main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Parade Float

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by catz44, Jul 13, 2009.

?

Parade Float

Poll closed Jul 18, 2009.
  1. Skiff

5.3%
  2. Falcon

52.6%
  3. Sandcrawler

5.3%
  4. Ewok Village

31.6%
  5. Dagobah Swamp with Yoda's Hut

5.3%
  6. Hoth Scene

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    :_| Me neither. I tried some on last week and I had a calf muffin top. :oops:

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    We're all fine here. Just a slight weapons malfunction. How are you?

3. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    It's a common problem for women.... The only ones I've found that work and aren't lace-us are the ones I have for my Jedi costume.

Well, if modding's an option, I'm a little closer. Now I just need more income. :rolleyes:

4. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I now have a local source for the belt buckle greeblie and the seed trays if you want to do the backpack. We will be able to get discounts for 6 or more. PM me for details.

5. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I might consider this as well, but have to think through when I would wear it. It's not the sort of thing I'd normally wear on my own, but it would be fun as part of the group. I doubt I'll be able to come out for the parade, but if there are other times the group would get together to wear them...? Hm. For a second I thought C5, 'cause it would be impressive to have a big group of hoth troopers there... but then I remembered Orlando, Aug... maybe not. [face_thinking]

6. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Taeriel - You might consider doing Toryn Farr, instead of the trooper. Rebel Comm Officer might suit you better.

7. theropod

theropod Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2008
    I marched in the Disney Star Wars Weekends parade in Orlando this past June wearing my Snowtrooper armor with full crushed fleece duster. The temperature was somewhere in the 90s with about 90% humidity. I was fully suited up without helmet for about 2 hours each day plus I had my helmet on for about 20 minutes. I had a great time even without a giant air conditioned building.

8. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Wow. I stand amazed. You must handle heat and humidity waaaaay better than me!

9. theropod

Mar 15, 2008
    It was literally a walk in the park. ;)

10. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    So now that the holidays are winding down, I'd like to take a look at the next steps for the float.

We need to dismantle the landspeeder before building the Hoth float. But do we need plans for Hoth before doing this? For example, might there be parts of the landspeeder (like the seats) that we'll be keeping?

My weekends in January are pretty open so I can get to a dismantle party with a little notice. I have 2 hammers, 1 mallet, a crowbar, corded drill, screwdrivers, and a powerful gun show (huzzah!). As far as trash from the demolition, I think the trailer itself can hold some long wood pieces that can be useful for the Hoth. And as for trash-trash, perhaps WOTR will let us use their dumpsters for heavy trash? I don't want to assume, but this would be good to find out.

Let's schedule demolition soon. Everyone is invited. Even if you don't like breaking stuff (and who doesn't, right?!?) you can bring food and drinks, provide moral support or be a DJ.

11. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    We've been talking about the Wampa for the float. I think this is an excellent idea and one we can start on without necessarily having the Hoth float done. It can be done separately from the float, I think and then

What will the body be made of? A plastic, metal? Paper mache is easy to form but seems too weak. The one that Mike created for his mini-golf course was very cool and stood up to the rigors of children...not an easy thing.

If we can get dimensions and a sketch for the Wampa going, we can start working on some key pieces, like the head and claws. I'll post some close up pictures of the Wampa key parts so we can start thinking about materials for eyes, nails, etc. Perhaps our resident RMFF artist extraordinaire can whip up a sketch for us? Pretty, please?

If I was in charge of the art department, the Wampa would look kinda like this.

12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    How about this?

[image=http://amygrant.files.wordpress.com/2006/08/cookie-monster.jpg]

LOL

In all seriousness, that sounds like a good plan. Oh yeah, plans would be good, also. ;)

13. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    dh has plans drawn up, maybe he can scan them tonight or maybe this can be a big part of the meeting in Jan.

He hasn't gotten a call back from the museum yet to set up dates yet, so he will try that again tomorrow. We are also thinking about taken out the screws & reusing as much of the wood as possible, so crow bars will be minimal???

I also asked dh to get us a list together of the type of items we will need to find/buy/trade for the float.

Who else is good with building things? A small committee might be nice to make this run smoothly?

14. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Fantastic! I think if we can post them before 1/16 that will make the meeting more productive and allow us to feel comfortable in getting it done.

"I am not a committee!"

But, seriously, I may not be the best at building things, but I would be happy to be grunt laborer. [face_monkey]

15. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    I can be a supplies gatherer.

16. theropod

Mar 15, 2008
    100 square feet of glistening artificial snow carpet for $3.

Right now Target has Christmas supplies on clearance for 90% off. Included with that (at least at the Boulder Target) is blankets of artificial snow covering at 29 cents per bag. Each bag covers about 10-12 square feet.

Besides snow, perhaps this could be a cheap solution for a fur covering for a Wampa...

These soft cottony blankets are probably great for using as fill for any pillowy costumes or crafts.

As a plus, it is also flame retardant.

I'm tempted to go and fill a shopping cart right now, although I have no use for so much fake snow other than donating it for a float or other Hoth project. (I am a 501st Snowtrooper after all)

Has anyone moved forward with recreating snow for the float/parade?

17. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Brack, that sounds awesome! I'll check out a Target or 2 on the way home and try to get some.

18. theropod

Mar 15, 2008
    Target is a couple blocks from my office and they have the snow right now.
    I'll go ahead and just swing by on the way home and load up a cart or two... at a cost of the change in my pocket. :)

19. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Lego-Stormtrooper-1 Former RMFF CR star 3

Apr 27, 2009

I'm all about building stuff...whether or not I'm good at it is up to interpretation! :) I'd gladly volunteer for this committee!

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Brack --that was brilliant!!!

I just got about 16-20 bags of the snow carpet, plus 6 bags of the powder fake snow flakes. I figure that can be used to dust things, maybe attach it with spray glue or hair spray. The Target at Prairie Center (I-76 and 144th) is now cleaned out. Cost me all of $7.00. [face_dancing] Considering that would have been $70 or so just a week ago, that is a major score.

21. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    Wow, that's awesome!! I was planning on going tomorrow to the Target at US-36 and Church Ranch, but maybe that's enough? It's hard for me to visualize how much the carpet covers. Hmmm.

22. theropod

Mar 15, 2008
    Hahaha, I got about 15 bags of snow carpet and 15 bags of the powder snow flakes too. Basically loaded up as much as the cart could hold. (But the Boulder Target still has a ton left)

I think we are all set for snow... I may even have to bring some of the bags of snow flakes to CV...

23. theropod

Mar 15, 2008
    Between Bill and I we have 300-400 square feet. We could carpet a Manhattan studio apartment with snow...

24. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    IIRC, each bag held material about 10-12 feet long and an inch thick, maybe 1 foot wide. With this, we will be able to add a layer or two on everything on the front of the float. The float can't be more than 200 square feet surface area, so this should be good.

That said, with as cheap as it is, if anyone wants to spens $.29/bag to get more.... [face_whistling] Maybe we could use some of the excess or any extra for the E-Web as well.

I can run to Colorado Mills at lunch today and see if they have more, just to be safe.

25. FanForced

Jun 15, 2007
    o_O