main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine's Powers

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JBRO_13, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I can understand why Palpatine would say "if only Senator Amidala were here" when discussing a person with the gall to suggest such a radical amendment as emergency powers for the Chancellor, but, there's a few things wrong here.

I can accept that Jar-Jar is dumb enough to believe that Padme would've helped in granting Palpatine the powers for the military creation, he IS an idiot.

BUT, why didn't Bail Organa or any of the others in the room say something like "why would Padme give you the powers? She's a strong advocate AGAINST the military creation act"?

Is it possible Palpatine just sort of blanked out all their minds from this thought? Because Bail Organa, earlier on, seems level-headed and mentally strong enough to say something like "No, Palpatine. Look here, son..."

2. Bewchacca

Bewchacca Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2002
    I have wondered about this scene as well. The only thing I could imagine is that since Padme' called for the vote of no confidence in Valorum then she would call for emergency powers too. I am sure that if Padme' knew that the Seperatist were creating a super droid army, she wouldn't have been so stubborn about the Military Creation Act.

3. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    "why would Padme give you the powers? She's a strong advocate AGAINST the military creation act"?

Amidala was against the Military Creation Act prior to the trouble she ran into on Geonosis. When she landed on Geonosis, she still wanted to employ deplomacy; however, she eventually admitted to the need of using "agressive negotiations" when in the arena. It is not illogical to think that she would also change her opinion on the necessity of an Army of the Republic.

When new events occur, people change their minds. It happens, and why so many people seem to think that because Amidala once had one opinion equates her keeping that opinion for eternity baffles my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.