main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(Parents house) Why was this scene cut?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Count_Nikki, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    If you watch the intros before the deleted scenes on the DVD, Lucas and other production people explain exactly why each deleted scene was cut. I was watching them just last night but I don't remember what he said for this scene in particular. Something about the length of the movie, and the information being redundant or something.

2. Saora_Bin

Saora_Bin Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    I do like how R2 started playing with the kids. It was pretty funny.

In fanbase terms, it showed that R2 is more than a small ball of steel that occasionally saves everyone. He has a character too, people.

3. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "But you have to look at the scene and ask what it adds to the over all story. If it does not add any thing then why keep it? Sure I like it but it does not add any thing as to the voer all main story."

it adds some indication that Padme could believably fall for anakin, which is not remotely indicated anywhere in the movie. and since the movie is based around the romance, and it is terrible and impossible to believe, the movie suffers greatly because of it.

"If you watch the intros before the deleted scenes on the DVD, Lucas and other production people explain exactly why each deleted scene was cut. I was watching them just last night but I don't remember what he said for this scene in particular. Something about the length of the movie, and the information being redundant or something."

Yes but in many instances they are wrong.

For example, Burtt said they deleted jango out of the seperatist meeting scene so that the audience wouldn't know if Dooku was good or bad, so you wouldn't know he was behind the assassination attempts, but 10seconds before that scene Dooku clearly admits to being behind the attacks.

The yoda floating chair scene is another example, Lucas said they used that scene to combine the landing pad scene and another scene. But the floating chair scene is horrendously pointless, while the landing pad scene has way more information.

the queen jamilla scene is useless and could easily have been cut, and then the first family scene could be left in. Even the arrival on naboo is useless and could also be cut.

plus there are lots of small cuts throughout the film which would reduce the running time and improve the pacing and logic of the story that would mare then account for the screentime it takes to have the family dinner scene, which is essential for the love story.

Was learning about Palo important? that moment was junk but it got left in.

4. 2poor4hyperspace

2poor4hyperspace Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2004
    I liked it as well as the Padme's bedroom scene, it made them seem more human, but it was kinda weird because it seemed like it took place in a suburban neighborhood, not an alien planet.

5. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    The music when they were arriving at the house is just beautiful. I almost cry everytime I hear it. A&P are in such love there. I love this whole scene.

6. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I have to say I didn't like these scenes. They struck me as being quite soap opera-esque. And the dialogue was not particularly good.

I would have liked some scenes with Padme's family to give her more character and add more of a human touch - but only if they were done better.

7. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Its the only scene where I think Portman really comes alive in the film. But the bedroom scene was smartly cut, that scene doesnt really hit the mark nor progress the story.

8. xxstefanx

xxstefanx Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2005
    "However, I would NOT have cut the extended arrival to Naboo. It would have only added about one extra minute to the film, and really explained Padme's motivation for loving Anakin in only a few short lines."

@Mace Windy

EXACTLY!

But I have to add that the "Padme's Parents" adds the extra nuance which is needed for romance (well, at least SW romance!;)). It's a start to say "having a family and children..." but that's not enough!(Anakin is clear, its Padme's perspective that's missing! Agreed to Rebel Scumb!!!)

Besides Padme's parents are shown in ROTS so there is an additional argument reinserting it for continuity!

BOTH scenes should make their way in for a "final" version. They would make the film a lot better - at least for me!

Time purposes cannot count here as the development of their strong relationship/love is essential to the PT and is the main reason for anakin's downfall in ROTS.

Again, BOTH Scenes have to be in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.