main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Panaka or Typho?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by sword_of_raditz, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Don't you mean too old?

Anyway, Typho 0wns Panaka... but wait, we never get see Typho in action now do we.

2. Tyson

Tyson Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2005
    Panaka's hat/neck warmer lost him a vote from me. But, seriously now. Typho looks cooler what with his cool eye, and being buff n' all. On the other hand we got to see Panaka fight during the Battle of Naboo. He seemed more experienced, and with his quick thinking shot a nice rapid shot at the window to evade the droids.

...I guess I am not going to choose.

3. kttch809

kttch809 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    I have to go with Panaka.

Typho is just way too... optimistic for me.

Typho: We made it. I guess I was wrong, there was no danger at all.

Then the ship promptly explodes.

What would Captain Panaka say? We can only guess.

Additionally, Typho doesn't get any cool lines like "I think you can kiss your trade franchise goodbye."

4. SliP_SitH_KnoT

SliP_SitH_KnoT Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2004
    How can you even compare two men such as these?They both have so many strengths and weaknesses.So I'd say I like them evenly.But since I had the oppertunity to meet Typho in person,I'll give him the nod.

5. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    Typho
    your not a space pirate until you have the eye patch(haha Im not funny)

but seriously, Panaka is just the most negative character in the saga. I mean he cant go through a sentence without using the word "don't"

6. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Just read the signature

7. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    I'm a Panaka man myself. He was accually supposed to be in II and III, but Lucas wouldn't let Hugh Quarshie read the entire AotC script, so he turned down the role and they invented Typho. Panaka would have continued as Amidala's loyal servant if it weren't for Quarshie's posessiveness.:rolleyes:
    Hey, whatever happened to Ric Olie? I really liked him and his Brooklyn accent. "The deflecta shield's offline! Up yours, Trade Feddahration!"

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Typho seems to be a lot more relaxed than his uncle, but he never had to fight anything on film like Panaka did.

BTW, Panaka is black, Typho is a New Zealander, I think.

9. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    Typho must have had some tough situations to deal with at some point. He had to get that metal eye patch somewhere.

10. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Typho kinda looks like a Clone Trooper :D

I kind of like them both. However Typho has been proved to be weakminded in the Clone Wars cartoon so I guess I'm gonna have to go with Panaka.

But Typho has a cool eye patch. Yeah I'll go with Typho.

But Panaka killed battle droids, yeah I'll change my vote again.

But Typho was in 2 movies.....

11. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I think it's obvious what my selection in this instance is....

That aside, let me say that in AOTC, Typho was a bad ass who cared sincerely about protecting Senator Amidala. Then in the cartoon, they made him out to be a weak minded fool, and then even worse in ROTS he let Amidala go off on her own (ok not on her own, with C freaken 3PO to look after her!) to Mustafar. Despite her insistance for him to stay, it is his duty to protect her. I mean at least in AOTC, Anakin was going with her to protect her. What good is a droid gonna do against any possible dangers Padme might face on a volcanic planet. Surely Typho knew this. The only chance I see for Typho to be redeemed now is to reappear in the live action tv series and whoop some major imperial butt.

so my pick is Typho

here's a couple facts about Typho:

* Typho lost his eye during the battle of Naboo in Episode 1. He was a junior palace guard at the time.
    * Typho is Panaka's Nephew. I beleive the two have a conversation in the AOTC novelization

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I have to go with Captain Typho.

Not only did Panaka have an attitude problem as a character, but Hugh Quarshie seemed to be similarly negative. The reason they had Typho instead of Panaka in AOTC is because if I remember correctly, they made him an offer he had to refuse.

Jay Laga'aia on the other hand came out to MC at Celebration III, and he was the funniest host they had. He actually sang The Saga Begins by Weird Al for us. Can you imagine Hugh Quarshie doing that?

When Lucas came out and apparently thought he was one of the guys who played the clone troopers, aka either Temura Morrison (Jango) or Bodie Tyler (the cafeteria aged clones), he just rolled with it graciously.

Later on, when Leanna Walsman (Zam Wessell) had to turn down a fan's invitation to dinner (from the Q.A. mike no less), he told the dude he could hook him up with some people later on.

13. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    It's actually called 'The Saga Begins' :D

And yeah Jay is a stand up guy, just look at my profile :eek:

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Thanks, I also added another reason Jay rules, so I was able to fix that too.

Well he seems -very- friendly... :)

15. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.