main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

palpatines history??

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SithAboveAll, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithAboveAll

SithAboveAll Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    does any book or comic ever really talk about it? i know it mentions he's from naboo, but is that it? no details of how he became sith or anything?

2. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Well LOE mentions his Masters name. Can't think of it off the top of my head though.

3. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    Darth Plaugeis.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that's about as much as you're ever gonna find out... I just can't see them touching upon that story, same way they won't touch upon Yoda's species, etc- there's no answer that will be satisfactory.

5. SithAboveAll

Feb 8, 2005
    thats stupid, i'm sure there are fans that would like to know about it. i mean everyone wanted to know how/why vader became the was he was in the original trilogy.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, look at it this way- Palpatine is essentially the ultimate evil. What could possibly be told that wouldn't be seen as a dissapointment when compared to the level of mystery we currently have?

It'll either end up making it seem like the author is trying to one-up Palpatine by making his own character (Palpatine's master) superior to him or it'll make Palpatine's master incompetent by comparison which makes you wonder why Palpatine ended up caring for the Sith legacy at all. It's a no-win situation.

And do you really want to find out that Sidious's masterful plans are, deep down, just a way of dealing with a childhood trauma or something?

7. DarthBale

DarthBale Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    I don't want to know Palpatine's backstory. I just want Star Wars: Empire to stop focusing on crappy characters and focus on dark Jedi and the Sith. So more Palpatine stories.

8. Stark_Rhavyn

Stark_Rhavyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2003
    They're probably saving that for later. After the Clone Wars, then ROTS, then post ROTS. That's good chunk of timeline they use that's actually interesting and will sell well on any media.
    They better be careful and not let the KOTOR series get too close, though. Unless their are actually going to acknowlege those events.

9. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    anyone else think that darth plagueis (or plaugeis) is a dumb name?

10. DarthBale

DarthBale Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    They're probably saving that for later. After the Clone Wars, then ROTS, then post ROTS. That's good chunk of timeline they use that's actually interesting and will sell well on any media.
    They better be careful and not let the KOTOR series get too close, though. Unless their are actually going to acknowlege those events.

I was referring to Vader and the Emperor when I said Sith. and when I said dark Jedi, I was referring to the dark Jedi minions Palpatine had, like High Inquisitor Tremayne and Lord Adalric Brandl.

11. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    "anyone else think that darth plagueis (or plaugeis) is a dumb name?"

Depends how its pronounced really, if its Play-jis I love it, if its Plague-is it just sounds stupid. In time we will know...

12. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    I'd rather like somebody to come up with something -- but something that is open to interpretation, like Traitor. Same thing with Yoda. He came very close to officially being a Whill -- I'd like to know their origins. And again, I'd like them to be open to interpretation.

13. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    >>"anyone else think that darth plagueis is a dumb name?"<<

*raises hand*

Anyone else think "Darth Sidious" is a poor name?

Frankly, in the movies or EU, I've only liked the following Darth names--

1. Darth Vader
    2. Darth Bane
    3. Darth Andeddu

Darth Tyrannus (Tyranus?) is okay, but still seems nearly as cheesy as pizza with extra mozzarella.

14. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    There is a fan-fiction here at theforce.net that I think is very good. It's not George Lucas's vision of Palpatine's origins, but it is very well written & at this point it is all we got, it's an amazing origin story created by one of us. Did I mention that even tho it's not real, it's very, very good?

The Apprentice Sidious

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, it was explained at one time what Darth Vader means and in what language. Dark Father in Dutch. So at least Darth Vader has a hidden meaning, and one that fits considering what we know about Vader.

Darth Maul could mean Dark Hammer or Dark Tool, or even Dark Assualt based on some of the definitions of maul. Under one definition, a maul is a heavy hammer, often with a wodden head, used for driving wedges. Another definition, one I know real well as I actually have it here, is a sledgehammer-like tool with one wedge shaped end used for spliting wood. Then another meaning is to assualt or attack somebody; to beat, batter or tear at a person or animal. As Sidious is using Maul as a tool against the Jedi, I personally think Dark Tool fits as a possible hidden meaning for Darth Maul.

Darth Bane is another like Darth Maul in which I could find several possible meanings. Dark Killer, Dark Slayer, Dark Poison, Dark Ruin, Dark Curse, Dark Death, even Dark Misery. Bane can mean something that causes misery. Or it could mean killer, slayer. Bane could also mean a deadly and fatal poison. Another possible definiton is a source of harm or ruin; a curse. Yet another meaning is death, destruction. And even another meaning is something that causes misery. All of which seem to fit Bane's character. But unlike Maul, I really can't pick any one particular possible hidden meaning for Darth Bane. Most of the possible hidden meanings would seem to fit Bane at any one particular time. Though if I had to be forced to pick a hidden meaning for Darth Bane, it would have to be Dark Curse as he is supposed to be the founder of the rule of two, the curse against the Jedi as the rule of two would allow the Sith to one day challenge and take down the Jedi.

