PT Palpatine's Lightsabers?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, Jun 1, 2014.

Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. PCCViking Force Ghost

star 5

Except in Return of the Jedi, he implied that he seemed to be above the use of a lightsaber. When Vader hands him Luke's, he says, "Ah, a Jedi weapon." And of course, he didn't need to use a lightsaber when Luke rejected his demand later.
  2. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10

In the case of Mace, I think it was that Palpatine really hated him. Hence he had more contempt for him than Yoda.

Palpatine calling it a Jedi weapon doesn't mean that exactly. It could have very well meant that since Luke is trying to pass himself off as a Jedi, that he would carry one. He knew that Luke was not yet a Jedi, when they met. Only when he rejects Palpatine and declares himself a Jedi, does Palpatine realize that Luke is now every bit like Obi-wan. As to not using a Lightsaber, you miss the context of that scene. He's punishing Luke for rejecting him. Torturing him with the full power of the dark side, which Luke has no comprehension about. He has tossed away his only defense against it and Luke is not on Yoda's level. Then he increases the intensity when he tells Luke that he will now die and doesn't even stop, like he did earlier.
  3. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    That's your personal interpretation, but there's no evidence to support it.

Which is true.

Why would he need to use a lightsaber in that scene? Luke had just thrown his saber away.
  4. Drewdude91 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    What I'm wondering is if Palpatine's second lightsaber was even his. Might have been Plagueis'
  5. Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  6. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    Plagueis's had a huge hilt to accommodate for the hand size of a Muun, Palpatine's second saber is a standard hilt
  7. Dandelo Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    In the case of Mace, I think it was that Palpatine really hated him. Hence he had more contempt for him than Yoda.
    -----------

where did you get this idea from?
  8. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Well, as I said, it was a thought. It's based on how Mace kept questioning him and how when he came to arrest him, Palpatine became very angry at him. Whereas when Yoda comes to confront him, he's not so much angry as he is gloating.
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785