main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Parade Float

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by catz44, Jul 13, 2009.

?

Parade Float

Poll closed Jul 18, 2009.
  1. Skiff

5.3%
  2. Falcon

52.6%
  3. Sandcrawler

5.3%
  4. Ewok Village

31.6%
  5. Dagobah Swamp with Yoda's Hut

5.3%
  6. Hoth Scene

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The easiest way to handle the Wampa would be to use nothing but the arm on a lever coming out of the ice cave with a sound effect blaring the growl.

It's just cheesy enough to appeal to the crowds, and not so hideous looking that we'd be ashamed as SW fans to have it on the float

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I just got 12 more packs of snow blankets at Colorado Mills (they still have a ton of them). This should take care of the float and whatever the E-Web is on.

3. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    I think if we have the time to do a big, stationary Wampa, it can be the centerpiece and something people can point to and recognize. Wampa!

Some pics Wampa to get teh juices flowin':

[image=http://www.thedailydish.us/images/wampa.jpg]

[image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/59752007_85bdae605f.jpg]

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3321/3313065803_4e53fb96af.jpg]

[image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/277978891_40bb821830_m.jpg]

4. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    We have some Viking horns from an old Halloween costume. Those could work as the tips of the cheek horns.

5. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming. we will nail down all the details before construction. talked to matt a wotr saturdays work best for him, we can start deconstruction in the next couple of weekends.

6. theropod

theropod Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2008
    Just picked up another 100 sq feet of glistening snow blanket because I just know how much I'll be missing this cold weather come springtime. :rolleyes:

7. Jomama

Jomama Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2009
    If you got the time next week I'm ready to build or tear apart. Tear apart would bu more fun though, lets do that!

8. Tahiri_Solo14

Tahiri_Solo14 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2005
    This sounds like a great idea and I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. Although I may have to re-think the idea of re-vamping my Hoth Leia outfit. I think it's fair to say we need more females in Star Wars. ;)
    JediGold was talking about turning the stroller for her 3 year old into a Snowspeeder and dressing up her daughter as Luke. I don't think there will be a problem with her doing this and walking alongside the float, but she wanted me to ask. We'll probably make it out of coardboard.
    We'll have to see if work and other activities I have going alows me to help with this project. I am an artist so it would be a shame to let those skills got o waist.

9. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Great enthusiasm, Jomama. I'm pumped to get started, too.

We'll need to know the plans before we demolish so we know which parts are salvageable.

Jeff, I'm sure you've got a lot on your plate with nurse duties. Let us know what we can do. Can you post the design so we have a couple of days to check it out before the meeting? You mentioned that Saturdays worked best for WOTR. Since this Sat. is the meeting, let's get together on the 23rd for demolition day.

Does that work for you and everyone else?
    What supplies should we bring that day?

10. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    I will see if I can get the sketches posted in the next day or so. As far as demo, screw guns will be best. Everything on the float was screwed together so we wont be using crow bars and hammers to jack up the wood.

11. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    as soon as i can kick this thing i have i can help...right now still running fevers off and on.

12. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I might be there for support and that is it :p

I found a fabric that will save a ton of time sewing (and now that I have to keep one leg in the air at all times....) and we can dye it to the right color. It is only used for accents and it's on sale right now for 25% off, so once it goes off sale I can use my 40% off coupon & save more $$$.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3071&PRODID=xprd986475

I will still be on the look out for the rest of the materials.

13. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Jeff, any luck putting together some sketches? Thanks!

14. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I think I heard him talking to our art [face_monkey] and he was going to touch them up, could be wrong since I was on drugs.

15. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    Sorry dude, Been kind of busy with work and Kim. Being a cabana boy is hard work! I will see if I can get to the scanner in the next few days but I cant promise anything. Cory did mention taking my sketches and making them into full color renderings.

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Check out these goggles from the Sportsmans Guide:

[image=http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Nsy9Ry9bVy4/S08zqhxq3tI/AAAAAAAAj6g/MmzKsdSNYsc/s800/Hoth%20Goggle%20Comparison.JPG]

Honestly, I think they are the best match I have seen, as far as shape goes. Price is good. Question is: is there a yellow or green tint that can go on the lens to make it look right?

17. theropod

theropod Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2008
    I bet you could cut some welder's shield to fit in the lense slots. It should be flexible enough.

18. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    here are 2 sketches. dont laugh at my stick figures

[image=http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff64/darthhair/land%20speeder%20sketches/hothfloat.jpg]

[image=http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff64/darthhair/land%20speeder%20sketches/hothfloat2.jpg]

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Excellent! That gives us something to work from. Mind if I repost this at the Mountain Garrison? I know there are others who want to help.

What were the width and length of the trailer? That'll help scale things a bit.

Also, and this is just a thought... but if we go with this turret, and time gets limited, all you have to do is the top half of a Hoth trooper.

20. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    please dont re post these just yet. i will go over all the details at the meeting.

21. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
  22. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Will you bring print outs to the meeting or shall I print them out and bring them?

Thanks!

23. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    I can bring the originals to pass around.

24. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    Is the next working day still 2/13? Do you need me to gather any supplies before then?

25. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    :mad: Folks, I've been told I have to work on the 13th but I am trying to see if I can get it covered. If I can, I'll be there...:mad: