main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Paramount hands the new Star Trek movie to J.J. Abrams: Benedict Cumberbatch is cast in new sequel

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Apr 21, 2006.

1. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    This ought to cause some talk.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

What do you think everybody?

2. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

I don't know. To quote another space franchise, "I've got a bad feeling about this." :p

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It's an interesting choice, one that I really didn't see coming. Abrams is a good director and writer though, I'm sure that he'd do a good job with it.

4. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    JJ Abrams is great, but I wonder if he'll be able to pull this one off...

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So the next Trek film will be about about Kirk and Spock going through Starflet Academy? This could either be great or a disaster. It all depends on the casting, I think.

It seems that this idea has been kicking around for quite awhile.

Click

6. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I've got huge faith in JJ's capabilities. He'll be fine and this movie will be great.

A good barometer of JJ's ability at directing a huge motion picture will be M:i:III, but I've got faith in him.

Also, this film had better show Kirk cheating at the Kobiashi Maru scenario. I've always wanted to see how he beat that thing.

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Both rumours have been around for a while now, especially the Starfleet Academy one (there was a script for that movie written after ST5, but it was replaced with ST6 instead). Should be interesting, anyway.

8. PuccaKenobi

PuccaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2004

Didn't Kirk and Spock first meet each other on the Enterprise? I wasn't aware they knew each other in the academy

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Its possible. There is a series of Trek books about the Enterprise D bridge staff going through the Academy, not to all together but they do bump into each other on a few occaisions.

10. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    I remember reading those for a while.

Wasn't Shatner pushing for a "young Kirk" movie for a while? Interesting that it seemed to have bene pulled off after so long of Paramount saying they weren't doing another Trek.

11. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    So who will play the "younger" Kirk and Spock?

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know, but as I said casting will be key.

13. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I didn't even know they were making a #11....the "odds" are against it though ;)

14. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Paramount must really love what Abrams has done with Mission: Impossible to give him Star Trek.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Either that or they want to shake things up by bringing in someone who has a more dynamic style and has no previous experience with Trek, which potentially could be very good.

BTW for those of you who are thinking that this is just a rumor, its not Confirmation cen be found on CNN.com.

16. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Yep, fresh blood is good and you'll see, JJ will "get" it.

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I thought they were done with Star Trek for the moment? Or is that just TV shows?

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, that might just be the TV shows, although if done right, this could lead to a Starfleet Academy tv series ro perhaps Kirk's early career. Either way this idea has some intersting possibilities.

19. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I'm a little meh on the story, but JJ is a great choice. I'll be pulling for him.

20. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I wonder what happened to Paramount's fair-haired Star Trek overseer,
    Rick Berman? There's no mention of him at all.

And that's probably for the best. :)

They need fresh blood and ideas.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm surprised they went this route- the Romulan War idea sounded a lot more interesting.

22. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    StarTrek.com has confirmed the news.

$50 says that the numbers will appear ;)

23. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Also, this film had better show Kirk cheating at the Kobiashi Maru scenario. I've always wanted to see how he beat that thing.

Didn't he just reprogram it so that it was a winnable scenario?

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    We know that he reprogrammed the similator, but we don't know EXACTLY what he did to win.

25. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Yeah, he failed it twice and then hacked the program. He received a commendation for original thinking.