main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Paranormal Activity (original, sequels & spin-offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Oct 10, 2009.

1. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    It's a better alternative to SAW :p

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Saw PA2 last night. Fantastic movie. I may need to see it again to be sure, but my first reaction is that its a better movie then the first. I won't go into too much detail, but it expands and improves the original movie, while still telling its own complete story. Very good movie.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Please tell me that none of the characters in this one are as annoying as Micah was in the first one. I hated that tool with a passion.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, none of the new characters are (though I guess the daughter might come closest, but nowhere near as bad), but this sequel is primarily a prequel, so Micah shows up a couple times. Does that count? ;)

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    It's topping the box office...

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New trailer for PA4 is out.

The carrying-laptop-around concept seems even less plausible than the camera one, but at least it's different. Also, another great example of how the Kinect is great for anything other than actually playing video games with ;).

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    What was the 3rd like? I only saw the first 2.

9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Looks kind of cool. I watched the first 3 all in one weekend last year. Parts of it were scary, parts made me giggle. "MICAAAAAAH! MICAAAAAAAAAH!"

It didn't help that one of the roomies stumbled in drunk about halfway into #2.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'll have to see 4 in theater. I'm of the view that 1 was really good, 3 was probably the creepiest (and most relatable), but 2 was weak, jumped all over the place, and a tad cliche.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually recall finding the second one the scariest (the whole staircase dragging thing in particular) but I think 3 did a good job of doing new things with the premise, especially considering the chronological technology restrictions.

I am glad that 4 is moving forward though, instead of being a sidequel or prequel.

12. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I think the issue with 2 was that it wasn't believable. the whole premise for the cameras wasn't logical. And I'm already over the "religious Hispanic person that understands the spirit world" cliche.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought the security cameras approach was the most logical of all the film's found footage premises, actually.

The Hispanic woman wasn't entirely a cliche though- she was more of a fill-in for the Preist from the first film; their token "religious person can sense the demon" role rather than a specific racial cliche.

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    The issue was it made no sense WHY they had security cameras. In the 1st and 3rd, it's believable that they have the cameras and are filming that much. the "overblown reaction to security cameras" was distracting for me.

And as for the cliche.... Paranormal Activity 2, Drag Me to Hell, and Devil came out in 2009-2010 and all had the wise Hispanic character that is spiritual and understands what's going on. It feels very cookie cutter and playing to a growing Hispanic demographic.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A few years back at work we got robbed. By the next week we had 20-30 security cameras installed. Now, granted, that's a business not a residence, but I don't see it being an over the top reaction for a family that clearly could afford it.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, but they weren't robbed. And I mean, understand that my house has a security camera, but I'm also the only person I know that I know of having any security cameras for a residence.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've only ever seen the films in theaters, so it's been a couple years since I saw PA2, but didn't they think they were robbed? Or, at the very least, think someone trashed/squatted in their place while they were away?

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why did you guys title the thread this way, instead of just making some generic reference to the series as a whole? Are you trying to pre-emptively exclude any discussion of Paranormal Activity 5 (Because, you know, that's the point when the concept will start to get overdone?)?

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm sure somebody can edit the title, when the time is right... don't worry.

I got into this series this year, and love them. I agree that 2 is the weakest (though I still like it).

20. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Oh guess I'll watch the 3rd tonight then. I loved the first but kind of hated the 2nd for the predictableness/clicheness.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We usually just add the sequels into the titles of a lot of franchise threads when they're announced. 1, 2 & 3 were already in the title already, so I added 4, etc. Other franchises we just keep generic.

Some need it (Resident Evil, for example, to distinguish between the games, films and animated movies), some don't (The Chronicles of Riddick). Other threads its simply because a thread for a sequel was made before one for the series (Jurassic Park IV).

It also helped prevent people from making a redundant, separate thread for a sequel that doesn't need it's own thread (as opposed to something that will get a ton of discussion and could support it's own thread for each installment, ie: the Marvel films, Pirates films, Hobbit/LOTR, etc).

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Paranormal Activity 4 was disappointing. It's nowhere near as good as the first three. And not very scary, either. There's a few clever bits but they don't have the impact of their counterparts in the prior films. There's also no key sequence of sustained terror like the last two had. Ending isn't too bad.

Still, unlike the previous films, I can't really recommend this one, even though it does have some likeable characters. I think it's just because they didn't use the demon as much this time around (then again, they almost over-used him in PA3, so maybe they were trying to balance things out?).

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there's two new movies in the works: they've green-lit both Paranormal Activity 5 (not a surprise, given the dangling plot threads left to be resolved and the high profit ratio of the box office performance, even if it is less than the previous sequels), as well as the Latino spin-off (a Latino setting, same demon, mix of English and Spanish dialogue) that was teased in a brief clip after the credits of PA4.

The spin-off will be directed by the writer of the three sequels and will be hitting in the spring. PA5's director/writer haven't been announced yet and will be hitting Halloween (as usual)..

In addition to this, though this is not new news per se, it was the first I had read about it, but apparently there was also an unofficial sequel to PA made in Japan called Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night (though international releases have dropped the number from the title), dealing with someone getting into a car accident with Katie (presumably in Tokyo) and the demon following that character afterwards.

So, given all those additions, Jabba-Wocky's earlier comments kinda come into play as far as the title starting to get ridiculous, so I've gone and edited it to something more general.

24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Ghostwatch > Paranormal Activity

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    PA is, I see, going down the Saw route of starting as a cheap, stripped down alternative to the complicated mythology driven horror franchises and then just turning into the new iteration.

I mean, you can't do a movie a year for very long before you start sucking, folks. That's just the math.