main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Paranoid Disney demands "no fly" zones, vanishes Twitter account to "protect" Ep VII "secrets"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kev Snowmane, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    This happens all the time. For example, if the Rolling Stones are having a concert in a public park and have worked with the local government to secure permits, they are within their rights to put "no trespassing" signs up and block off the back stage. Anyone unauthorized to be back stage would be removed. Perfectly reasonable and normal....

EHT likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. You are wrong. Protecting one's financial investment is nothing but fascism.

#HyperbolicHitlerComparison

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Kind of like keeping an organized forum, right?

4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    You guys are literally Hitler

Or is it Orwell? Whatever....whichever one is worse, you guys are that.

5. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    First Disney came for Stan Lee, claiming they owned the rights to his Marvel Characters, and I did nothing because I liked the movies Disney has done with those characters. Then Disney came for Deadmou5, and I did nothing, because I didn't know who the hell Deadmou5 is.

But then...Disney came for me, and there was no one left to stand for me.

Sarge and Scummy_and_Villainous like this.
  6. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Hey, according to rumors, you get to open the movie.

7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think this is probably what speaks to me.

Is Disney free to go about keeping this film as secret as they like? Sure. Is it a wise policy? Depends on one's p.o.v., I think. Are they somehow "wrong" for wanting to go to lengths to protect their IP? I don't feel as though they are, no.

But if folks are on public land, in public airspace or floating on public waters? Then as far as I'm concerned, Disney has no say whatsoever (and no grounds to expect otherwise).

If someone is resourceful enough to get spoilers from public areas? Good on them. Don't like it? Tough. Build a bigger fence, you know?

Bear in mind, I'm a fan and supporter of Disney/Lucasfilm, but I think it's presumptuous to expect civilians in public areas to act in accordance with anyone's wishes but their own. [face_dunno]

8. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Chris Nolan, who's not exactly a spoiler-loving guy, didn't send the cops after people standing on public sidewalks filming the Bane vs. Batman fight, which included even bigger spoilers than that climatic sequence. He also didn't threaten take-down notices for the pictures/videos of those fans. No one's asking Disney to leave a bootleg of the movie online. Just to have some perspective and maybe exercise a little restraint in dealing with these fans.

Also, given that this forum was awash in the posting and discussion of leaked property from Disney, something about glass houses comes to mind...

Chewgumma likes this.
  9. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I keep hearing Bryan Cranston's character from Godzilla yelling, "What's really happening is that you're hiding something out there, AND I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW!!!!"

10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    If Disney/LFL had contacted us to ask us to remove those images, we would have done so.

11. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    The above "glass houses" comparison is not even remotely analogous. While we here search for spoilers and like to read them, we're not on the front lines sneaking pictures from Pinewood, or personally sitting in trees trying to scope pictures.

Following that poster's logic, it is perfectly acceptable for peeping toms to take pictures of you naked as long as they're on public land.

EHT likes this.
  12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Yes, but if police personally showed up to make you delete pictures you took on public land, you might think it a bit overkill.

Ugh. Pure ridiculousness. Taking a picture of production work being done in view of the public isn't equivalent to photographing a person through their bedroom window, at all. Not even remotely. Frankly, it's offensive and unhelpful to make that comparison.

And I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth.

Immortiss and Chewgumma like this.
  13. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    That happens all the time...it's called "voyeurism" and it is illegal. Just because one takes pictures from public land does not make the act of taking those pictures legal....

EHT likes this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    That's not really the same thing as saying, "given that this forum was awash in the posting and discussion of leaked property from Disney, something about glass houses comes to mind...". And let's face it, nobody taking those pictures thought it was something that was totally OK to take pictures of anyway. They knew they weren't taking pictures of ducks in a park.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    My point is several here are saying the dad who took his son to the park and snapped some pictures is guilty of an criminal act punishable by police action and lawsuits, while the forums have consumed and discussed illegally-obtained images. If taking a picture of a film set makes him equivalent to a peeping Tom (seriously, Luke'sSeveredHand?), what does it make all of us here?

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    If by "that poster," you're referencing my post, let's be reasonable.

I'm not suggesting that it's okay for someone on public land to do something unlawful to get their scoops. But as far as I can tell, someone climbing a tree on public land, or renting a boat to float on public waters, or flying over free airspace has done nothing illegal.

Disney may not like to see photos taken, but as far as I know, there is no law which protects them from being photographed. Peeping Toms taking nude photographs? Now who's being not even remotely analogous?

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I see your point, and I'll just repeat this and be done with this conversation. [face_peace]

If Disney/LFL had contacted us to ask us to remove those images, we would have done so.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I was replying to 'Severed Hand, there, EHT. Your post was just in the quote tree, and I neglected to remove it.

Of course you would remove them, and I wouldn't blame you for doing so. Having and maintaining a positive relationship with Lucasfilm is something to be encouraged at this site, I think.

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm pretty sure he was replying to me, but I agree with what you say.

EHT,

Yes, I know you would and I respect that. I do think the dad mentioned in the piece was treated harshly, though. [face_peace]

EHT likes this.
  20. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    The fact is the production has a right to privacy. The peeping tom example was extreme on purpose, because either you or your cohort was painting with the broad brush that taking pictures of a closed set from public property is perfectly legal -- when in fact it is not. When one secures permits to film at a location, and one closes that portion of the property allowed in an attempt to protect IP and privacy, it is perfectly legal. But what do I know, I'm just a lawyer....

EHT likes this.
  21. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The only part of this that kind of rubs me the wrong way is the fact that Kathy Kennedy said she knew this kind of stuff would get out there, and that they were going to embrace it and have a more open relationship with the fans who are clamoring for it. I get the feeling that a majority of this was instigated by Abrams and his... oh hell I don't even want to use the words.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The thing with the final showdown in TDKR is that there was no way for Nolan to stop that. He was operating on a public street with a number of buildings that were occupied with people. Disney, on the other hand, cornered off a public park with permission of the city so that they could film there and in private. As noted, it's one thing to stumble upon it by accident. It's another to deliberately go there and take photos.

BTW, Disney's lawyers.

[​IMG]

23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    As ThreeDeathstickProblem says, I was actually replying to him... we replied at almost the same time and I didn't go back to edit my post to quote him. Sorry for the confusion.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  24. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
  25. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Not sure I agree with that. When word got out TDKR filming locations, the main source of videos was a guy who went there day after day, with the sole purpose of getting pictures/video. The crew put up walls and green-screens to hide the plot twist reveal, but it got out. In response, WB and Nolan didn't remove the footage from YouTube, or threaten the fans with lawsuits. I'm really not sympathetic to the argument a dad walking through a park with his son is violating the rights of a multi-billion dollar corporation.

Chewgumma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.