main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine's plans...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RogueStealth, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueStealth

RogueStealth Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    The PT's concept of Palpatines plans are a bit confusing to me in a way. Im going to tell what I know and ask if it is all correct and if it is not all correct PLEASE correct me.

OK, At the end of Episode I Palpatine is elected Supreme Chancellar of the Republic. But he doesn't have complete power yet. And Palpatine wants to rule the galaxy and destroy the jedi since he is an evil sith. SO in order to get these "emergency powers", he needs a war. Now the war is supposed to give him these powers, and in time supposed to exterminate the jedi in the process. So, 10 years in advance he gets his apprentice Count Dooku to ask Syfo Dias to order a clone army from Kamino. He then kills him somehow and gets Jango Fett to be the host. Now that the army is created, palphatine needs an opposition to the republic in order to be able to use this clone army without any suspsion about him from the republic or the jedis. So he created the Seperatist army for the sole purpose to oppose the Republic so that he may be allowed to have "emergency powers" to rule everything. The Clone Wars also have the purpose of exterminating the jedi in time since that is his purpose as a Sith. So even if the Seperatist did win the Clone Wars, he would still be on top of the galaxy because he rules them too correct? But since the Republic won the Clone Wars, and he has emergency powers, AND a clone army that is fully loyal to him as were programed, this allows him to turn the Republic into his own Empire and exterminate the remaining jedi that are left(since the war killed a lot of them).

Phew. Well thats what I know. If it is right PLEASE tell me. If it is not right and missing something PLEASE PLEASE corrct me THANKS!

Strilo edit: Changed title to be more clear and fixed some spelling

2. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I just wrote a paper on this for a class actually. It's posted in SWC but I'll post it here to help you out. Enjoy and hope it helps.

A major component of George Lucas? Star Wars movies is the functions and eventual problems and dysfunctions of bureaucratic organizations. This is most evident in the newer prequel movies that take place before the Star Wars classic trilogy of the 1970?s and 1980?s. As the first film in the series opens, a political organization known as the Galactic Republic reigns as the dominant government in the galaxy. Composed of delegates from hundreds of worlds in the galaxy, the Republic can be considered an intergalactic version of the United Nations. For the most part, the Republic adheres to Max Weber?s definition of an ideal bureaucracy. A system of written rules and guidelines are in place. Government officials are elected based on merit and not political or family ties and gain tenure so that they can?t be removed from office unless by a lengthy investigative procedure. And finally, there is a hierarchy of command, with a Supreme Chancellor overseeing the galactic government.
    By the beginning of the first film, the Republic bureaucracy has begun to deteriorate and is engulfed in turmoil. As Senator Palpatine says in the film, ?The Republic is not what it once was. The senate is full of greedy squabbling delegates. There is no interest in the common good.? What once was a well functioning bureaucratic organization is starting to fall apart due to corruption. Senators are bribing other senators and trade/commerce organizations are imposing taxes on outlying worlds. At first, this corruption is blamed upon Supreme Chancellor Valorum, who is eventually voted, or rather politically manipulated, out of office by Senator Palpatine, who promises upon his election as the new Supreme Chancellor to ?bring peace and prosperity to the Republic?
    In actuality, Palpatine ends up bringing even more corruption to the Republic due to his lust for control and power. Over the next 10 years, Palpatine secretly fudges rules and regulations and authorizes illegal activities to help him meet his ends. His first priority is to eliminate the guardians of peace, order, and law in the Galactic Republic, a group known as the Jedi Knights. To assist in this matter, he meets with a colleague of his named Count Dooku and convinces him to start a war with the Republic government so as to draw the Jedi into battle and kill them. During the second film of the series, the war between the Republic and Dooku?s separatist movement begins and Chancellor Palpatine uses the situation as a means to not only obtain emergency powers, but requisition a full army to have at his disposal. And thus, Robert Michel?s iron law of oligarchy begins to take effect and democracy begins to fail. Palpatine removes the other senators and officials from the decision making process and assumes full control of the Republic for himself and his ?chosen few?. By the time the 3rd installment in the film series begins, the Republic has practically been torn asunder. Most of the Jedi Knights have been killed off in the war or by Palpatine?s ?secret orders?. With an army at his disposal and no one to challenge his authority, Palpatine declares himself Emperor of the galaxy, forming the evil tyrannical organization Luke Skywalker and his friends fight against during the original Star Wars trilogy.
    When comparing the fictional Galactic Republic with real world bureaucracies, there are many similarities between the two. The dysfunctions of the Galactic Republic are what lead to its demise. For one thing, the Republic got too large. Too many worlds with differing political and social viewpoints led to too much bickering and arguing over minor issues while major issues were ignored. Also, the senators fell into trained incapacity. They were so used to doing things by the book that when new situations arose, like the separatist rebellion and eventual war, they didn?t know how to deal with it. Additionally, elected officials and senators stopped getting elec

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually, not a bad summing up of the Prequel Trilogy, Rogue Stealth. :)

4. RogueStealth

Mar 21, 2005
    O_O WOW that was excellent help. THANK YOU!

5. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    May I ask what class this was for? :p

There have been times that I saw good connections between my topic and Star Wars, but I was too embaressed to write them. :p

6. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    Sociology......... [face_plain]

7. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I see you enjoyed that calss a lot :p

8. RogueStealth

Mar 21, 2005
    Wow Captian you really helped me a lot. I had to read it twice cuz i was amazed at how much detail u put in. You HAD to get an "A" on that paper im sure lol.

9. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    I turned it in Friday. I guess we'll see here soon how it turns out. :p

10. RogueStealth

Mar 21, 2005
    I dont know why, but though I know what palphatine did, i still get confused everytime I think about his plan. Its just like...i know whats going on, but it seems like so much information and so many things involved that i get overly confused about the whole palphatine created the clone wars thing.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    There is seriously no H in Palpatine.

12. RogueStealth

Mar 21, 2005
    ARG i know. sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.