main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Palpatine's reason for hating the Jedi?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    And that is willfully flaming the user. Might want to find a more positive way of responding then that.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Bazinga'd I think it's more of a description of his behavior which is entirely apt.

Yes, the Jedi had a code but saying that it's in any way incorruptible and that the Jedi of the past would not have made exceptions for the Sith (or had internal conflicts on how to deal with the Sith) is foolhardy.

Jango723 and HevyDevy like this.
  3. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I quess some people are simply unable to put two and two together.

4. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    IMO -

The Sith nearly became extinct for two reasons

1 - The infighting and quest for power among the Sith that depleted their numbers and lead to "The Rule of Two"

2 - The Jedi were victorious in their battle against the Sith forces in their last war.

As for Palpatine , He seemed to have a true darkness inside him that fit into the Sith Teachings and turned this darkness against the foe the Sith had always fought against, the Jedi.

I suspect that at first it was a more general hate against the Jedi philosophy but became more and more personal as he interacted with Yoda , Mace and others whom he saw as having a very one sided, flawed view of the Force and who were personally in the way to his Path to victory.

5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    OB1: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Sith. At last we will have our revenge.

Yoda: Better trained him we should have.
    OB1: You told me not to screw him up like I did Anakin.
    Yoda. Better trained him *I* should have.
    OB1: Or maybe I should have fought Palpatine and you Anakin like I suggested. Soiled your underwear you did. That's right. Said it I have.

Snafu55, Sarge and Martoto77 like this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

"Apt" does not make it appropriate no matter how accurate/inaccurate it may be, and any further discussion on this must be taken to a PM.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    We know that the Jedi were the exterminators since they try to do it again throughout the rest of the Lucas film series. They are the ones that Maul refers to about revealing themselves. Why would it be a big deal to reveal it to the Jedi, if they weren't the instigators of their extermination? You don't even need Lucas to tell you this to figure it out.

No, the Jedi Code does not state that a Jedi cannot kill. It states that a Jedi must not use the dark side to kill and must never kill a helpless opponent. Dooku was killed because Anakin killed him after he was defeated and was at his mercy. Obi-wan doesn't kill Anakin on Mustafar because he was in the same boat, but he wouldn't cross the line that Anakin did. When Obi-wan took out Maul on Naboo, Maul had all the advantages and the high ground. When he kills him on Tatooine, both are armed and Obi-wan does not use any emotion to strike him down. When Luke defeats Vader, he does so by using his dark emotions but realizes his mistake and pulls back, sparing his father. This is what results in Anakin saving Luke by killing Palpatine, who is not helpless and weak.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yup. Both anti-genocide and pro-genocide activists think they have the correct idea on how to wield political power and the existence of the other corrupts that purity.

In short, they share the same philosophy. Kill it.

9. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Yup. Which side is the anti-genocide side though?

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

The one which doesn't engage in genocide, I'd imagine.

11. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Ok. So it didn't apply to either the Sith or the Jedi, since they both practice religious genocide.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    The Jedi do not practice religious genocide as a matter of principle. A thousand years ago the Sith took over the galaxy and were (thought) destroyed by the Jedi in the process of opposing them. The Sith aren't just another religion, they're an evil sociopathic cult bent on the domination of all beings. The Jedi didn't wantonly exterminate them. The Jedi way is to love your enemies and show them mercy. Any other interpretation you may have concocted in that head of yours is nothing but pure reductionist fantasy. "Both sides are equally as bad, tear it all down!" How wonderfully original. How thought-provoking.

13. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    My Star Wars is fun (and fictional). Your Star Wars sounds like a chore (and lonely). No reason to go back and forth with somebody that can't keep the comments about Star Wars and instead always quickly descends into personal attacks.

14. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Bane already confirmed. ''The Sith killed each other. Victims of their own greed.'' We can talk for certain.

15. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    In ROTS Mace clearly had the intent to arrest Palpatine after being informed by Anakin that Palpatine was, in fact, the Sith lord the Jedi had been searching for. It was only after realizing that Palpatine ,if left alive, would be too great a threat that Mace made the choice to kill him. The internal conflict Mace was facing in that moment was clear as he explained to Anakin, as well as to himself , the power Palpatine held and why it was too dangerous to leave Palpatine alive.

This has nothing to do with religious genocide but with ending an active threat to billions of Beings.

I also have wondered how Mace would have secured Palpatine after the death of the 3 Masters who accompanied him to Palpatines office and if this was part of his choice to kill Palpatine in that moment. Not only did Palpatine own the senate and the courts to a large extent, he was also a very powerful Force user and the Jedi were spread very thin with many of the most experienced and powerful Masters offworld.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Well, it was the Jedi and the Sith that destroyed the Sith.

The Sith are the natural enemy of the Jedi. As George Lucas describes it, the Sith were once in control of the galaxy 1000 years in the past. Unfortunately, the Sith's hunger for conquest got the better of them-so many Sith Lords were vying for ultimate control that it led to infighting among their ranks. Such internecine struggles were exploited by the Jedi Knights of the era, and they were able to turn the tide and defeat the Sith.

As Ki-Adi-Mundi states in Episode I, the Sith have been extinct for a millenium; however, not all were wiped out. A surviving Sith Lord sought to rebuild the order, to retake the galaxy, and to take revenge. This Sith Lord realized the dangers of having too many in the order, so he kept his existence a secret. It would be a long time coming, but he carefully plotted revenge. There would be only two Sith Lords at a time, a master and an apprentice, working in secret, planting the seeds for their eventual rise.

By Episode III, the Sith are ready to reveal themselves. There's no more need for subterfuge, no more need for skulking in the shadows. Darth Sidious, the Sith mastermind, will make good on a 1000-year plot to finally avenge the fallen order, destroy the Jedi Knights, and retake command of the galaxy.

--Star Wars Insider, issue 78; page 60.

"The Sith are the archenemies of the Jedi," George Lucas explained, "and for a long time, they ruled the universe until the Jedi came along and got rid of them."

--George Lucas, Star Wars Insider, issue 78; page 80.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think a series where both the purported heroes and villains are evil genocidal maniacs sounds very fun, personally.

I'm sorry you don't want to talk anymore. I wish you well, my good friend.

18. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016

"Destroy the Sith we must."

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Because he is the leader of the Sith and the most powerful Sith of all time. He believes whole-heartedly in their tenets.