main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Palpatine's Red Guards

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by beedubaya, Nov 19, 2014.

1. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    Upon watching Episodes I-III, I always assumed the Red Guards replaced the traditional blue-robed Senate guards sometime between episodes I and II, being that we see Palpatine accompanied by them in Attack of the Clones. However, throughout most of the Clone Wars cartoons Palpatine is accompanied by the older blue-robed guards with the exception of a few later episodes where he again has the Red Guards. Is this a lack of oversight in that the writers of the Clone Wars forgot that Palpatine was protected by the Red Guards in Attack of the Clones?

Being that the Clone Wars is canon, this definitely matters even though it is a small detail. If it was indeed a lack of oversight, its something that the Star Wars universe is stuck with so what is the in-universe explanation?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The in Universe explanation might be that he used both.

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yea I dont know. They never made that clear. AOTC they were obviously replaced by the Red Guard, no explanation alluded to either, not even the Jedi had a clue nor looked interested in the change. When the Blue Guard showed up by ROTS they had the new more intimidating visor. The Senate Commandos weren't supposed to be Clones as far I remember but they came off as Clones on TCW. They're the Senate Guard extension of that branch as well . While the Royal Guard may be Palpatine's select guards however Shock Troopers are also in red and are TCW version of Palpatine's main body guards and essentially the basic Corusant police and military. But the two divisions looked to have served the same purpose, guess they liked both looks and were kept for aesthetics reasons. I like variations myself so am sympathetic, but not sure of the logic.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Blue-robed guards appear in all three prequels. In between TPM and AOTC, Palpatine gave red robes to elite guards who sometimes surround him. As the Clone Wars went on, Palpatine came to always be surrounded by red-robed guards. Blue-robed guards presumably continued to exist until the dissolution of the Senate.

The Plagueis novel implies that the Red Guards are secretly an ancient organization that serves the Sith.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Guard

Trebor Sabreon and whostheBossk like this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As I understand it, the difference is that the blue Senate Commandoes (as the name suggests) are a protection detail meant for the entire Senate as well as the Chancellor, whereas the Red Guards are meant specifically to protect the Chancellor, as part of Palpatine's increasing concentration of power with him alone.

I'm pretty sure the Senate Commandoes weren't meant to be clones in TCW, by the way, as we saw a few specific individuals. If anything made them look that way, it was probably just reuse of character models.

I have to admit, I've never been fond of the idea of giving the Red or Royal Guards that kind of special importance, especially the latter. They always struck me as being like Boba Fett, in that their cool appearance made fans and the EU perceive them as much tougher than they really were, and the ease with which we see them get smacked aside by Yoda in ROTS felt like the eventual confirmation of that belief.

Edit: Which Darth_Downunder beat me to pointing out, it seems.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree with this post 100%. Blue = Senate in general, Red = Chancellor specifically, and they don't have any sort of special importance otherwise.

Nevertheless, I wonder if the Red/Royal Guards killed Senators who objected to the dissolution of the Senate.

8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    If the red guards are exclusively for the Emperor you wouldn't think he'd be using them to kill anybody. May as well paint a big sign on them saying "assassin hired by Palpatine"

Vialco likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant to imply that he didn't use them (at least not openly) to assasinate anyome until the dissolution of the Senate during ANH, at which point they were unleashed on the helplesss Senators.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Fair enough but even after that, he wouldn't want to so blatantly advertise that he was killing the Senators of the various worlds. It's no effort to have them change clothes at least.

11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Where they in AOTC, must've missed it as I do not remember them in it.

12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah they were in the background of Palpy's office, I think.

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Are the guards Force sensitive? It's something I've always wondered.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    According to Legends, the royal guards are some sort of mix between super-soldiers, tortured Jedi, and just plain ol' guards, if I remember correctly. They never seemed to be able to make up their minds there.
    As far as I know we don't have a canon explanation now.
    I like the idea of them being Force sensitive, but not trained. Just to fine-tune their senses a bit, which would come in handy in guard-business.

15. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I, like many, have enjoyed seeing the Red Guards continue into the Prequels and the Clone Wars. I do not remember seeing them in TCW at all, what episodes? The Blue guards did indeed take up the majority of time, especially in the episode where Cad Bane tries to capture Palpatine using a hologram image of a Blue Guard. That Blue Guard's action figure was so hard to find when ROTS was released. Anywho, I would like to see these explored into the ST and from what I'm hearing, their concept will be. Let's just hope they get some action for crying out loud lol!

16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Databank so far only has this:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/emperors-royal-guard

17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I think there is 2 different blue units, the armored guys and the guys in robes, Chancellor Vallorum didnt have Red guards that I remember. Palpatine must have made his personal guards red. I dont recall seeing any of the robed guards in the show though.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    darklordoftech and Andy Wylde like this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I could see the New Republic using blue guards like Valorum used to symbolize the end of Palpatine's influence.
    I'd love to see a Red Guard fight a Blue Guard.

Redimet and whostheBossk like this.
  20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I think the Red Guards would win.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Is Valrum dead by the time of the Empire.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    In the old EU he was assassinated during the Clone Wars. Now, who knows?

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

We know he survived up until about 20 or 19 BBY at the earliest.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Who knows. I didn't mean to imply that he survives.

25. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002