Parades/Charity Walks, Any Interest in Participating?

Discussion in 'St. Louis, MO' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Lately I've been thinking and talking to others about new stuff we might be able to do with the FanForce. One idea is to start doing some parades or charity walks in the area. A lot of other FanForces do them successfully and have a great time with them.

I've been looking into parades lately since it is almost that season again. The Mardi Gras parade is nice, but horrible expensive for a tiny little spot, not even a float, they get up in the thousands of dollars. Another option in the very near future is the St. Patrick Day's parade. It seems to be free from what I can tell, and if nothing else it has to be cheaper. Link to site. Thing is applications have to be in by 1/31/06 for this year's parade. So we'd have to decide in a hurry if we want to do it or not.

Then figure out what we're going to do, SW something of course, but what sort of SW? Float, walking, etc. The way I was thinking was we'd do it like we did the RotS event, costume if you have one or can borrow one, if not then a SW shirt or StL FF shirt. That way no one is excluded if s/he doesn't have a costume. We'd also have to think about creating or buying a banner with our info on it.

Thoughts?
  2. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, the St. Patrick's Day parade would be SWEET. I remember when I did that with the Ren Faire. That was very fun. And this time I have a much warmer costume to wear. :D

Float might be too expensive. I think a walk would be good.

And of course, if need be, I can make a banner and we can all try to print it out big... Not sure what that would entail, or the cost too...

This is a great idea. I was thinking we should do something like this soon.
  3. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Maybe we can make a banner, I mean sew one. I've done that in the past... Just need to come up with a good design, and I can do another... :D

Walking is cheaper...but how far are we talking? There may be some in the group that can't do long distances. I have never been to a parade here so I don't know the routes.

But I am game... :D
  4. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    The parade went by pretty fast, from what I remember. And I was in my ren faire garb, and I was freezing, and I had bad shoes. LOL. But it was still fun.
  5. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    The link up there gives the details, but I want to say 3-sih miles?
  6. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    It was somewhere around three miles. That's what our coordinator said when we did it.
  7. Dagobah_Diva Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm up for it as long as it isn't today.;)

Let's rig up a small trailer and pull it with a lawnmower LOL! Do they do that in the city? Or maybe use a convertible for some of us. I'd probably pull my kids along in a wagon.

I don't think it costs too much to have one of those plastic banners made up.

EDIT: I take it back. Banner
  8. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Wow! I think we could make one for half of the price of the small one.
  9. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd definately do something, but if I were going to, it'd have to be in the winter or early spring when it's cold enough for me to wear my costumes.

and when I'm in town of course...
  10. Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Master

star 3
    WOW that is a great idea! I so want to do this. I like you see several others participating in parades, fundraisers, and so on.

I just need to know what day to make SURE to take off.
    (Plus I have to get a real lightsaber from MR)
  11. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    I'll start the application tomorrow then :) I was hoping you guys would be up to give this a try.
  12. titania7 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I always do the Komen Walk for Women downtown each year. I think that it's being held the same Saturday as the regional meeting (is that still going on?) so that might be something fun to do with everyone.

There's always some GREAT costumes, but I've never seen any Star Wars ones! My group went as hippies last year, and I still have the tie-dyed shirt to prove it!
  13. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    I was thinking... Instead of a banner, maybe we could put the logo on one of our vehicles or something, decorate it up you know, and drive that down the street along with the people that are walking alongside of it. We could have SW music playing in the van/truck loud enough so people can hear it, and if anyone gets that tired, they could just hop inside or something.

Just an idea...
  14. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Truck>Van I think, easier to see people in there that way. Not a bad option though, car signs.
  15. yodaismygod Jedi Master

star 4
    Do I hear the sounds of stormies in the back of a truck doing a drive-by?
  16. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
  17. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Yes, actually you do :p

Application sent, now we wait.
  18. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    This is a wonderful idea! I would love to participate in any charity event. As for a parade I will have to get my butt in shape pretty quick for a 3 mile walk. I am so out of it. LOL!
    I walked the Kirkwood Greentree parade one year for Habitat for Humanity handing out brochures for the ReStore with Rowan. He was a great sport and walked the whole way. It was tough on both of us. LOL!
    Leash
  19. Dagobah_Diva Force Ghost

star 4
    I suppose we should also hand out some flyers with the site on it to drag in more people. The people walking could hand them out...and then of course, go in shifts while some rest riding on the tailgate and stuff.
  20. SteelLepp Jedi Knight

star 2
    This all sounds like fun. This kind of stuff was why I joined the 501st, except, being in the middle of BFE, not many events to do....lol
  21. Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Master

star 3
    Well I marked my calander to ensure I can try to be there.

This is why I joined, i enjoy doing things like this.
  22. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Well this is still very much up in the air so don't get your hopes too high yet. I applied but now we wait.

If people are willing to chip in big time we might be able to get the Mardi Gras parade, but that's a whole lot.
  23. Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Master

star 3
    So do they have only so many spots in the parade then? i know DH told me they were moving it downtown so it can be bigger then in Dogtown.
  24. -E- Force Ghost

star 3
    I've literally been in more parades than I can remember or count. I'm in!
    This is a great idea, long time coming.
    I won't have my new, good costume in time to do the spring shows, but it's not really being designed to do that anyway. It's more of an archival floorshow art-ish piece, rather than a walk-behind-the-horses-while-dragging-your-cape (If you know what I mean) thing. :p Plus, the shoes....gah. *shudder*

I'd love to do whatever I can to help with anything; this should be a lot of fun.
  25. Draco19 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I wouldn't mind helping out if we get in a prade, it sounds like it would be fun, but I would need a shirt or some kind of costume **sigh** I'll try and get a costume on my own, but may need help. but I'm in and will help out in some way or form.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.