main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Palpatine's reason for hating the Jedi?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Nov 19, 2017.

1. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I know a lot of evil people/villains don't need a justifiable reason to be evil, but I was curious if there was anywhere in the movies, EU, or new-EU material that gives a precise reason why Palpatine wanted the jedi gone. Aside from the obvious of carrying on Plaguies's teachings. Honestly I never read Darth Plaguies, or Lords of the Sith... (I really should though.) In Return of the jedi the way he says "So be it... jedi", and in revenge of the sith; "At last the jedi are no more." Really drives home the point that he has personal reasons for hating them.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Master_Rebado like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve read both, and neither give reasons. He hates the Jedi because he’s a Sith and the Jedi are in his space and interfering with his having “unlimited powah!”

Lulu Mars, Revanfan1, Erkan12 and 6 others like this.
  3. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I always figured that he just viewed them as obstacles to his narcissistic, power hungry goals. Come to think of it I seem to think of Palpatine as someone who cares less about Sith traditions, and more someone who just wants power and self glorification, after all, Vader and Palpatine were never publicly sith.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Sith originated from dissident Jedi and the Jedi (fortunately) brought the Sith to near extinction. Not only do the Sith and Jedi have opposite viewpoint, but the latter an obstacle to the former's quest for power. Sidious, as any Sith, wants to defeat and exact revenge against the Jedi.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The Sith are "Malum per se" which means "evil in itself" No justification required

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  6. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    Palpatine likes power, while the Jedi are the peacekeepers of the galaxy. They are the only thing in Palpatine's way to unlimited powerrrrrrrr!!!

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Pretty much. Every Sith were trained to hate everyone. Especially when trained from birth. It's an indoctrination of evil.

Lulu Mars and Bazinga'd like this.
  8. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    In an issue of the current Vader comic, Palpatine describes the scattered remaining Jedi with "there is no greater threat to our Empire." So basically, yeah, the comic agrees with most of the thread.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Because he wants to make sure that he alone controls all knowledge of The Force.

10. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Imagine knowing your religion has been wiped out, you have to practice your religion in secret or be hunted down and killed. That's what Jedi and Sith do to each other, they have a natural predator prey relationship. Seeing your enemy glorified and your religion defeated for a thousand years, would create hate, plus Palpatine is filled with hate beyond imagination

Jester J Binks likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralVarlexx

GrandAdmiralVarlexx Jedi Knight

Dec 1, 2010
    I think it's a bit two-fold. Being indoctrinated as a Sith, he hates the Jedi on principal. Ultimately his quest for power in the galaxy is opposed by those same Jedi. It's kind of a two birds with one stone situation. Not only does he get to extinguish the Jedi that's been bred to hate but it also paves the way for his ultimate power scheme and eliminates the one thing that could put a stop to it.

12. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Palpatine had a darkness to him ever since he was a youngling. He was born to be a sith,he wanted power, Jedi were in the way so he had them wiped. He was motivated to be in control of the galaxy, so he was motivated to kill all the Jedi. Does Palp HATE THE JEDI? Maybe. I think PALP as a Sith just hates anything that denies him what he wants.

If we wanted to theorize, we could say Palp maybe used the fact That the Jedi never discovered him as a child -- as some motivation to take down the Jedi, when he became a Sith.

13. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    To Alexrd you listen. He told us everything we need to know all those days ago.

Revenge of the Sith.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    With some stupid typos along the way (blame the 'edit' time limit).

15. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    That does not explain the hatred.

"What does Palpatine seek vengeance for?" then. Simply being directly opposed does not require "vengeance" to be invoked. They would be interested in domination and annihilation of the other without anything needing to be avenged.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Which part of "the Jedi (fortunately) brought the Sith to near extinction" is so hard to understand?

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    What movie is that line in?

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's in my comment, of which you said didn't explain the hatred and vengeance.

19. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I didn't respond to your comment. I responded specifically to the bold part of subtext mining's comment, which I emphasised by boldening my text accordingly.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It's in TPM and ROTS.

MAUL: "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

KI-ADI-MUNDI: "Impossible! The Sith have been extinct for a millennium."

MACE: "I do not believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing."

MACE: "The oppression of the Sith will never return."

PALPATINE: "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy and we shall have peace."

If you cannot understand that the Jedi nearly destroyed the Sith, that's on you. Lucas put it in there.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  21. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    He fully embraced the teachings of the Sith, and the history of the Sith. According to him, Jedi stole the power from the Sith. So, according to him again the Jedi are thieves.

For example:
    [​IMG]

22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    He put in that the Sith were believed extinct. He did not put in that the Jedi were or were supposed to be their exterminators. The professed code that the Jedi are supposed to follow, as portrayed in the PT, specifically in the case of Dooku's demise and Vader's endurance is part, explicitly excludes deliberate extermination.

23. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Yup. Both the Jedi and the Sith think they have the correct idea on how to use the Force and the existence of the other corrupts that purity.

In short, they share the same philosophy. Kill it.

Master Endz-One likes this.
  24. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I guess a better question would have been about each Sith's personal reason for becoming a Sith. I'm aware that the jedi nearly drove the sith to extinction, I was just curious as to why Palpatine was so obsessed with their destruction personally. I guess absolute power is reason enough, but ahh I guess I'll go read some books.

25. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Unbelievable. They just explained it to you pretty clearly and you still pick out the one detail that can support the PT logic is inherently flawed. That is just willful ignorance.

Talos of Atmora, Alexrd and Erkan12 like this.