main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Parallels in the sequel trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by swcolts1277, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So what if it has been featured in 4 of 6 movies?
    Did TESB suffer from not going to Tatooine?

Who says it will be well crafted? We could well be in for total nostalgia overload with Abrams as director and Arndt as writer. Toy Story is pure, unabashed sentimentality and the new Trek was a bit on the sentimental side as well (still fun movie, though).

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, who says it won't be? Neither of us carry a crystal ball. I suppose I just have faith.

As I said, Star Wars has a history of carrying certain elements from the prior tales forward without allowing it to affect the new story in a negative way. George Lucas was able to successfully make it an important part of the Star Wars movie experience - it's already been proven that it can be done.

Maybe only Lucas can pull it off convincingly. Maybe three trilogies is one too many, and some folks will be crying "I've seen this before." Maybe if they don't to it, other folks will be crying "This isn't Star Wars." Like I said, no crystal ball. That said, until the people who are making these new films prove me wrong, I see no reason to doubt that this tradition cannot, or should not, continue.

3. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I just think there are 30 years to fill and he will have found his way home by the time episode 7 begins.... You can take the boy out of tattoine, but you can't take tattoine out of the boy.... hahah

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm just a glass half empty person even if I very much look forward to the ST.

Anyway, you can fault Lucas for many things, but a lack of ambition isn't one of them. The idea of the PT, to tell an actual tragedy, was great. It takes a lot of courage to do something like that. Lets see how ambitious Iger and Arndt and Abrams are.

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm torn on parallels because sure some are nice *like the inevitable hand cut off* but some come at the great risk of being seen as repetative and I dont want this trilogy to come off as a repetative mess trying too hard to be like its predecessors.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Part of most hero's journeys is "you can't go home again"... he outgrew Tatooine. He has no reason to go back there, unless he REALLY misses those sunsets. Kenobi's hut holds no more mysteries... the Lars Homestead is a site of pain... Jabba's palace belongs to the desert, or whatever others claimed it in the aftermath of his death. Mos Eisley, Mos Espa... bleh.

It was in FIVE out of 6 movies, tho its shortest appearance was in ROTS--ESB didn't suffer one bit by only having a MENTION of Tatooine.

New worlds can provide the twin sun visual, easily. Other worlds will probably mean more to Luke, emotionally or spiritually. Just because Tatooine was in 5 of the 6 films doesn't mean it SHOULD or MUST be in any more. It was important to the Skywalker legacy, but the actual Skywalkers' take on its importance was "I really don't like it here."

It's a backwater world. Just let it BE a backwater world that nobody ever goes to in this new trilogy! There's a whole galaxy out there we could be seeing more of... why a desert world filmed in actual desert locations that made things pretty miserable for the cast & crew?

Rawne and Darth_Pevra like this.
  7. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Sounds rather like Monty Python's Fish Slapping sketch in a galaxy far, far away.

Darthchrontis likes this.
  8. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Well said.

9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The ending of VIII should definitely include a cliffhanger.

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    A New Hope : ( includes special edition )

Features Tatooine
    Mentor Dies Battling a Sith ( hero shouts noooo ! )
    Jabba the Hutt makes a cameo
    Space Battle at the end
    The Heroes end up in a situation in water
    A major player is rescued
    A big celebration takes pace right at the end
    A large enemy space craft is destroyed

The Phantom Menace :

Features Tatooine
    Mentor dies battling a sith ( hero shouts noooo ! )
    Jabba the Hutt makes a cameo
    Space battle at the end
    The Heroes end up in a situation in water
    A major player is rescued
    A big celebration takes place right at the end
    A large enemy space craft is destroyed

Episode VII :

Features Tatooine ( Probably )
    Mentor Dies battling a sith ( hero shouts noooo ! ) ( possibly )
    Jabba the hutt makes a cameo ( no but a Hutt probably will appear )
    Space battle at the end ( 100% sure )
    The Heroes end up in a situation in water ( probably )
    A major player is rescued ( 100% sure )
    A big celebration takes place right at the end ( probably )
    A large enemy space craft is destroyed ( 100 % sure )

11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    VIII features Cloud City.

12. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    how about if the hero gets cut down the middle and one half becomes a robot thing and the other is 'normal'? how's that for cyborgs!

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Darth Rage!

14. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    they should show his formation-blood and guts everywhere! (great for a disney movie)