main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Parliamentary Existence Failure.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Saintheart, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Shut down your democracy and reboot.

The numbers keep going up and down. On Saturday it was Labor with 26 seats with 3 to decide, Liberals with 23 with 2 to decide. Now it's Liberals with 17 seats and 2 to decide, Labor with 24 seats and 1 to decide, Nationals with 4, Greens with none, and the other assorted loonies with 2. WTH?

2. LBJ

LBJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Hey the longer this takes the longer my department is in 'caretaker' mode so I'm not complaining!

:D

Can't do a state budget without a state government.

3. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I completely forgot to check the results... Was busy Sunday and sick today.. so What's the beef?

4. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Linkage.

Looks like neither Labor or Libs are going to get a majority big enough to form government. At the moment it looks like the Nationals will have to come to an agreement with somebody (Labor or Libs) in order for there to be a government, and it's looking like end of the week before that happens. When they do, they're going to rip a good $680 million out of each year's budget for the regional areas in return for letting bills pass.

5. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    mmmmm no comment on the royalties for regions thing. (give it a week and maybe I can comment then).

In any case....no point speculating now, looks like we are going to have to wait until most of the votes are counted. Certainly is an interesting time for WA Politics!

Hung parliament!

6. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Although I have voted each time it's been required of me over the last 9 years, this was the first time I actually went in knowing who I was going to vote for and why.

I think it will be great if we can get some of the mining royalties spent out in regional areas, god knows we could use it.

7. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    *puts on his monocle*

I agree.

(I have nothing intelligent to add. I just wanted to feel like I'm contributing.):-B

But seriously, I'm not one that's particularly politically minded, but I don't think that money going to the country would be such a bad thing?

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    It is high time they spent some cash out there...

9. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Given the difficulty in spending cash both in the regions and city due to labour/skill shortages there are massive under-spends going on all over the place, it is highly unlikely we could spend $700m in the regions in any given year even if we tried...that said obviously there is a strong need for it and whatever Government is formed, it would be time to get the ball rolling IMHO.

10. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Who would have thunk it hey, political discussion in the WAFF

11. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    It's Sainty's fault! :D

12. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm discussing politics! 8-} - Woooooo

13. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, it's all about mathematics ultimately, so I thought it'd get some play out here :p

14. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    and it's not often we face the prospect of a hung parliament. Kind of exciting.....well as exciting as WA politics get!!!!

Probably won't have a result until the weekend or next week even at this rate.

15. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I believe John Bowler has thrown his lot in with the Nationals and will follow their lead from what I heard today.

16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Interesting, and not a bad tactical move given (a) why he got kicked out of the Labor party and (b) his electorate of Kalgoorlie.

Recount of votes is likely to happen this weekend. I guarantee no real result before Sunday at the earliest.

17. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm sure certain politicians will call for re-counts...and why wouldn't you? Some of these seats are being decided by less then 100 votes!

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Not surprising, given some of the stuff-ups on votes I've seen thus far...

19. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    and we have a Government again...oh well looks like it's back to work.

20. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Only until Barnett drops an unfortunate sheep-****er joke... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.