main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine's Plan B

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by brook_33, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    What do you think Palpatine would have done if Anakin hadn't shown up at his office or blocked Mace's killing blow? Did he have an escape plan?

2. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    No doubt

3. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    My best guess:

By this point in the saga Palps had all the evidence he needed to paint the Jedi as traitors to the Republic. All he had to do was survive his confrontation with the Posse and the war wiery Senate (most of which was in his deep, dark pockets by now) would do the rest.

Anakin would still serve Palps, trying to save his beloved Padme from the death that she seems somehow destined to suffer. Order 66 would still have been given and the Jedi Temple 'closed for business.'

It probably would've taken a little longer, more Jedi would have survived (all the better for the bounty hunters) but Palps would still eventually rule with Anakin by his side!

4. DarthDarkSide

DarthDarkSide Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2003
    Then Palpatine would have wiped the floor with Windu!

5. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    The way he did leading up to Anakin's arrival?

6. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    Anakin or not, Windu was going to die as a traitor, along with the rest.

7. Fettist

Fettist Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2006
    I think you underestimate the power of Windu...He defeated Sidious! Took him out pretty easily. Sometimes fighting styles dont match up well... Kind of like Obi-wan in his defeat of Vader in Ep III...

Siduous was toast!

8. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    ok lets not turn this to another one of those threads...............:rolleyes:

9. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Jedi Master star 2

May 18, 2004
    I was always of the mind that Palpy was playing with Windu a little bit. Palps knew/had foreseen that Anakin would show up, So by allowing himself to be "beaten," Palpy presented Anakin with a choice. If Windu had killed him, Anakin probably wouldn't have attacked Windu. Likewise, If Palpy had beaten Mace outright, Anakin would arrive, and probably fought with Palpy, and either lost, or submit to becoming a Sith, just to stay alive. Forcing Anakin to become the apprentice would have made him less loyal in the long run. He had to walk into being a Sith with both eyes wide open. I think another question is: what was Palpy's plan B if Anakin was killed on Mustafar?

Plus, Palpy knew that Anakin was coming. He had his lightsaber, after all.

10. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    He had his lightsaber, after all. < [face_mischief]

Hmmm, I foresee this turning into a Palpy-Mace thread. [face_worried]

I will try my best to steer away from that by saying that if Anakin had not come, Palpatine would have used his Sith Lightning long before he was on the floor. He stuck to the saber to give Mace a false sense of triumph.

But sadly, he didn't need a plan B. Because he knew the boy would come.

11. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    That's the nature of the original question. There's no need for a plan B if he can't survive the confrontation with Mace to begin with. However:

Assuming he DOES survive the confrontation, killing Mace before Anakin arrives, here's plan B:

Anakin comes in, finds the posse dead, and Sidious deformed. Sidious tells Anakin that the Jedi turned on him, just as he had predicted.

Maybe he adds an agle to the story. We saw him play weak in front of Anakin. Maybe he tells Anakin that although the Jedi permanently scarred him, the Sith are STILL stronger than the Jedi. The Jedi turned on Palps, Palps beat the traitors, Anakin sees just how strong the Sith are and pledges allegiance to Sidious. Then the movie continues as it already does.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That is what I've predicted roughly, what would happen had things gone a bit differently. I'm sure Palpatine had backup plans within backup plans. So long as he can create enough reasonable doubt in Anakin's mind, as to the Jedi's true intentions, then things will be fine.

13. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    ^^^What he said.

14. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    I have to disagree, there appeared no way out - except by anakin's action - when Sidious was at Mace Windu's mercy. Either he thought he could easily destroy Mace Windu or he had supreme confidence in Anakin (just plain gambled). His lightning was not going to save him, not against Mace Windu, not at that point. Mace Windu was too powerful to let Sidious escape at that point, the way I saw it.

15. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I can't really say whether or not Palpatine had a second or third plan. The plan was to reveal himself to Anakin. Have Anakin report it the Jedi. Have the Jedi try to arrest him or appear they would kill him and have Anakin witness it. Let's not forget that Palpatine has the gift or forsight as we know from the OT, and there's reason to believe that he saw these things happening long before he became Chancellor or at some point. That's why he was so confident and so relaxed, even when he tells Anakin that he should report Anakin's discovery to the Council. Not only is it arrogant on Sidious's part, it's brilliant!

16. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    He might have had a plan B. But what that plan B would have been I don't know. What I wonder is what would have happened if Anakin killed both Palpatine and Mace in that scene. Then what would have happened?

17. JASTERSLEGACEYV2

JASTERSLEGACEYV2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2005
    i have a 1 word answer and a longer explianation; here it goes
    Answer: duh

:explianlation: paplatine is a super geniousas seen in his grand master plan to make the empire so i have really no doubt that he had a back up plan, BUT he would'nt need it for 1 if he just saw episodes 4-6, but as we all no he can't do that, also if he carfully read the profacey then he would c that it would get anikan on his side, the profacey applys to both luke and anikan, while most jedi over looked the nasty side affect of the profacey, plapatiine embraced it, the side effect is the chosen one would turn to the dark side. so plapatine did'nt really needa plan B but i'm almost cerine he would have had one

18. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    But I mean, what would happen if when Mcae kicked over Palps, what if Anakin didn't come to the rescue? What would Palps have done? Jump out the window?

19. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    He would have been beheaded by Mace's lightsaber or Palps would have been arrested.

20. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    It didn't really look like Mace's swing was a "beheading swing," it was more like an "I'm gonna chop you in half" swing.

I don't think Palps was finished though. He may have lost the duel, but he was by no means defensely, he could have started the cycle of lightning again, or thrown some stuff in his office at Mace like Vader does to Luke to catch him off guard. He doesn't seem to have "become too weak" moments later when he blasts Mace out the window.

21. MASTER_JEDI

MASTER_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2001
    I'm pretty certain Mr. Sidious had a Ace of Spades, King of Hearts, and Queen of Diamonds up his sleeve. Of course he had multiple plans. I can only imagine that his other plan would be for him to allow the Jedi to arrest him, and then ask for Anakin to plead his case for him. Of course the Senate would not know anything of a Sith Lord, or what it is, or even if they are the arch rival of the Jedi. That's irrelivant. The point is Palpatine is the Supreme Chancellor, and if he makes the Jedi appear as traitors given his position, Anakin, feeling he needs Mr. Sidious to save his precious Padme, would do anything: even testify against the Jedi.

22. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    ok, there is such a thing called "The force" in GFFA.

if Anakin had not of shown up at Palpatine's office, Palpatine would of simply, with a wave of a hand, force pushed Mace out of the Window, failing that he would of flung his chair at him and ripped his table from the floor and also have flung it at him, if Sidious can lift three or four senate pods in the air with one hand...I sure a few office accessories wouldn't be a problem.

Apu: Thank you, come again.

23. Darth_Killer________

Darth_Killer________ Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2005
    If his plan didn`t work, he would freeze himself in carbinite for 1,ooo years, then start all over again.
    :D

24. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005

My eyes. They burn.

25. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    I think that Mace could not have won no matter what had happened, Sid throws a little force push that almost knocks out Windu grabs the Saber and takes Windu out, that or I can see placing him under arrest, and getting Anakin to do that part of the bidding!!!! Then it still would have happened no matter!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.