main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Park sabers worth the investment ?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jediknight_Wendy, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. master_ghost

master_ghost Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    I'm thinking about getting a parks saber, but I can't decide on one thing. Should I get a blue blade or yellow blade?

2. vegeta021

vegeta021 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2000
    I would recommend a Blue blade. I have a Parks Shadow (i love that thing) with a blue blade. I have seen green, yellow, and red. In my opinion the blue is the best choice.

3. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Definitely get the blue. Its really great. :D

4. Kaze87

Kaze87 Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2005
    I would recommend a Blue blade. I have a Parks Shadow (i love that thing) with a blue blade. I have seen green, yellow, and red. In my opinion the blue is the best choice.

Mind getting some pictures of each of the colors? I'm going to get a Parks soon and need to decide on the color.

5. jabba974

jabba974 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2004
    I have an orange blade for my parksaber, while it looks really good, when you turnit on it fades alot, kinda like orange sherbert.

6. SaberClaw

SaberClaw Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2004
    Okay but the question has yet to be answered descively. ARe Parks sabers of quality to duel with, and if so which types?
    His isght explictly states they are not, yet some of the posts on this thread indicate that they may be. COuld you fill a would be Sith Hunter in?

7. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I have yet to invest in a parksaber, but I still can't understand one thing. The technology. How does the ilumination technology work?

8. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    SaberClaw: The site and the blade themselves state that they are not for dueling. I think that it is a statement made for concerns about liability. Not for durability. One of the people at Parks told me that you can basically try to wrap the thing around a tree and it won't break. Not that I would try it. ;)
    He just doesn't want someone doing something stupid, getting hurt, and then sueing him.

9. SaberClaw

SaberClaw Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2004
    Jediknight_Wendy, thank you for your response. Is that true for all types?

10. DarkLordChristopher

DarkLordChristopher Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Hello, I have been thinking about buying a saber for a long time but I can't decide.

Parks looks awesome hands down, but I like Light tech's blades way better.

Are they interchangable?

Also does anyone know the exact size of these el blades from both companies?

Thanks in advance

11. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I have never been able to break a Parks blade. I cannot say the same for L-tech blades (snapped 2)
    Worth every penny! You will not regret it!

Both companies use a 3/4 diameter blade with either EL wire (L-Tech) or EL Sheet (Parks).
    They have removeable blades with a plug/socket system. The blades are held in with a thumbscrew, or a set screw.
    They run off one or two 9 volt batteries. Parks are made so Enegizers fit better than Duracell batteries.
    Green is the brightest color followed by blue, and on down the spectrum for intensity of color.
    In my opinion the Parks site is better maintained and the hilts seem to be more professional looking. The L-tech site is hard to navigate and the hilts look half finished. Does that help?

12. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Actually, not all the Parks run off of 2 9 volts. My MJ only takes one. Its the graflex that takes two. I don't know for sure about the other models.

13. Obiwancloneme

Obiwancloneme Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2005
    just the graflex can hold two 9 volts(it's 30% brighter too)

and dont go by what jabba said about the orange, he hasent EVER changed his battery!!!!! lol (im serious, ask him)

my experience(i have an arc wave)with parks is they are about the best EL lightsaber company on the net.while pricy you get what you pay for. lighttech on the other hand heh, i talk to the guy, i belive his name was mike,he said the only hilt he makes now is the avenger or the cheapest one what ever one that is, im lazy and dont want to look it up hehe.

best bet talk to andy or jeff at parks they have excilent customer service and make stunning hilts takes about two monthes after you order but if you call them they will tell you where you are in line and how much longer it will be before yours is finished.

14. BozoFett

BozoFett Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    Hi all...I'm new to parks sabers and am considering buying the arc-wave or defiance saber along with the saber kit. From what I see on the website they look amazing!!! But can someone else give me a second opinion? How do they compare to FX sabers? Also how long did it take to arrive from the date of purchase? Finally, after looking on the site, it didn't actually say anything about the sabers having sound...just to clarify for my peace of mind, they do have sound, right?

15. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Nope, Parks sabers don't have sound. :(

I believe that the issue of the time frame between ordering and receiving your saber has already been addressed somewhere here, maybe it was in another thread I read. I think someone said it was about 2 months. I bought my Parks saber at a convention, so I got instant gratification. :D

Perhaps someone who has both can answer the comparision question about Parks and FX sabers. Other than the fact that FX has sound and Parks doesn't. You also don't get a Power Up or Down effect like with the LED blades in the newer FX sabers.

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Bozo: It depends on what you want. Effects or better quality basically.

FX: Sound, power-up and power-down, less expensive
    Parks: Detachable blade, much better quality, more durable

I have a Parks graflex built up like Luke's ESB. And I've held the Anakin RotS FX. No comparison in the quality of the hilt. The graflex is all metal and feels more real. The weight feels like the whole thing is metal. There are no effects, but you can wear the Parks on your belt, which I found a very nice option at CIII. In addition, I have seen people spar with the FX, but I have heard stories of them breaking easily if you do so. The Parks blades don't have that issue.
    But the Parks costs about 2-1/2x the FX and doesn't have the sound or power-up or power-down.
    Even so, I would rather have the Parks, but I will likely get an FX some day. ;)

17. DarkLordChristopher

DarkLordChristopher Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Parks is the ultimate jedi master now
    go to the website and look upon his newest edition

The saber kit

it has everything you could want.

I am going to go with a fusion and the straight up graflex 3 cell replica to make my own with the kit.

18. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    That's old news to us Parks enthusiasts. I knew about the USK (Ultimate Saber Kit) about a year ago, before it ever showed up on his site.

The Fusion is a good saber. I got one a few months ago and made a few slight modifications so that it doesn't look exactly like every other one out there.

19. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Also of note on the Ultimate Saber Kit. You cannot make an EL saber out of the parts, just a static hilt to wear or display.

20. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    If I'm going to put down $265, I'm going to want it to do something ;)

21. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Does collecting dust count?

22. JediDerek

JediDerek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    I got the defiance ( non-ignited ) now that thing is very rare :) and my baby ( but upgrading to the double helix around winter time )...

23. Darth_Sata

Darth_Sata Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    So I finally got my Double Helix about 3 weeks about. As soon as I took it out of the packaging I was blown away by it.

I split it into two and me and my friend had a duel with it, and it held up so well.

Only one complaint I had was that I ordered it to come with Blue blade, and it arrived with Green. But as I already have a Blue bladed FX saber I wasn't to bothered.

This is one seriuosly gorgeous saber and I shall be ordering from Parks again in the near future, just can't decide what one I want next.

24. Drakonnen

Drakonnen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I'm up in the air as to whether I want to order the Avenger or the Graflex EL from Park Sabers.

In the pictures for some reason the blade in the Avenger pictures has something wierd going on at the base of it: http://www.parksabers.com/images2004/Avenger/Bladed/av5.jpg
    http://www.parksabers.com/images2004/Avenger/Bladed/av9.jpg

Does anyone have the Avenger or has anyone seen one? Is that something that happens with all Avengers just because of how the blade sits in the hilt for some reason, or is that just an anomaly in those pictures?

Also, what would you all suggest, the Graflex EL or the Avenger? I'm kinda leaning towards the Graflex EL at the moment, as I like how the blade is supposed to be brighter on it.

25. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I think that its an artifact of the picture due to reflections.

Both are quite cool.
    The graflex is going to be brighter, though.

It depends on what you want. Do you like the Luke ESB or the Luke RotJ/Obi kind of hilt better?

The Avenger might have one of those touchplates that are too easily turned on and off without you wanting to, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.