main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pandemonium in Madison Square Garden

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Nuggets, Knicks brawl near end of game

I would have killed to have seen this, in it's entirety, live.

What do you think will be the repercussions of this brawl? All ten players on the court were ejected.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    considerable damage will be done to the nuggets in the next couple weeks, and anthony's MVP campaign may have just suffered a fatal blow, while thomas may have just had his ticket (finally) punched out of new york.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, I was thinking any chance that the Nuggets had of making a playoff run this season, is done. They had all five starters on the court, I'm sure Mellow will get at least 20 games for this.

I really don't think that Stern is going to take this lightly, and that the penalties will be very stiff.

As far as Isiah, I agree with this probably being the proverbial straw, for him.

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    this game could have far-reaching effects. steve nash's mvp candidacy could get a boost with anthony possibly out of the way, and thomas really could be see himself out the door thanks to this. iverson may be rerouted elsewhere, if he was going to be going to denver. plus other stuff, like maybe new players stepping up for both teams.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Two questions: Where there fans involved? And Why the heck didn't either coach warn against committing brawl before the game especially since the Detroit BasketBrawl is still so fresh everybody's heads?!:rolleyes:

6. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    you think the coaches remind their players not to fight before every game?

are you serious?

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Bet you more than anything they will now.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    so since you didn't defend yourself, are you admitting your previous statement was ridiculous?

9. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Melo will be out awhile after this. I don't think it will end Denver's playoff chances but it definitely makes it a little more work. Melo should be the only one to get a serious penalty for the Nuggets. I don't think every player on the court deserved to be tossed. As for the Knicks roster, whatever. Not like it has been any good this season anyways, and Thomas is a crappy coach. No loss either way. With a Melo suspension pending, you know Denver is really thinking AI would be nice right now.

10. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    And who are they going to trade for him, now that at least two or three of their players will probably get at least a 5 game suspension?

Not every player tossed will necessarily get punished. They just ejected everyone, to save any confusion about who had done what, at that point. Some of the players were just trying to break it up.

11. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    JR Smith should get the most games, he flew off the handle

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Bet you more than anything they will now.

no, they won't. that would be like seriously telling someone not to get into a car accident every time they got into a car.

the idea that coaches would tell players to essentialy "behave" before every game is ludicrous.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He also got thrown to the ground with arms wrapped around his neck. :)

14. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    and he tackled the Knicks guy, which made the fight escalate

15. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I still think Mello will get the most severe penalty, or at the very least, it will match whatever other players get the highest penalty.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Melo, Robinson, and Smith will get the most games, IMO.

And I'm not buying these predictions of 5 games for Melo/Robinson and 1-3 for the others, I think somebody's gonna get 20+ and at least 3 players (the ones I named) in double figures, but we'll see.

When I first saw the headline, I figured Renaldo Balkman was involved, but he actually wasn't. I'm impressed.

17. Yule-TideAngus

Yule-TideAngus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2006
    I'm sorry, but that made me lol.

18. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    The league has to investigate what Thomas told his players (and his warning to the Nuggets' starters) about during garbage time and gauge his responsibility. But to be fair, you never see stars like Melo and Smith stay out that late in garbage time.

And can we change the thread title to 'Melee at Madison Square Garden?' it has a better ring to it. :p

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I should read all the threads before I post something. I thought this happened today, not yesterday. :p

I can't believe this happened. From the video, one guy even tackled a guy into the stands.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's the most entertaining thing to happen in the NBA in years.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    anthony is going to get 15-20 games. the guy who started it will get at least 5 (for the flagrant foul).

22. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Mardy Collins.

23. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    his video has been removed at the request of copyright owner National Basketball Association Properties, Inc. because its content was used without permission

:(

24. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    While I still think Smith, Robinson, and Anthony (and possibly Collins) will get 10+, and in Anthonys case at least probably 20-30+, looking at it again I think some will only get 1-2 games. As an example, David Lee (whom I picked here because he's easy to spot and keep track of in the midst of it, plus I remember watching him in college which makes me more likely to watch him in the NBA, even if I don't like him) was in the middle of it the whole time... pulling people away. His biggest mistake was probably in pulling away Denver players instead of New York players, even though they were closer and he had a better angle on them. He was trying to hold back Smith while he (Smith, obviously) struggled to get free so he could take Robinson into the stands, and putting his rebounding skills to use by boxing out another player from the melee, and stuff like that. I don't think he'll get very much of a suspension, at least not if they really look at that. And at least a couple others are probably in a similar boat.

25. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I think it's entirely possible that half of the players ejected don't get anything. They just ejected everyone on the floor, to limit confusion, knowing they could pick out the players that were actually involved in the incident later on film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.