main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games Pass the Paragraph: has a winner

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Oct 16, 2012.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Rules

1. After we have our players, EVERY player then has to write an opening paragraph to a story. These stories can be about absolutely anything. The only guideline you have to be aware of is the Terms Of Service for these forums - naturally, don't break them. It doesn't matter how weird, crazy or normal your story is. I'm sure it won't end up how you envision it, anyway.

2. Each player PMs me their paragraph/sentence once they have written it. I will then PM the next player in line with that paragraph - this next player's objective is then to write the next paragraph of the story. When they are done with it, they PM it back to me and I pass it along to the next person and this continues until all seven players have written a couple of sentences for the story. So, by the end of this, there will be seven paragraphs to a story. After that, I will PM the original creator of the story these seven paragraphs and allow them to write the final eighth, ending, paragraph. And that's it for the entire story.

Of course, there will be seven different stories going on at the same time during the game. Each person only writes one paragraph for each story, except for their own (where they write the first and last).

3. Everything is basically done through PMs. After you write your paragraph you always PM it back to me. You do not know who is next in line to write the following part of the story, nor do you know who has written the paragraphs before you (even the opening one). The reason for this is so that ideas and story trends don't really pass between them. However, it really is up to each player what will be in the stories, after all.

4. I'll give a guideline of 48 hours for each paragraph to be written. So at the absolute maximum this game will last for just over two weeks. 48 hours is plenty of time to write a few sentences; there's really nothing to it. If somebody does not write a paragraph in a particular story after 48 hours, I will step in and write the paragraph anonymously myself. This is so that things can still flow if a person is held up. And it also is fun for me. Hehe.

Note: I'm not able to juggle who has what with sending paragraphs along before 48 hours pass, so I'll wait until the time is up or until I have everyones' paragraphs, whichever comes first.

5. When every story has been completed, I will post all seven of them. I will not inform you which story belongs to which player (belonging in the sense that they wrote the first and last paragraph - even though they didn't write the bulk of it). This is where it is extremely hilarious. And that's basically it to the game.

6. Then players will PM their vote for the story they like most, in 48 hours. The winner(s) will get 24 hours of colors.
    ~~~~~~

:)

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So wait, the point is to what, have the best paragraph in the story, or? What are people voting on?

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi there. :) The point is if I'm player #1, I submit my first paragraph. Then that gets sent to player #2; he adds a paragraph for that round; then player #3 will get that for the third round and add to the story; this continues until I get my story back again; I add the final paragraph and the story is complete. All completed stories are posted in the game thread, and that's what's voted on. It's rather like fanfic awards - voting on which you like best -- mixed with round robin [face_laugh] -- since by the time we're done, everyone's contributed a bit to the story.

Stories can be of any flavor: some in the past have been SW, some have been sci-fi - others have been on Earth but in earlier centuries; we've even had Pirates of the Caribbean themes. ;)

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Do you have a completed one we could look at to see what happens? I'm a little hazy on what the voting criteria are, too.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, this doesn't really make sense. We're voting on completed stories, or individual paragraphs in the story? If we're voting on completed stories, being that each story is written by several people, how does a winner get chosen?

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Still slightly confused, but what the hell.

1. Juliet316

8. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    1. Juliet316

2.TheGuardianofArlon

So I write a paragraph that gets passed around, till we all make a very long story, or we all just add unto a person's first paragraph like a story and likewise it happens to us, till we have all written a story, and then each story is voted on right?

edit: do we send in a paragraph now?

9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    1. Juliet316

2.TheGuardianofArlon

3. EmpireForever

Don't worry, I've played this before Jade_eyes.

I think you are all too concerned about how to win. The point is to just have a good time writing and reading. Although if you're that concerned with who wins, it's whoever wrote the initial paragraph of the most popular story.

10. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    So basically we can make it as wacky or someone can make it as wacky as possible?

[face_devil]

11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    1. Juliet316

2.TheGuardianofArlon

3. EmpireForever

4. Jedi Gunny

You write a paragraph for the First Round, then the next four rounds you have to add a paragraph to an existing story sent to you on a rotating basis (so you write a paragraph in everyone's story, but you don't know who wrote which paragraph). In the end, you finish the story with a sixth paragraph, and then voting commences. You vote for your favorite completed story, and the one with the most votes for it wins. You can't vote for your own story, etc.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    1. Juliet316

2.TheGuardianofArlon

3. EmpireForever

4. Jedi Gunny

5. Me

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I got 2 great!!! paragraphs. By player request, the interval for submittal is 48 hours. So I won't post a reminder unless needed until that interval comes close. :) I forgot myself that it was 48 hours when I played. :p

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Paragraphs is so much fun :D I can't wait to see all the completed stories!

Edit: With permission, I found and edited in the intro post, which gives a little more information about the games (thanks to Tyi for the game and the write-up).

Jade_eyes likes this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Next bunch now in inboxes.

48 hours. :D

18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, that one was something.

19. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    I could be a combo breaker with this...

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Got mine done.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot! Stories are progressing superbly. =D=

Inboxes have the next bunch [face_batting] :)

22. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Good morning: [face_batting]

New sets in inboxes. The tales have taken fun/intriguing twisties let me tell you =D=

24. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Do tell me about it

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sent.

Just to let you know ahead of time, there's a chance I might not be around when the next sets are sent out. I'm right in the range where Sandy's expected to hit (how much we get of her depends on where, exactly she lands. Right now it's anywhere from Virginia where I live to possibly New York/Boston), and there's a chance if the power goes out, it'll be days before I'm back online.