main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Parks or Random Sabers???

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Ranger_007, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    I am just wondering if anyone (in the Calgary area) has either a ParksSaber or a RandomSaber. And if so, could I get some pics and reviews on everything from the item itself, to customer service, to product delivery time.

I am currently designing a hilt to have machined by RandomSabers, and am also thinking of adding a ParksSaber to my collection this year.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Parks "Echelon" at the Ep.III DVD release (and HMV Chinook midnight), but to be honest, I was new and meeting everyone for the first time, and, well, actually forgot before the event was over. LOL - I still don't know everyone's screen name with who they actually are, let alone real names.

2. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Yeah Lexial Had the Parks saber at the DVD release. I thought it looked awesome. Picture is on its way to you as promissed a long time ago ..... you know the rest.

3. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi guys, sorry for intruding but my fiancee has the double Helix Parks sabre. If you want to see any pics just let me know.

4. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Hay, no problem! I would love to see some pics. You can either post them here, or email them directly to me.

How long has she had it?
    How long did it take for her to get?
    Does she like it?

5. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Yeah ..I have a Parks saber (Echelon). The best pics of this saber are on the Parksaber web site. Have you been there...They have at least 6-8 pics of each style of saber. These pics have been taken from different angles and with and without saber tips. Thier pics are better than mine...as well they give specs for each of them. The customer service I recieved was excellent. They update tracking of the completion of your saber and when I recieved the saber it was well packaged and no problems. I love it ...as well it runs on a 9 volt battery. It lasted quite a while on the battery I used. If you have any other specific questions please ask. I would recommend checking out their site though as it is very informative. The only thing is it takes 12 - 14 weeks to get it including delivery time, but it is worth it to get a good quality saber compared to a FX saber.

6. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    Delivery time is the only negative to Parks but it's because he insists on hand making each and every one. He's a true craftsman with a dedication to quality that I have never seen outmatched.

I have a Parks Arc Wave that I have had for half a decade and I love it.

The hilt looks exactly like Lukes ROTJ saber which is why I bought it in the first place and soon came to find out that Jeff Parks will custom make any saber you want. I saw his rendition of the Obi Wan Episode 1 saber and it is by far the best I have ever laid eyes on. Mace Windu, Palpatine, nothing is outside his capacity but you have to call him on the phone. He does this for many reasons. To weed out non buyers, and to avoid Lucasfilm legal attention are the two most obvious.

The blades are awesome. Though not quite as bright as an MR and lacking in sound effects, they are removable and virtually unbreakable. You can duel with them and thwack them pretty freakin hard without fear of breaking.

We were doing a green screen test with someone using a park saber to deflect imaginary turret blasts and the blade flew out of the hilt from spinning it too fast. It flew 20 feet into the air spinning at high speed and crashed to the floor, completely unscratched. Bang an MR too hard and you can easily burn out the LED lights within them. Parks uses the EL paper which alleviates that fear. It's really more of a real prop and wearable item rather than a collectible toy.

I know random sabers will make a hilt for you that fits Parks blades. I had to ask about that from them when I was looking into making the Aliska saber for our film and needed two versions made, one of which could hold a parks sized stunt blade. Random is much less expensive but will typically not include any of the electronics needed to do the glowing blade.

Basically if you just want a costume piece and don't care about the blade system I would go with random but for anything else Parks is the man.

7. zambi

zambi Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2004
    "Delivery time is the only negative to Parks but it's because he insists on hand making each and every one. He's a true craftsman with a dedication to quality that I have never seen outmatched."

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Parks stopped making the sabers by hand years ago. He now pays machine shops to do most of the creation.

I have a Parks Arc Wave that I have had for half a decade and I love it.

"Mace Windu, Palpatine, nothing is outside his capacity but you have to call him on the phone. He does this for many reasons. To weed out non buyers, and to avoid Lucasfilm legal attention are the two most obvious."

Actually, he tried to avoid Lucasfilm because in his lawsuit with him he agreed not to make any more movie props. So, he doesn't advertise them, but he still makes them. Just give him a call and he can make any saber from one of the movies.

8. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Well I mean.he makes them with shops now but he made them by hand when he ordered his Arc Waxe. Just like mine was handmade.

They really are fun sabers and I am thinking of getting him to do some custom work on a future project.

9. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Well during/after a failed attempt to win an auction for a Lerbel Ep.1 Obi-Wan EL-ready hilt, I think I found a "supplier" of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon machined EL hilts. If this "pays off" I'll let everyone know, hopefully in about 2-3 weeks!

I have always wanted machined EL hilts of Obi-Wan's an Qui-Gon's!!!!

10. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah Larbels stuff is great :). Good luck with your EL's

11. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Sorry about taking so long to respond to you Kris. I will get some pics posted of the double Helix when I get home. I got it for her about 2 years ago. It took about a week for me to receive it after it was shipped but it did take 9 weeks for it to be manufactured.

12. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I just took a bunch of pictures. I am sorry they are rushed:

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/Helix1.jpg]

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/Helix2.jpg]

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/Helix3.jpg]

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/Helix4.jpg]

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/Helix5.jpg]

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/Helix6.jpg]

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/Helix7.jpg]

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/Helix8.jpg]

13. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Sweet! Thanks!

So, Parks does use colored polyC and/or polyE blades. I see they also use 3-conductor stereo jacks/plugs - no wonder there is a "compatability" issue. Hah, should be pretty darn easy to change that, though. ;)

Thanks again!

14. winbrant

winbrant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Sweet looking blades...any pictures of them lit up?
    Oh, sorry, they are lit up ones. Any chance we could see ones in total dark w/o flash...would love to see the light dispersion (hilt to tip, and away from blade).

And great looking room/collection as well! Hogwart's newest student is looking good!

15. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Thanks Winbrant :) I will post a pic for you in the total dark.

Here you go:

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/sabre2.jpg]

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/sabre1.jpg]

16. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, in case people don't follow my website too closely, I'll make a quick note here, also.

I finally got both my Obi-Wan (Ep.1) and Qui-Gon (Ep.1) machined EL lightsabers!!!!!!

As I suspected, they were created by Parks. So, this serves 2 purposes. I FINALLY have sweet replicas of 2 of my favorite movie lightsabers, AND I can finally closely inspect and review creations from Jeff Parks. And, unlike many other people's problems/Complaints, all my hardware and Park's hardware, are fully compatible and interchangeable (hilts & blades).

I'll get some pics taken soon. Maybe Thursday.

............and my blades are better. :)

17. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    You could always bring them to the meeting on Monday for show & tell

18. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.