main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Parades

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi-Nitess, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Nitess

Jedi-Nitess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Hey gang -
    Since parade season is upon us there's no time like the present to talk about this. I know there are people that won't march and I know there are others that can't but have offered to help in other ways.

Dave sent me a list of fireman's parade's in the area and I know there are probably some others as well. IF this is something we'd like to do as a group, we need to get cracking and start contacting people. Unfortunetly I can't do too much from my present location so everyone will have to help out if we want to get involved. And there are deadlines for parade entries and such.

Not everyone has to have a costume to march so don't let that stop you. Though we do have some time and can probably help get costumes together for people.

Please use this thread to post if you're interested and if there's anyway you can help out with contacting people. Even if we just use the list Dave sent out as a jumping point and contact a couple fire companies, it's a start. We have to make sure we have enough people that are willing to do this so we'll have a good turn out for the parades. Probably we could recruit help from other chapters but it would be nice to have interest from a good share of our members.

Just something to think about.

2. NightFire103

NightFire103 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2003
    Im interested.. I will need dates atleast 2-3 weeks in advance to request the days off.

3. Jedi-Nitess

Jun 26, 2002
    I know where I am they're asking for the people interested in being in the 4th of July parade to respond by next week. My guess is that it'll be the same in the Rochester area - that they'll want at least a month's notice as to who wants to take part in the parade.

So if we can get some more info I'm sure we'll know at least a few weeks in advance.

4. palpiscloneofdarth

palpiscloneofdarth Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2003
    I will do some marching. I want some kind of costume. Just going as my self is not to tempting.

5. NightFire103

Feb 19, 2003
    The 4th I know is a no-go for me =( I knwo for a fact I will be working

6. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I would like to do a parade. We do not need costumes. Club shirts is good. That is what I will be wearing. A mix a both would be great. Or just any star wars shirt. We need some kind of sign or banner of course, I would think. I will help out as much as I can. Who's parade do we want to do for the 4th if we do one that day?

7. theEmps

theEmps Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2003
    I'll march. I think that the more people dressed up, the better. I dont know if I'll be in costume, but sign me up. I want to go.

8. NightFire103

Feb 19, 2003
    I will see if I can get a hold of the guy I worked with a year or so back. If I remember right he had numbers to a few other people who made banners. I'll keep you posted

9. DARKSIDER03

DARKSIDER03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2003
    Here's just an idea for guys-
    It's just a suggestion. It might
    be too much work for you. Or maybe people
    won't be that interested. But it's just
    an idea. Mull it over and see what you
    all think:

Alot of fire companies and parade organizers
    in different areas let entrys use "floats"
    that they have constructed to be pulled in
    the parade. For example: in Scottsville they have a few parades every year at different times. A X-Mas one in December, a Memorial day one in May, and a General Fireman's parade in the Summer. Lot's of groups get involved with there own independent "floats". Most of which get pulled by somebodys pickup truck or other vehicles.

In my son's BoyScout Den, we all
    made a float on a long flat-bed trailer with a tall four corner frame. It had top & bottom rails. The front & back were closed. But the sides (which is what most everybody sees) were completely open for viewing. It was made to look like a room in a house inside. It was all decorated with lights in and out. Plus we had a X-Mas tree all lit up in side and somebody furnashed a "fiber-optic" WAll-sized Fireplace picture which worked! Making it look like we were all sitting by the fireplace. As a dressed up Santa & Mrs. Claus stood around us.(the kids all sat around.) We pulled the flat-bed float by pick-up truck. It worked out great!

Anyhow, do any of you know somebody who has
    one of those flat-bed trailers(you need a long one)??

You all could build your own "Star Wars Float" !!

Most of you could ride in it and if it has anything that needs power, you can use a generator in the back of the pickup truck.

You could design it like part of a starship
    or anything really. Maybe like those wide-open view windows- like in the rebel medical frigate. Characters could stand there looking out at the crowd. You can make it complicated or simple. All it takes is some imagination, ingenuity, and a Group EFFORT of teamwork to craft it all.

Think about it-
    if you guys can create costumes you can certainly step it up a notch! Lot's of people do stuff like this all of the time. If a girl could turn her car into an X-wing,
    you guys can make a "Star Wars Float" !
    (There are fan groups that work on Star Wars cars) Actually, one of the most elaborate floats in existence is a full-size "real-looking" Tantive-4 Rebel Blockade Runner!!
    It travels around the country to different parades.

You certainly don't need to make something that complicated or acurate. But if want to do it- you guys could certainly make a decent float that would look real cool for your parades!

Anyhow, thats just an idea...
    You guys mull it over.
    If you have any questions on how to
    do anything, then just drop me a line.
    Or reply post.

I'm just trying to give you guys a CREATIVE idea. You need to decide if you want to use it.

Your friend,

Darksider03

10. Jedi-Nitess

Jun 26, 2002
    We do still have club t-shirts left over from the Imax sale available if anyone wants one to march in or otherwise - I think they're $10. You'll have to check with Ryan for sizes but I know he's got some.

Dave suggested since he couldn't march that he'd be willing to drive a truck or something. *looks to Dave* Can't remember what he suggested though...but a float would be a great idea if we could pull it off.

Jeff - I don't have a clue who does 4th of July parades up there...did you have a suggestion of a parade we may wanna look into?

:)

~ Katie

11. DarthCrambette

DarthCrambette Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2002
    I won't be able to participate in anything for July 4th because I'll be in Long Island for my neice's Baptism, but otherwise I'm willing to help with anything.

12. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    A float is an interesting and good idea but we may not have the time and or resources. I don't know. I know that there is a Henrietta and Fairport Parade on the 4th. I am assuming the city does as well. I am up for it but maybe everyone will be spending the day with their families. I know Rush Fire Dept. has a Parade and Carnival in the summer. I do not know anything about it though.

13. theEmps

theEmps Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2003
    would this float have a dark side theme? Or would it cater more towards the rebel alliance. Does anyone have any imperial flags? We could wage a staged battle over the float, and change the flag during the parade. Arms being cut off left and right. Let me know what you think...

14. NightFire103

Feb 19, 2003
    Thanks Emp, Now you got me wanting an Imperial Flag. hehe

15. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    I think it might be possible to make one, even if it's just with fabric paint and stuff. :p

16. Jedi-Nitess

Jun 26, 2002

Fusible web...that works pretty well...

17. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Just a few tips for you guys....I used to build the floats for the Rose Parade in California and its a blast!
    I designed one here for the St pattys parade (many moons ago) and we managed to get all donations for the float as long as we made a BIG sign thanking all of our sponsors on the back of the float ;)

Just something to think about.......also you need a big space to build it in (perhaps someones garage) and lots of helping hands.....good luck guys!

18. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Lets do a remake of the Anakin/Amidala wedding complete with backless dress, random useless priest and of course the lovable RS and 3P0

I'll be Anakin of course. These dashing good looks must be shown for all the world to see

and then I'll brainwash them all and take over this City muhahahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.