main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pandemonium in Madison Square Garden

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Just watched it on YouTube. With the exception of a few guys it was just handbags. Which means that I agree with ASG on the issue.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, but I have a feeling that all the ejected players will get something, just not much for most of them, like 1-game suspensions for being involved and in the middle of it or something like that... then the big ones will get big suspensions.

But we'll see, it is certainly possible that some don't get any suspensions.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Don't you get a fine from the league, if you're ejected from a game? I mean, from the video, that's probably more than some of the players deserve all together. I really hope that Stern doesn't hold the fact that some of those players were already on the floor, and were just trying to defuse the situation.

I've heard some players, from both benches, left the bench and ran out on the floor. That's usually a one game suspension, and I can see the validity in giving them a slap on the hand for that. But, not the players that were playing on the floor when the incident happened, that were just trying to break it up.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm not sure, but a automatic fine with an ejection does sound familiar. If thats right, it might be enough to prevent suspensions for those others.

And I'm pretty sure running out on the floor is a 1-game suspension, too. I think that goes for NCAA and NBA, and I agree with it. Couldn't tell from the video I've seen who, if any, this would be.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm not sure who it would have been either, I just heard a Sports Center guy say, last night, something along the lines of "You can't leave the bench, you just can't do that". So, I assumed at least a few players did.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I heard the same thing from Kiki Vandeweghe on NBA Fastbreak.

Automatic one-game suspension for throwing a punch as well, in his words, "whether it connects or not."

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    From CBSSportsline.com: "David Stern has suspended NBA leading scorer Carmelo Anthony 15 games for his role in Saturday night's Nuggets-Knicks brawl."

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Fifteen sounds about right. I had predicted 20, but 'Melo's not got a reputation, so 15 is about right.

9. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    They added this to the tidbit: "Stern metes out punishment to six other players, including 10 games each for Nate Robinson and J.R. Smith."

So that means that three players that were ejected are not getting suspended any further ... unless he hasn't decided on them yet.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    ha! i called it.

i kept seeing all these 5-10 game predictions, and those were way too short.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    In all, seven players were suspended and both franchises were fined $500,000. The suspensions are as follows:

Carmelo Anthony: 15 games
    Nate Robinson: 10 games
    J.R. Smith: 10 games
    Mardy Collins: 6 games
    Jared Jeffries: 4 games
    Jerome James: 1 game
    Nene: 1 game
    George Karl: No fine or suspension
    Isiah Thomas: No fine or suspension

(from espn.com)

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I like the franchise fine, that might help in the long run.

I think its about right, probably could have been a bit longer for some, but still, enough to get the point across. And Anthony has to know that leading the league in scoring won't protect him, either.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Karl had some interesting vernacular to describe Isaiah Thomas.

I'm wondering why Stern doesn't investigate Thomas' role in this. From the video it's clear that he goes up to Anthony before the hard foul and afterwards there's footage where he's clearly mouthing "I told you so." and words to that effect, so it's pretty indicative that perhaps what Anthony is saying about Thomas' warning is true.

14. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Melo will get his reduced to 12 games I am betting but this was sure an ugly incident.

Also, the title of this thread should be The Grapple in the Apple. ;)

15. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Someone was listening to Mike & Mike this morning. ;)

I don't understand how Anthony's appeal holds any weight. It's pretty weak and he's lucky he didn't get more games.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't understand how Anthony's appeal holds any weight. It's pretty weak and he's lucky he didn't get more games.

I don't either. If I was in charge of the appeal, I might try to give him a few more games :p

And "The Grapple in the Apple" seems to be ESPN's name for it.

17. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    but in all honesty your not going to blow a 19 point lead with 2 minutes remaining, Anthony should not have been in there

18. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I agree. Karl cannot be completely absolved from blame.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Karl should not be absolved of all blame, because his starters should not have been in them.

Even so, that doesn't come close to excusing the actions of the Knicks.

And if Thomas did order the hard foul, then he has more blame than Karl.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Indeed, and he looked like the cat that ate the canary after the whole thing played itself out.

21. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    They should have suspended Carmello Anthony for the rest of the year. Totally inexcusable. Just because there was a flagrant foul (of which, I have seen far worse) does not entitle someone to punch another person in the face after the altercation is under control.

Anthony's actions weren't in the heat of the moment or anything like that. Things had settled down, and we went over and punched the Knick's guy in the face.

Should have been the remainder of the season. Weak, David Stern, weak.

22. Rasberryjammed

Rasberryjammed Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2006
    i love it!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.