main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Palpy was right] Maybe one does need to know the dark side to be a complete Jedi.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dark Lady Mara, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    Cont'd

The Jedi inhabit the world of light, and they are afraid to dwell on the world of darkness, because they are afraid it will consume them. On the other hand, the Emperor inhabits the world of darkness. Both Jedi and Sith are able of touching the periphery of the other world: the Jedi can be angry on occasion, and the Sith can be compassionate, evidenced by the care of Darth Sidious for Darth Vader. It is however, only the Hero who has known both worlds that brings balance to the Force.

2. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    I think that none of the Jedi or the Sith have ever been at either extremes. None of the Jedi have never known anger - that would be difficult, and likewise none of the Sith would never have known compassion. However on the example that Sidious cared for Vader, I think that Sidious was only protecting himself by supporting Vader, and its evident that afterwards both of them are willing to sacrifice the other in order to become master or gain a better apprentice.

3. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    I seem to remeber Jacen Solo coming to this conclusion in the unifying Force when fighting the Vong that a jedi needed to be able to do whatever it took in certain situations and that there really was no light or dark just the force.

4. Boba-Frapp

Boba-Frapp Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    I really don't see why they need to know the dark side to be a complete jedi. I thought the basis of a Jedi was they use the "light side" only and the Sith use the "dark side" only, its prety black and white as far as I know.

5. Darth_Kimera

Darth_Kimera Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Obi-Wan Kenobi never used or tried to learn and studied the Dark Side.. Is he not powerful. He beat Anakin in Episode 3 using nothing but Jedi skills.

6. MasterVodo

MasterVodo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Luke did NOT kill the guards! Why would he? I understand and agree with what Darth Syphus said, but it would not make sense for Luke to kill those guards at that point. He does not touch the dark side until he strikes out at Vader (or the Emperor arguably) in rage. I tried to find evidence by watching the DVD, but it was inconclusive either way. The one they focus on last seems to rest against the wall and sigh in exaustion, but that's where it ends. If they fell to the floor I would concede that there dead but it looks like we'll never know for sure. Sorry to get on a tangent, but I thought it an interesting argument.

7. jdijade

jdijade Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2005
    <<I really don't see why they need to know the dark side to be a complete jedi.>>

I wouldn't word it as being a "complete" Jedi, but in order to fight a Dark Force user one should be familiar with the powers. Anakin (and later, Luke) had no clue and were zapped with force lightning. Yoda and Mace (and Obi-Wan to a lesser extent) had knowledge of Dark skills and were able to deflect these in a combat situation.

Warriors may study many forms of fighting to keep from being unprepared. In the ROTS novelisation, Yoda realizes he trained the Jedi based on skills the sith used in their last war, rather than keeping up with their evolving powers. Thus he knew he had failed the Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.