main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine's Red Guard - trained Jedi killers?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stormcloud8, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Well, we've seen the Imperial guards now in ROTJ and AOTC. While they present a striking visual image, they've never done anything, they just tend to stand in the background. I'm hoping that we'll see them in action in Ep III. We don't know their purpose, their powers, their weapons, or their training. I'm not interested in EU stuff, because Lucas' movie vision of these bodyguards is the only one that counts.

So...why would Palpatine need a special detachment to protect him? Why would he discard the old Blue Guard that had probably been used for hundreds or thousands of years to protect chancellors past? I can only speculate that he has created these commando type soldiers to protect him from the only enemy capable of hurting him - the Jedi. Darth Sidious is fully capable of protecting himself from mere mortals. But if the Jedi were to mount a sustained attack on Darth Sidious, he would need help to fend them off.

I wonder, then, if he secretly trained these soldiers, teaching them ways to fight and even defeat the Jedi? And when the Empire finally comes to absolute power in Ep III, will they finally be unleashed in combat against their sworn enemy?

2. GrandAlmightyMaster

GrandAlmightyMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2003
    I would personally love to see the gaurds fight in Ep3. I would want to see Palps use them as an army to help kill the jedi but I feel the clones will do a good enough job of it so i don't think we'll see them.

3. _Star_Wars_Girl_

_Star_Wars_Girl_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2003
    I wouldn't know... I usaually don't go that deep. :p

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    IT would be nice to see them in action.

5. Darth_Sacrilicious

Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    i think they were just put there to look cool in jedi. if anything, they're to protect him from non-jedi's so that he doesn't have to reveal his powers to the masses.

6. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Yeah, you never see those guys in action. I don't know what he'd need the guards for in Eps III though, won't Anakin be around more?

7. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Well, since Anakin/Darth is usually off on his own, Palpatine would need full-time bodyguards. It would certainly be fun to see them in action again Jedi.

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it would be great to see them in action it also would then present Kir Kanos as a viable threat in the EU.

9. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    I've said this many times: I'd love to see these chaps in action instead of posturing along corridors.
    They'd need to be exceptional if they're meant to fight and win Jedi. Possibly more than one Jedi at a time.
    Or am I the only one who thinks that the Loyal Royal Guard is outnumbered?

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    They're definitely outnumbered. But in a close quarters environment, they might do well. Say two or three against a Jedi.

I'd really like a scene in Palp's office where he reveals his true nature to a Jedi, and then when the Jedi comes after him, he has the Guard throw the Jedi out on his ear.

11. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    RG's in a close combat, in His Highness' office. Beautyful :D
    He'd probably have a nice reserve of Guards nearby just in case some Jedi Master happened to wipe out too many Guardsmen.

12. Ice Jedi

Ice Jedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    i dunno... i kind of like the mystery about the Royal Guards. It might take away from their mystery and intregue if we actually saw them fighting. I like it the way they are.

I once wanted to join the 501st, (and i still think it would be cool i just dont have the time or money....) And definatly the way to go is a Royal Guard. They're so cool looking, shrouded in mystery you know? of course you do, thats why you are reading this thread. Anyway, there was a guy at Celebration II that was a royal guard, and at one point he lifted up his robe and he had RED Storm Trooper armor underneath. now THATS an awesome idea. If they do fight i would like to see the robe ripped off and have the Red stormie armor under it.

--Ice Jedi--

13. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    When George was working on Episode 2 he said that Either in 2 or 3 we will find out why they wear red

:)

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Maybe the colour red has significance for the Sith - a la the lightsaber colour?

Other than that, I can't think of a reason why we'd have to find out the significance of their uniform.

It sounds like one of those loose-ends that would be interesting to find out about, but I doubt Lucas will have time to tie up.

I don't really care if they fight or not - they look cool just standing there. :D

Remember too that Palps as Sidious probably doesn't need them - like, why does Mike Tyson have bodyguards? I'm sure Sidious could handle any potential threat.

But Palpatine as Chancellor is human - he's an old man - he needs the protection from political enemies. Considering the state of the Galaxy, if the Chancellor was totally nonchalant about his personal safety, it might look somewhat strange.

15. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Well, the Emperor in ROTJ still needs the guard, so I don't think it is about needing guards in his Chancellor Palpatine role.

The Tyson analogy is a good one, and fits well here. Tyson could certainly take any one (maybe two) people who tried to come after him. But what if 5 or 6 or more people came after him? The same could be true of Sidious...what if several Jedi decided to try and arrest him? He would need the help of the Guard to fend them off, he probably could not defeat many Jedi at once.

16. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    i would like to see the robe ripped off and have the Red stormie armor under it

Dude! Red stormtrooper armor, now that would be awesome! :cool:

17. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    There is an interesting cut scene from ROTJ, where Vader tries to get in to see the Emperor and isn't allowed in. They had a picture of it on Hyperspace a while back, the Imperial Guards have their staffs up and Moff Jerjerrod is being Force choked by Vader. Not sure of any more details than that. Maybe they'll include that cut scene in the DVD.

18. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    The guard protect the Chancellor.

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    We know that but, what does the Chancellor need protection from?

20. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    While appearing in his 'innocent' Chancellor Palpatine role, he would need protection, as he wants everyone to believe he is a mere human.

As Darth Sidious, he probably doesn't need protection, but he most likely prefers not to get his hands dirty, and has guards to take care of his dirty work if trouble should arise. Also, as my original hypothesis in this thread, I believe the guards are trained to battle Jedi, in case an overwhelming number of them should attempt an attack on Sidious once his identity is discovered.

21. will_stan

will_stan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2004
    There weapons are not built to combat jedi. They're just there to look cool.

22. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    We don't know exactly what their weapons do yet. They've never used them.

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It says what they do in the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.

24. will_stan

will_stan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2004
    There weapons look like poles, which could be chopped in half by a lightsaber. I've never read the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, so I can't be sure.

25. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm sorry I didnt mean the essential guide to Vehicles and Vessels, I meant the essential guide to Weapons and Technology. They use Force Pikes which can be cut in half. Basicaly Force Pikes are Vibro Lances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.