main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Parallels between Star Wars and Ancient Rome

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Morhs, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Morhs

Darth_Morhs Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2005
    You may have noticed this before, but Star Wars is very similar to ancient Rome. Here are a few parallels:

-Both start out as a Republic, then turn into an Empire

-Both were taught and protected by some group, then betrayed them. (Rome: Etruscans, Star Wars: Jedi)

-Both were slowly brought down by a smaller, more diligent force (Rome: Germans, Huns, etc., Star Wars: Rebel Alliance)

-Arena Execution Scene in AOTC = Gladiator fights

-Both main rulers were in their position much longer than they were supposed to be (Julius Caesar was a dictator who was supposed to be in power for 6 mos., Palpatine served a VERY long term.)

-Both had a corrupt Republic

-Both Palpatine and Julius Caesar were betrayed by someone they trusted, and were killed. (Brutus and Vader)

2. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I have always noticed this,but have never found any evidence that Lucas based Star Wars off of any thing that had to do with Ancient Rome.
    Both also had a grand army.

Very good observation.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

3. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Also, the Roman Empire had provincial governors with military power throughout their reign, just like the Galactic Empire. I have always thought that the regional governors in star wars resembled these ancient consular rulers, rather than what we today think of when we hear the word "governor".

But we shouldn't forget that the Empire is inspired by many different things, not just the Roman state. For example, Nazy Germany was another obvious inspiration IMO.

4. DARTH-SODA

DARTH-SODA Jedi Master star 2

Jun 29, 2005
    not so much with thw roman Empire, but when we learned about the Holy Roman Empire during the Middle Ages this year, we learned of Louis XIV proclaimng "L'État, c'est moi", whihc means "I am the State", very similar to how Palaptaine says, I Am the Senate, in EpIII.

5. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    I think there was a rather extensive thread in this forum perhaps about a year ago dealing with historical references and comparisons in the saga. The thread did deal quite a bit with comparisons to the Roman republic and Empire. Perhaps one of the moderators can dig up that old fossil. It was an interesting thread.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I think we have a thread on this already. If I find it, I'll post a link.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There's alot of themes in SW that connect with historical events:

Rome becoming an Empire
    Louis XIV tranformation of feudal France into a centralized monarchy. Relied heavily on bribes and corruption to subjugate the aristocracy.
    Hitler (Palpatine) betraying the SA (Jedi) to gain support
    Hitler's genocide

8. Jedi_Master_Johns

Jedi_Master_Johns Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2005
    Far out dude, I posted a thread with this exact same title and discussion a few months ago. Its a very interesting topic.

RJ

9. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    ^^^^

well put: Louis XIV, the Sun King, the greatest of all the Bourbons rabble
    btw Louis XIV was the King of France and had nothing to do with Holy Roman Empire which was ruled by Emperor Leopold. not sure if u r saying that Louis XIV was of the Saint-Empire. Because the King of France and his nominal-sovereign, the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, were bitter rival!!!

dont forget the influence of Napoleon's self-decleration of Emperor in May 1804 from First-Consul-for-Life on SW. The only thing missing are the French Imperial War Eagles as banners of the clones legions as they ravage, pillage and burn the Galaxy all in the name of Mau'dib and the Jehad. ohhhh i miss Dune, the greatest of all the books

btw there are many people in history like Caesar, but for some reason he (Caesar) happnes to be the most known probabaly b/c the implication that Rome had on Europiean "World" history. and the rise of Imperial Rome. i say he is overated.

Napoleon, Chengiz Khan, Alexander were greatest of all IMHO and many others from Asia whose name is not even mention in Europiean "World" history.

10. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    A lot of those also apply to France. Whenever someone talks about the greatness of the "French Revolution", I have to laugh -- because they alternated between Republic, Empire, and Kingdom several times in the last 200 years. How else do you go from Kingdom to Republic to Empire in a mere 20 years (French Revolution -> Napoleon). While the Hitler/Weimark Republic analogy is often cited, I want to read more about this era, because France has been a highly unstable democracy and the dynamics repeat rapidly.

11. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    BTW regarding links to Rome, one obvious visual link is the Royal Guard (look how they start out in TPM, they look convincingly like Roman soliders). Not to mention the obvious Greco-Roman influence on Naboo and the Jedi Temple.

I wish I could remember who it was, but one Roman Emperor had such disdain for the Senate that he killed one of the senators and replaced him with a horse. Literally, there was a horse taking a Senator's position in the Roman Senate. When Palpatine selects Jar-Jar to step in for Padme in AOTC, I always think of that :)

12. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Janstett wrote, "I wish I could remember who it was, but one Roman Emperor had such disdain for the Senate that he killed one of the senators and replaced him with a horse. Literally, there was a horse taking a Senator's position in the Roman Senate."

That was Caligula ("Little Boots"), real name "Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.