Darth Tyranus would appear to be rather obvious, Dark Tyrant. Occurding to one dictionary I have, tyrant is spelled tyrannus in Latin. Yet if you spell tyranus as tyranous you can either mean ruling cruelly or treating others cruelly, both of which seem to be traits of tyrants. Then you have Tyrannosaurus Rex, which means tyrant lizard king in latin. Intrestingly, tyrannos is/or was the spelling for tyrant from the Greek language. Looking at all the similar spellings, it does seem that the hidden meaning for Darth Tyranus is Dark Tyrant.

Finding a hidden meaning in Darth Sidious is a little more difficult in that Darth Sidious is one of the modern Darth names that either can't be readily looked up in a dictionary (Maul and Bane), or is not fairly close in spelling to something that most school kids would recgonize and be able to look up a meaning to (Tyranus). I'm not a language expert, just have access to some dictionaries which give origins of words and other sources which give some translations for other things (Vader). As far as I know, Sidious could be a word from another language and could mean virtually anything. Or it could simply be an intentional misspelling of insidious to produce a good, evil sounding name. If the later is the case, then perhaps the hidden meaning would be Dark and Treacherous (unlike other possible hidden meanings for other characters, Dark Treacherous doesn't make sense where as placeing an and between the to seems to make them make sense) or Dark Entrapment as one meaning of insidious is awaiting a chance to entrap: TREACHEROUS. Both would seem to fit.

Darth Bandon could be something like Darth Sidious in that it could concievably be a case of intentionally misspelling abandon to create a good, evil sounding name. But then finding the hidden meaning is very difficult when you begin looking at the meanings of abandon. It would seem at least one word would have to be changed, if one could even do so and still have it work.

Then there are names like Darth Malak which may come from another language or may simply have been choosen to sound cool.

16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I believe Vader as "Dark father" is coincidence actually and possibly an internet Rumor since I don't have a translator.

I think its fairly obvious though what they were meant to mean

InVader.

InSidious.

17. SithAboveAll

Feb 8, 2005
    >>Well, look at it this way- Palpatine is essentially the ultimate evil. What could possibly be told that wouldn't be seen as a dissapointment when compared to the level of mystery we currently have?<<

true, but maybe they could do it in a way thats not so...."he's from here, he's been brought up like this". it could still be misleading and hidden while some stuff is said a little at a time, so it keeps with the character. just an opinion

18. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Personally, I would love to see Palpatine's backstory written as a novel. I think it should be written about the internal power struggle between Sidious and his master Plagueis. I think it would be interesting to see a Sith Lord successfully surpass his master. This is something we've never seen before in Star Wars. Maul and Tyrannus were killed before they could attempt to overthrow Sidious and Vader renounced the Sith when he turned against him. Considering the relationship between Jacen and Vergere in Traitor, I think Stover should write it.

19. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Darth Malak wasn't chosen because it was cool. Darth Malak was chosen because Malak is his name and he's a lazy-ass.

20. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    I believe Vader as "Dark father" is coincidence actually and possibly an internet Rumor since I don't have a translator.

Perhaps it is a coincedence that Lucas choose for Vader, but it does mean Father in dutch. And I can know this since I am from the Netherlands were we speak dutch.

21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I'm sure there is some author out there that can do justice for the story. After all, Jedi vs Sith turned out to be one helluva comic. The problem I see is that the story has to be conceived by Skywalker Ranch and then assigned to an author. Not knowing their procedures on this, it could be good or it could be a "designed by committee" thing which would royally suck. They're good at coming up with light-side, the-hero-always-wins scenarios. Let's see them try to come up with a seriously bad-ass storyline.

22. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000

Wrong. I took that out of the Darth Vader issue of the old SWGM and Lucas was quoted in the article as having wanted a name that meant dark father.

23. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Bane could also mean enemy or foe.

I'd really like to now if Sidious really came from Naboo, or if he took someone else's identity.

24. SithAboveAll

Feb 8, 2005
    i thought it was great when it showed how palpatine became senator of naboo(most likely behind the asassination of the current senator of naboo, though never actually said...i just assumed). wish it would say more about him

25. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    Are you sure about the Darth Vader=Dark Father thing? It seems unlikely because Vader wasn't Luke's father until ESB, and even then they weren't sure... so there would have been no real reason to name him that in ANH.

And using Charlemagne's formula, I'd like to see a sith named Darth Ane or Darth Ept. That would make for an interesting story... :p

EDIT: Also... do we know Palpatine's first name? I seem to recall hearing in several places that it was Dantius, but eveyone seems to think he doesn;t have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.