Gon_Gin-n-Juice

Qui-Gon_Gin-n-Juice Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    I like the idea of this because the OT has already been changed several times. Why not make it a constant work in progress.

I basically added to a prior version of this.

END of ANH

THE SITH TEMPLE

Vader bows to Palpatine. Palpatine has his back turned to Vader and has a look of grave concern on his face.

VADER: Master, I have failed you. The Death Star had been destroyed.

SIDIOUS: Yes. But there are weightier matters to consider. I have felt a disturbance in the force. Obi Wan's return was unexpected but I have felt a greater threat...a great threat to us me friend. Have you felt this?

VADER: Yes, there was a rebel pilot. He was strong in the force. I believe he was Obi Wan's Padawan.

SIDIOUS: He destroyed the Death Star....(quietly) Obi Wan's padawan?

VADER: Yes Master.

SIDIOUS: He is very strong in the force indeed, Lord Vader. His prescence has been hidden from us. This is disturbing indeed, very disturbing. Is he a Jedi?

VADER: No Master. The Jedi are extinct. Obi Wan can not help him now.

SIDIOUS: Rise my old friend. We have important matters to discuss. The future of this matter is very clouded.

They walk off together.

Wipe to award ceremony.

------

END of ESB

There is a wideshot of Jabba's palace. Slave I comes into the screen and lands.

On the ground near the Palace

Fett leaves the ship with Solo in carbonite.

You may even have Jaba and Fett with a brief conversation something like this.

Jabba: Bounty Hunter, you are may kind of scum. Come, collect your reward. I have the perfect place for Capt. Solo.

Fett: Affirmative

JAbba: Now I just need the mighty Chewbacca. (Laughs)

Cut back to Luke/leia on the medical freighter & Lando
    taking off to look for Han.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Darth_Vader777, that is an absolute opinion.
    To watch the saga episodes 1-6 would also be filled with surpises and plot twists.

The old way isn't always the correct way.
    Keep that in mind.

-Seldon

12. Obi_Wan_fan_No_1

Obi_Wan_fan_No_1 Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Well, i think yoda would have no place in ANH, and nor would Tattoine in ESB. The emperor might work though. You could have a scene after the destruction of the death star, where he tells Vader that Luke is his son. That would explain why Vader isn't surprised when the emperor talks of 'the son of skywalker' in ESB. I have the original version of ESB though, where the emperor is played by a woman. I've heard that they changed the dialogue for the SE. Did they make it so the emperor explained to Vader that Luke was his son? And so that Vader didn't know before the emperor told him?

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    INT. SENATE CHAMBERS

PALPATINE
    Instead of announcing my new plan to destroy taxes...

*puts on shadowy hood*

PALPATINE
    I'm announcing that you are all morons. The Senate is dismantled! You will all die thanks to my new handy dandy Death Star!

PALPATINE disappears in a cloud of smoke. The Senate Building explodes.

EXT. CORUSCANT

The Senate Building explodes.

Hmmm... This seems familiar... [face_thinking]

I wouldn't mind Palpatine in ANH, but it's better that he's only mentioned.

Yoda would have no place besides perhaps opening his eyes when Obi-Wan vanishes like in ROTS when Mace dies.

Tatooine mind be cool like the ending in AOTC where Dooku lands. Boba could bring out the carbonite Han to Jabba, but it's cool as it is.

14. darth_JJ

darth_JJ Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    Tatooine shouldn't be in ESP. It's fine without it and without Jabba.

I'm undecided about Palpatine in ANH. I really think it would be good if Coruscant were to be there so it could properly be shown in the OT rather than at just the end of RotJ, but if Palpy were to be there it would spoil the mystery about him. So maybe Vader could land there for some reason but now be with Palpatine at all, like maybe just landing there and have some brief dialogue. His TIE could land and he could and he could say to some attendant, "Inform my staff that I have arrived". This means we would see that Vader survived, get Coruscant and no Palpatine. Just an idea.

15. YodaOz

YodaOz Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    Sidious was only at the end of AOTC. It was more powerful to have him only at the end, just as it was more powerful to only have one scene of Sidious in hologram in ESB and only mention him in ANH.

16. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    the perspective of the story shifted in the ot. there is no place for either yoda or palpitine. the story is much smaller and mor concise. to go jumping all over is unneccessary.

the films need no more tweeking.

I really hope george is finished.

but last time I said that he still made changes.

17. Mav23

Mav23 Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I think that Yoda would be ridiculous. But Palps works fine, and I like the idea of making ANH grander in scale and shifting locales a little more. This brings it in line more with the other films, as when watching 1-6 in order it feels a little out of place now. Of course George should also release the original versions.

18. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    After what takes place at the end of ROTS, I certainly can see reasoning for putting the Emperor in ANH.

We see the Emperor, Vader and Tarkin looking out from a Star Destroyer viewing construction of the Death Star.

I think seeing him in the beginning of ANH would work better for me rather than the end, particularly having Vader report to him via holographic message in regards to the completion of the Death Star.

Or if he could be seen with Vader reporting that they have located the Rebel base, and the Death Star is on course to Yavin.

Any other scenes with Palpatine in ANH would have to be in regards to him addressing the Senate and dissolving the Council, and sweeping away the remants of the Old Republic.

I don't think Yoda needs to be seen, because what would he be doing in the film?

By the way, I would like to see more of Alderaan before it is destroyed. Maybe show Bail and his wife and the people of Alderaan prepare for their doom just before the Death Star fires away, even maybe show some ships trying to escape ala ships trying to escape the planet in the Transformer movie before Unicron completely destroys it.

Darth Sin! :cool:

19. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    I have little problem with the OT remaining as it is.

However, in light of the events of Episode III, it surely is...odd...that we never get a scene in the whole of the OT in which Vader is upbraided by the Emperor for failing to confirm the death of Yoda. If Vader's principle inter-trilogy job is to wipe out the remaining Jedi, one wonders why we never hear of Yoda. Palpatine's hate for Yoda is clear. He never cared about him after the battle? A part of me wishes that in the Vader death scene there would have been time for a simple reference, something like "Master Yoda trained me well, Father", and some glint of recognition on Anakin's face or even a line.

Still there really is nothing wrong with the OT as it stands--except, maybe, that Han shot first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.