main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine's plan- the whole picture

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by classified, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classified

classified Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    AOTC is really confusing. Ive worked out most of it. But even though Dooku is working for Sidious and is just posing as the opposition, why does HE appoint the production of the clone army. And why under a false name. And how come Jango fights against the clones that his recruiter built from Jango's own blood. I mean, Jango was living with them a while ago.

The whole story is mixed up.

Can someone explain fully what the hell everyones intentions are and who knows how much? For instance Does Jango know that Tyranus is Dooku. Does Dooku know his master is also palpatine.

Why does he say to Obi-Wan "Together we shall beat the Sith" if he is one? Please someone tell me.

2. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    The book Labrynth of Evil sorts out the who's and how's of the ordering of the clones.

Jango is working for himself. He never lives with the clones, just in the same facility the clones are being produced. He also never fights the clones. He goes after the jedi.

As far as how much jango knows, I imagine he knows as much as he needs to know. Being a bounty hunter I'm sure he is fine with unanswered questions as long as the money is there.

Dooku is just toying with Obi Wan. He knows he would never beleive him but goes to show how overconfident the sith can be.

3. classified

classified Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    But the motives are so mixed up nothing seems to make sence

4. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    Original clone army ordered by Dooku's Jedi friend, Sifo-Dyas. After CD went to Sith, he killed off Sifo-D under Sidious's orders and paid for the army under his new Darth name, Tyranus (under which he hired Jango's services as the clone template).

Now Sidious' plan was to allow the army to be grown while CD started the Separatist movement (also under his orders). When war broke out, DS used the chance to legally grab all the political power he could while CD made sure the emergency lasted long enough to allow DS *to* legally get all these emergency powers. All the while, DS watched the Clone Wars mature the Jedis' Chosen One into a promising apprentice who could aid his final grab for ultimate power -- the destruction of the Jedi Order.

Clear?

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think jango had a good idea of what the clones were for. Remember when he says to obi-wan they'll do their job well. I think he's saying it a little slyly. Also a bounty hunter whose killed a few jedi is the perfect templete for a jedi killing army. I also think that dooku was working for palpatine while he was still a jedi. How else could he have erased the archieve computer? Also why else would he get sifo-dais to order the clone army?

6. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Well, nothing like some fun 'what if' speculation on a Wednesday evening, so I figured I'd toss this out there:

How was Palpatine/Sidious going to accomplish his goals if Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Anakin -hadn't- disrupted the Trade Federation's blockade of Naboo? Obviously, he adjusted his plan quite well, but it seems pretty clear that the events of AotC and RotS were engineered on the fly after his initial operation went awry (and his first apprentice became his first -two- apprentices on the way down a plasma shaft). I like that this spotlights how much of a genius Sidious was, but I'm wondering how he was going to do it all if things had gone the way he -initially- seemed to intend. So in formulating our speculation, let us assume a few things:

Palpatine's overarching goals are twofold: He wants to become Supreme Chancellor, and he wants to eradicate the Jedi.

Palpatine had invested a great deal of time and effort in Darth Maul's training. He likely was not intended to be a 'throwaway' servant.

Assume that everything works as it would in a 'perfect world' for Sidious. IE No intrepid Jedi throwing monkeywrenches in his plans, no 'Chosen One' showing up to make things more complicated for -both- sides, etc....

My own take?

Palpatine intended to use the invasion/occupation of Naboo as proof that Chancellor Valorum was weak and ineffectual. He would have manipulated one of his other pawns in the Senate to call for the vote of no confidence, rather than Queen Amidala, and gotten himself elected as Supreme Chancellor, much like he did in TPM.

Once that was accomplished, Palpatine likely would have engineered both the rise of the Separatist Movement and the creation of the Clone Army. The primary difference is that he likely wouldn't have used Darth Maul as the figurehead of the Separatists (Maul doesn't strike me as an 'out in the open and public' kinda guy). Maul would have continued to operate as an assassin and enforcer for Sidious behind the scenes, killing Jedi who poked their noses too close to Sidious' affairs, and eliminating potential long-term threats to Palpatine's rule. Much like he did in some of the comics and novels featuring him.

The Clone Wars would have been incited, and likely lasted even longer, allowing Palpatine to use the conflict to whittle down the Jedi ranks even more so than he did in the 'actual' timeline. Without Anakin around to provide him with certain 'shortcuts' to getting rid of the Jedi, he likely would have insured that his position was much more secure before playing the endgame:

Order 66 is implemented, and most of the Jedi are destroyed. Maul leads the assault on the Jedi Temple, and with ten more years of experience and training in the Dark Side, he proves all but unstoppable. Once the Temple is purged, Palpatine declares himself Emperor and uses Maul to hunt down the 'stragglers' among the Jedi. Or lets him lie in ambush at the Jedi Temple as the 'return code' plays over and over again (since Yoda and Obi-Wan would conceivably not be there to deactivate/recalibrate it).

And the all lived Darkly ever after...

But this is just kind of -my- version. Anyone got any wilder/more elaborate ideas? I'm curious to see what you all think.

7. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    I got the feeling from Labyrinth of Evil that the clones were never Palpatine's idea: he just used them to his advantage. Sifo-Dyas ordered the clones on his own esteem when he saw how much help the Jedi would need in the future, what with the dark side rising and all. Unfortunately, Palpatine found out about the clone-order, had Sifo-Dyas killed, and had Dooku hire Jango to be the original.

Before Jango went to the Kaminoans, though, Dooku explained to him how they would need to first alter his genetic code so that he would kill Jedi when told "execute Order 66". That way, all the clones would do likewise.

So Jango went to the Kaminoans, made the payments, and knew about the plot to kill the Jedi all along?hence his line "they'll do their job well". I also think, as an added note, that the training Jango gave the ARCs and the other clones never touched the subject of loyalty and respect towards Jedi. The Kaminoans and other trainers probably handled that aspect.

8. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Hmm, that's a good point. Though that was one of the things about LoE that I definitely -didn't- like. Still, I'm sure Palpatine had -something- like the Clones in mind. I'm sure he didn't intend to have himself and Maul personally hunt down and kill all the Jedi. He -needed- the Clone Wars (or a conflict on a similar scale) to be able to wear down the Jedi and distract them while he gained more and more power in the Senate. After all the war itself was Palpatine's 'excuse' to stay in power longer than he was supposed to.

Or would Palpatine's 'timeline' have somehow been accelerated if Naboo had fallen and Maul had survived? Would he have found some other way to discredit the Jedi and let the Galaxy at large be the ones to 'wipe them out'?

Hmmm....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.