main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Parts of Star Wars that make you cry

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by tun_dot_com, Apr 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tun_dot_com

tun_dot_com Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2002
    I don't know if any kind of thread like this has ever been made, so I thought it would be great.

For me, the saddest parts of the saga are when Anakin says he misses his mom so much at the funeral of Shmi. It's truly heartfelt and I feel so sad for him. The other would be at the end of ROTJ. The whole thing is so awesome that I cry tears of joy. I know I'm lame but I just love the movies. 8-}

2. Imperial_March

Imperial_March Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    tpm: Nothing really

aotc: Nothing really

rote: When Jar-Jar dies obviously

anh: When I was young, I thought the dead Jawas was very emotional. Nowadays I still find Luke surveying his dead parents very sad but most of all........... this is se only......... Luke reuniting with Biggs - especially when Biggs says "it'll be just like old times" --- knowing that Biggs is to die makes this rather sad.

esb: For some reason I find Luke's amazement after Yoda pulls his ship out from the mud a very powerful moment. Luke's sheer surprise and wonderment shows how kind-of innocent he still is and new to the whole force thing - despite being soon after being put under the challenge of his life. Oh - and I also think it's very touching when Leia watches the slave I fly away with Han on board.

rotj: When the rancor dies obviously. Actually I don't feel all that fuzzy at the end scene anymore - I still find it powerful though when Luke attacks vader strongly - you really feel for his agony (and vader's)

3. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    TPM: Anakin leaving his mom. You just know it's going to wind up tragic in the long run.

AOTC: See above post.

And of course, ROTJ when Yoda and Vader die.

4. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    When they cut Maul in half. You know it has to happen, but dang if it doesn't still bring a tear to my eye. ;)

I'm getting weepy-eyed just thinking about it. :p

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    [face_laugh] @ Maulfly

I don't cry on any parts of the saga. when I was little I thought it was sad when Yoda died, but I don't think I ever cried.

And I was pretty sad when Shmi died in AotC... No tears though. ;)

6. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Two parts made me feel sad but not cry.

When Han gets frozen in the carbonite.

When Leia is shot in the arm on Endor.

7. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I've never actually cried, but when I saw the SE ROTJ for the first time in theatres I almost did when they showed all the new footage of the people around the galaxy celebrating with the beautifully fitting music playing

It's just so powerful to see that the good guys finally won after we saw them go through so much. And the SE ending of ROTJ IMO did this better because it showed how much impact their victory really had on the galaxy and not just them

8. tun_dot_com

tun_dot_com Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2002
    That's exactly how I feel ForceHeretic. It was just so moving to see the entire galaxy celebrating, and the approving smiles of Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin. The whole end, combined with that terrific music makes it one of the most memorable Star Wars moments. :D

9. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    I've never actually cried at a Star Wars movie, but I find Anakin's death scene pretty emotional.

When I was younger, the dead Jawas/Owen and Beru really disturbed me. I imagined Beru getting burned alive in their little kitchen thing. That scared me even more, because it was so small and I'm claustrophobic. (Yeah, okay, I was a weird kid.)

10. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    When I was little, the death of the ewoks had me crying. Poor little cuddly teddy beards killed by the evil stormies. :(

When I grew up, the only thing that made my eyes water was Luke watching Anakin burn in the funeral pyre. Awesome scene that was well scored.

There really isn't anything in the prequels that gets me emotional. I laugh at Shmi's death scene when she gurgles. :D And Shmi and Anakin's farewell in TPM missed the mark IMO.

11. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I think the scene when the ewok gets killed, and we see the surviving ewok try to wake him/her (does anyone know) was a very sad moment.

Yoda's death/disappearence still makes me kinda sad, it's the idea of losing one of the greatest jedi in history...when the lights in his house go out, you can feel his presence dim as well.

12. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    When Sidious was betrayed by Vader. I had a hard time with that scene for years as the Emperor was always a hero of mine.

13. DarthDoobah

DarthDoobah Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2002
    The first time´s gonna be when the end credits of E3 start to roll and I realize that this is it, no more Star Wars to look forward to :(

14. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    As a kid, the Ewok death was upsetting, but not to the point of crying. On the other hand, when Anakin cheated Sebulba out of the Boonta Eve Classic Victory, I cried like a baby. It's still too hard to talk about it even now. :_|

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, as a 6 year old, I found Luke being hit by lightning at the end of ROTJ very distressing, and this did make me cry....

Nothing else has made me cry in a Star Wars movie since, but I do find some extremly emotional moments throughout the saga. I find Yoda force speech in Empire, and the moment Luke takes off, leaving Yoda bathed in darkness, very emotional momants. Also, when Luke calls to Leia, and she "hear's him" A very emotional moment.
    Also, the Vader duel at the end of Jedi, and the moment Luke put's down his lightsaber, saying "I was a Jedi, like my father before me" STILL has the power to move me.

Episode III will probably be the most emotional, moving Star Wars movie, though. So, I could breakdown and have a cry, especially when the movie ends, and the saga is over.

16. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I doubt Lucas would do this because it would only have impact on fans of the OT and only the first time we saw it

But he's said he's tinkered with the idea of having the last scene in Ep. 3 be the Tantive IV being chased by vader at the beginning of ANH

And if that was done, I bet I would. Would make you really see how they are connected, and be really powerful

But I actually hope they don't do this because it wouldn't work if you saw it a second time

17. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    All the parts between Ep.I and Ep.IV. :p

Seriously though, I always get choked up at the end of ESB. I love the music.

18. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, nothing in any of the movies makes me all-out cry, but here are some moments that make me tear up:

TPM -- when Anakin walks away from his mother.

AOTC -- when Shmi dies, and her funeral.

ANH -- nothing.

ESB -- when Luke says, "Ben, why didn't you tell me?"

ROTJ -- When Luke says, "I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her." (This only started to make me tear up after the advent of the prequels, and probably will do so even more after Episode III.)

When Vader says to Luke "Take off my mask. I want to see you with my own eyes," and "You were right...tell your sister...you were right."

How odd that ROTJ, which is my least favorite of all the movies, has the most moments that make me tear up.

19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Well, isn´t that natural? That you cry because you have to watch a film you don´t like? ;)

I almost never cry, but one of the 8 times I saw AOTC in the theater, I almost did in the Tatooine sequence. From Shmi´s death to her funeral is a very emotional part of the film and when Cliegg held his speech:

- I know wherever you are, it´s become a better place. You were the most loving partner a man could ever have.
    Good-bye, my darling wife... and thank you.

the tears where on their way out. They never got there, though.

20. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    AOTC: Listening to that awful romantic drivel between Anakin and Padme. If Lucas thinks that lines like that work, no wonder he's divorced.

21. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Carbon freezing scene always gets me.

22. DarthNerfHerder

DarthNerfHerder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2003
    The dead ewoks.... poor little ewok... :( :( :(

:_| :_|

23. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    When Qui Gon Dies. That was sad

24. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    AOTC: Listening to that awful romantic drivel between Anakin and Padme. If Lucas thinks that lines like that work, no wonder he's divorced.

Actually, he acknowledges that the dialogue is very corny. He intended it to be that way, to echo what courtly lovers said to each other.

I think the dead Ewok scene is sad. Yoda dying is sad.

Obi Wan Kenobi letting himself be killed is sad.

The carbon-freezing scene is sad, even if C3PO's yammering annoys me.

25. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Actually, he acknowledges that the dialogue is very corny. He intended it to be that way, to echo what courtly lovers said to each other.

Well, I guess I shouldn't ever criticize part of a movie if the director got what he wanted, should I?

Lucas may be satisfied, but it's still bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.