main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Parade float: Patch fundraiser, Multi-group effort, build coordination, etc...

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obey Wann, Oct 5, 2015.

1. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    From David Scott, who's organizing the float build.
    Float build:
    Alright everyone, were getting it all kicked off. We took january to catch up from the holidays so lets get to work.
    Next saturday 2/6 and almost every saturday after is going to be build day (weather permitting), galaxyfest is up in the air, we might do a sunday build day that weekend.
    Anyways, Jeff and Kim (Darth hair and sith chick) have once again generously allowed us to use their backyard and trailer.
    Build time starts at 11, if you need directions PM David.
    Phase 1 is replacing the deck on Jeffs trailer and time permitting we can try and get some of the framing.
    To reiterate we are building a sand crawler. It will be 8.5 feet long and the front half of the tailer will be for kids in jawa outfits (cheap brown robes)
    Hope to see everyone there.

FanForced and Obey Wann like this.
  2. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    I have no building skills to offer :-( Do you guys need a sandwich delivery or musical inspiration (me on the clarinet) or a gopher run to Lowe's?

3. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Next weekend we will most likely be in need of those services. Ian and Lynelle are here today. They are clearing it of snow, inventory the state of the float and materials and putting the tarp on. I hope next weekend the now is cleared from out yard so we can start building.

I know very little about dates and times as well as the schedule, but I will be able to check up on the status of the build, since it's in my backyard. I do know we still need paint so if anyone wants to keep a look out for "oops" paint we need black and sandcrawler rust as well as sand color.

4. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Just plain brown paint will do as well, even though we're not close to painting yet. It looks like every Saturday except the 20th due to Galaxyfest. David is still figuring it all out but has a good plan. We need more big pieces of plywood if anyone has some spare pieces in your garage/shed/backyard/whatever (I delivered a few pieces but not near enough it looks like). I'll probably be there on the 13th again. Hopefully we'll have some warm weather to melt the ice off the trailer (we scraped most of it off but still too icy to do anything). Getting the trailer ready is the first priority. Hope David will chime in soon, but that's my update so far.

5. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

Hey, guys! What's the latest on the patch?

6. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Standing by to stand by.

7. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    Sorry to interrupt the patch questions but....

Float build update #2 (from Saturday):

1. We pulled off the plywood and determined that the wood base deck will hold for one, possibly two, more years. At some point it will have to be replaced. We discussed about drilling new holes in the metal frame, which with the tools I have can be done. We'll discuss that further when we get to that point. For this year we're using the same wood deck due to time and money (it will hold).

2. We measured and measured and measured. Then wrote up a shopping list (wood, new screws, etc). It will be a very simple design that alludes to a sandcrawler (won't be exact but people will recognize the "jawa RV" as I call it). We did not discuss paint but please be on the lookout for oops, or cheap, brown and black paint. I bought one small pint of dark brown, the only oops paint I could find.

3. Due to Galaxyfest this weekend the build day is on Sunday since quite a few of us building this masterpiece for you is going to be in Co Springs on Saturday. I believe laying down new plywood over the deck and framing the contraption is on the docket for Sunday. If you can help out please do so. We only have three more weekends.

4. Only small kids and handicap adults will be allowed on the float from what I understand. If you have older kids that can walk the whole way they won't be on the float (a 501st member at the meet-n-greet wanted his teenage daughters on the float, I said unless they have broken legs nope). Again, David will make final decisions on all of that. Personally I would love to see members of any of the groups who cannot walk the distance get first priority. Yet, the small kids last year looked GREAT!

It sounds like not much is getting done, but getting the trailer in shape has been quite the challenge. I think the really hard part is done, now for the fun stuff of actually building and painting. Please help out on Sunday if you can.

8. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    "You hear me, baby? Hold together." - scruffy-lookin nerfherder

9. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    What kind of donations are needed?

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Drop David a PM (probably on FB). He would know what we need the most.

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    We got paint and wood. As of yesterday, it was framed in and skinned.

We have some reddish-orange paint for the base, and a black/gunmetal for the floor and tracks. We could use extras for detail, weathering, etc. Especially copper, browns, and stuff for weathering and washes. It's a sandcrawler. If you have anything on hand that could help, please bring it on Saturday.

I have also cross posted a request to the 501st and RL, and in the FB event a request to send $$$ donations to the RMFF treasury pay pal account.

When we get the patches made, I will give one patch to each person who donates at least $10 to the fund. I'm hoping Jason can help me with a lit of all who donate. I will personally purchase the patches for all donators as part of my contribution. We will also have a bucket on hand at the parade for on-the-spot donations.

he-guy, DieWompRatDie and AuttyBot like this.
  12. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    If you don't mind, could you post the link here to the parade event FB event? Thanks!

AuttyBot likes this.
  13. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    For the record, I paid David $312 for float materials on Sunday. It sounds like alot was done, so that's great!

nnaydolem and AuttyBot like this.
  14. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    Reddish-orange???? Sandcrawlers are BROWN!! If you need more brown I have a $5 off coupon for Ace hardware. I'll pick up another bucket of brown as a donation. It has to be brown.... (says the Jawa! LOL)

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I see copper, reddish orange, brown, all sorts of colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Katsu_MaRoy and he-guy like this.
  16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Saturday will be a BIG day. We could use help, including donations of paint brushes, rollers, etc. Harbor Freight is OK, because they will likely be discarded after the build is over.

Here is the parade event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/981682678591377/

17. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    David posted that the painting will start on Saturday at noon. If you have stuff, please bring rollers, paint brushes, etc. Or money to head to Harbor Freight for supplies if we are low.

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    We made a float!

[​IMG]

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    And now, we have a banner!

Stephanie Bradley will print it out:

[​IMG]

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    [​IMG]

Please print a copy of this for yourself, and bring it with you. Or have it in your phone, or whatever.

Please note: 129 Limerick Street is a FAKE address in the Coors Field parking lot.

When you get to the parking garage, or however you get there, ask a parade marshal where Limerick street is. Then, look for the Star Wars flags at 129 Limerick Street. I have an orange Rebel Legion one, a Colorado Millennium Falcon one and a vertical 501st Vader's Fist one.

See you there!

AuttyBot and DieWompRatDie like this.
  21. thebreadnappa

thebreadnappa RMFF Co-CR/Member-At-Large

Sep 14, 2012
    Do we have a headcount?
    How many Jawas do we have for the float?

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  22. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    The Mrs., Logan and myself will be there. Logan has been called up from understudying and will play the role of Finn! Thanks to ladyblues and thebreadnappa for the awesome jacket costume!

thebreadnappa, AuttyBot and Obey Wann like this.
  23. AuttyBot

AuttyBot RMFF Secretarian star 1

Jul 21, 2014
    I am hoping that Fidelity and I will be there. I am going to try to make a super quick Jawa robe...just getting home from the trip was exhausting in itself. She may be a basic jedi if I cannot make it happen. Please let me know if this is not okay.

thebreadnappa likes this.
  24. Tahiri_Solo14

Tahiri_Solo14 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2005
    I will try and make it this year. Baring anything really awesome happening at Starfest, I will be ready to represent some SW Rebels love with my Sabine Wren. :D

thebreadnappa and DieWompRatDie like this.
  25. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Any and all costumes are welcome in the RMFF! The main idea is to show up for some fun.

AuttyBot likes this.