main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Paperback vs. Hardback

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by REVANLORD, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    What is your preference when buying books? For me, I would choose paperback, a smaller one.

The Hooded Soul

2. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Paperback.

I only will get a hardback if a book is just released and I really really want to read it, like Feast for Crows.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Paperback. It costs less and takes up less room. And I also find paperback books easier to read, since they're smaller and the covers are more flexible.

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    For most novels I like paperback.

For a book like Dressing the Galaxy or something I consider special, I like hardback.

Hmmm, I keep typing hardbake. Maybe I'm supposed to be barefoot and in the kitchen :p

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Hardback unless I have no money. Just wish the book jackets weren't so cheaply done. Anytime I drop the book, white begins to show around the edges. I depise that.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I could have gotten A Feast for Crows cheaper but the trade paperback looked huge on the shelf. Until I work out how to sell some books, I'll wait for a cheaper, smaller paperback. And with the average book pretty cliche and rubbish, hardcover is a hard money down the drain if unsatisfied.

So many bought Jedi Trial . . . [face_laugh] :(

7. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I prefer paperback, since they're cheaper and take up less room. But for certain books, it's nice to have hardback (for the sake of longevity - I'm somewhat hard on my books...the covers always get bent and whatnot).

But yeah, if it's a must-read, I'll buy hardback. They just hurt my wallet a bit more.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Normally I will wait for the paperback. However, for Star Wars books and certain authors I will get the hardback.

9. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Hardback, as long as I am able to open the book normally. Because sometimes one can't see the lines' endings/beginnings sue to the too hard cover.

10. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I never have any money, so with me it's usually not only paperback but second-hand paperback :p

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Paperback for me :) Not only is it cheaper, but something about a paperback book, and really long fantasy paperback book, is kinda cozy :)

Star Wars is the exception: If it's in the EU, I have to have it and will buy it no matter what. Other books that come out in hardcover I'll just get at the library.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hardcover is the only way to go unless a particular title isn't available in this manner. Paperbacks might have a bit of use in regards to issues of portablity, but other than that they're cheap, unreliable, and don't look as good on the shelf.

13. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    Paperbacks because they're easier to hold (dust jackets really irritate me so I always have to take them off on the rare occaisions that I have to read hardbacks), they're cheaper and you can fit more of them on a shelf. :) :p

14. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    If it wasn't for the fact I was poor I'd be all hard. I prefer holding a hard while reading and they're more durable.

15. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Hardback does make your library look sophisticated from far distance. If I had the money I'd switch the first 5 HP books over to Hardback since I've worn them all out in over a year.

16. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Hardback looks better on the shelves, giving the room a "proper" library look.

But I simply can't afford to buy many hardbacks since they cost a lot. Paperback is also more practical when I go travelling. It doesn't take up much room in my backpack.

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Plus the font and leading are larger. From a typographical background, hardback is a better choice. Just like ^^^ suggested, price. :_|

18. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I just love paperback because there isn't a cover annoying my reading.

The Hooded Soul

19. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Paperback cheaper and they take up a lot less space.

20. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    paperbacks, without question!

21. ElfinArcher

ElfinArcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2005
    I can go with either. I prefer paperback because they're cheaper, and I can fit more of them on a shelf. And for novels, they're easier to read.
    I like hardback for stuff like textbooks, research books, collectibles or things with pictures. Like the illustrated editions of Dan Brown's books.

Most of the time I get paperback, because it's easier on the pocketbook.

22. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    One thing I really do like about hardback, though, is the paper used in them. I find that the quality of paper used in hardback books is of a better quality than in paperback. It seems like the pages in paperback books yellow and get brittle faster than hardback.

23. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    Both hardbacks and paperbacks have their advantages. Hardbacks do look nicer, especially when they are on your bookshelf. The dust jackets don't really bother me. If I find that they are starting to get irritating, I take them off and put them back on when I am finished reading. I have occasionally thrown dust jackets out for one reason or another (usually because I don't like the picture on them) Hardbacks also feel nicer. I enjoy reading a hardback book more than a paperback book. However, paperbacks do have one thing going for them: price. Paperbacks are much cheaper. Size, like the dust jackets, does not really matter to me. As long as the book isn't gigantic, I'm okay with it. So after going through all the advantages, which do I buy? Paperbacks, because of the low cost. I usually only read books once anyway so why spend a whole ton of money? However I will buy hardback if I really want to read the book and don't want to wait for the paperback to come out or if I think that it would look nice on my bookshelf (yes, I know that's rather vain)

24. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Paperback, most of the time. If I really want to read a book right away, I'll buy hardback - but even then, if I loved the book and think I'll reread it, I'll buy the paperback version as well when it comes out. I rather like hardbacks and dust jackets don't bother me, but paperbacks have the edge in both price and portability.

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Hardcoverites: 5
    Paperbackians: 14
    Error margin: possible

You think paperbacks don't look good on the shelf, ezekiel22x? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.