main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine's look in Episode III and VI, and a question about Anakin (**Possible spoiler**)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Bedek, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bedek

Darth_Bedek Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2005
    First off, Palpy. Ok sure, it's not ROTJ, it's ROTS, and thus Palpatine is younger, but still, I think that the way he looked in ROTJ was better. The makeup looked more natural, more real. That and slimmer weight on his face. Sure, 20-something year downtime, Ian's gonna gain weight, but still, with all the stuff Lucas can do, he could at least have tried to make the makeup look more natural, again, like it did in ROTJ which IMHO was great.

Ok, second. Anakin on Mustafar after killing the Seperatist leaders: why is he crying? And I don't mean a plot link to the nugget of good that comes to life again in ROTJ, I'm talking strictly ICly ROTS timespot.

2. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Anakin is crying because he knows what he's doing is wrong, but he has to do it in order to save Padme. At least that's how I interpret it.

3. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Palpatine, as Darth Sidious, with the makeup and yellow eyes, looks the same in Episodes III, V, and VI.

The only thing different, "between trilogies", is that he is more wrinkled in V & VI, than he is in III.

And... you didn't bring it up, but "man boobs"?

Get over it.

Oh, and P.S. the makeup in III was a direct reference to Lon Chaney as the Classic Horror flick, The Phantom of the Opera (circa 1925).

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/170551.jpg

So... it's just great.

Trust me...

4. DARTHIRONCLAD

DARTHIRONCLAD Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Lucas talk about Anakin's tears on ROTS DVD commentary.

5. Calif_Jedi

Calif_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    Darth_Bedek states:

[i]First off, Palpy. Ok sure, it's not ROTJ, it's ROTS, and thus Palpatine is younger, but still, I think that the way he looked in ROTJ was better. The makeup looked more natural, more real...with all the stuff Lucas can do, he could at least have tried to make the makeup look more natural, again, like it did in ROTJ which IMHO was great.[/i][hr]
    My hole thing about this is that in The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith, every time Darth Sidious was show talking to someone throught holonet, he looked to be wrinkled and haggard looking too. I was under the impression that the face of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine was a mask of some sort or maybe some sort of Force illusion.

With that said, his bloated look could have been from a heavy blast of the Force Lightening hitting him.

Darth_Bedek states:
    [hr][i]Ok, second. Anakin on Mustafar after killing the Seperatist leaders: why is he crying? And I don't mean a plot link to the nugget of good that comes to life again in ROTJ, I'm talking strictly ICly ROTS timespot.[/i][hr]
    I believe that Anakin is crying on Mustafar because in order to put his dream to rest that Padme was going to die, he crossed a line that he knew he never could return from (at least not until the [b]Return of the Jedi[/b]). In a way he also is loosing Padme because (I think he knows it too) she would never join what he and Palpatine stands for.

Winston_Sith states:
    [hr][i]And... you didn't bring it up, but "man boobs"? [/i][hr]
    I just rewatched [b]Revenge of the Sith [/b] and did not noticed Palpatine having "man boobs." That could probably be accounted to the fact that the actor is older than he was in [b]Return of the Jedi[/b].

Winston_Sith furthermore states:
    [hr][i]Get over it...Oh, and P.S. the makeup in III was a direct reference to Lon Chaney as the Classic Horror flick, The Phantom of the Opera (circa 1925)...So... it's just great...Trust me...[/i][hr]
    [b][i]Get Over It[/i][/b], while a great Eagles song is somewhat rude. Oh well, I too get tired of reading posts some time that have people pointing out things that are inconsistent and "why didn't George Lucas do this?"

About the Lon Chaney look, I looked at a close up of Palpatine in [b]Revenge of the Sith [/b] in this make up, and Lon Chaney in [b]The Phantom of the Opera[/b] and now see what you are talking about. Awesome!

Just my two cents and nothing more. Take care everyone and have a safe week.

6. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Lon Chaney is a fine connection, sure, but for my money Palpatine much more resembles the mastermind villain Dr. Mabuse from Fritz Lang's series of films, played by talented silent-film actor Rudolph Klein-Rogge. Palpatine especially resmbles the all-powerful master of disguise, terrorism and hypnosis circa his appearance in the 1933 film The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, made during the rise of Nazi authority in Germany.

7. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    YES! YES! YES! I'm lovin' it!!! [face_dancing] 8-}
    Mabuuuse! buahahaha![face_devil]
    [image=http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images/04/cteq/last_testament_dr_mabuse.jpg]
    [image=http://www.mabuse.de/images/mabuse_portrait.gif]
    And also Rotwang from Metropolis:
    [image=http://staff.washington.edu/xtoph/anth469metro/rotwang_robot_small.jpg]
    Doesn't he look like Palp with 3PO?

I have already posted these pics some time ago, but I'm mad about these films and love this aspect of SW, so please forgive me my self-indulgence.[face_blush]

8. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Heck, I'd post this stuff myself if I knew how.

And by the way, it's: "Mah-BU-Zeh?" That's how good ol' Lohman pronounces it in Testament.

9. Annie-kin

Annie-kin Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2005
    I think Palpatine's look was great. Afterall Lucas could only work with the face that he had! So it was a good representation, and to the second question, i think Anakin was crying because he realised that now he couldn't turn back to the good side, even if he wanted to- he had done far to much to be able to go back. And probably realised that if Padme had found out what he was actually doing, that he would have lost her anyway, despite doing it to save her.

10. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Me too. He knows it's wrong, but he thinks he's doing what he has to to save Padme.

11. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Right. If you want to talk more about Anakin's crying you can discuss it in the RotS Forum.

Also, what possible spoiler is there in here? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.