main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Paperback vs. Hardback

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by REVANLORD, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree to some extent that worn books looks good since it does show that your are actually reading.

The leading of paperback is irritating. They don't leave enough space in between lines. However with a hardback the is greater leading and it's more comfortable, especially when reading a lengthy book like HP or such.

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    The book I'm reading and the next two I'm reading are hardback and I'm recalling why I don't like them. I like to lay on my side in bed and read, which you can't do with hardback books unless you're in the middle half of the book, otherwise it's too annoying to hold them up.

Also, I like paperbacks because they fit better on bookshelves

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    That was a pain yesterday holding up my Hardback Half-Blood Prince yesterday. Gets heavy after a while if you don't lay on your side or stomach. I can totally relate.

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Yeah with hardbacks i generally read at a table or laying on my back in bed with the book propped up against my legs.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Paperbacks have an unfortunate way of seeming so small by times. I got Animal Farm on Monday, and it seems such a small, small thing. Great book, but it's small enough to be a childrens novel. Mind you, that's sort of what Orwell intended...

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I don't see the purpose in trade paperbacks, aside from making me wait a year for Feast for Crows. They're just softer hardcovers ten dollars more than paperbacks. Ridiculous.

I envision a system when everything comes out in paperback, and if you want a hardcover variant you can place an order with the organisation, which will release, say, once a month all monthly orders. It can work with enough planning, for certain cases.

7. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    The whole point of hardcovers is to make the people who don't want to wait for a paperback pay through the nose. The bigger trade paperbacks are a good compromise for older people, such as my mother, who have trouble reading smaller fonts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.