main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games Pass the Paragraph: has a winner

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Oct 16, 2012.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Rainbow Knight Star Random Comments Trimaj

Juliet316 Idrelle_Miocovani

-----

Time for voting.

Interval: 24-48 hours.

Please send via conversation/PM.

Stories below, italics indicate in contention and viable for voting.

Story One--

River Song tended to travel the universe by herself a lot these days.
    Everytime she encountered danger it left her melancholy.
    She recalled all the fun she and her Doctor; the one with the dark floppy hair, big chin, and tweed, would get into when danger called. But those days were long since over, and she had not seen any of his various incarnations since his final self had died. She knew for certain she would never see any version of the Doctor, especially hers, again.

----

She sighed at the thought, which haunted her so frequently.
    A knock sounded on the door. Without waiting for a response, in swept a tall man in a suit, with his top hat pulled down, obscuring his face.
    "Excuse me?" said River. "Who do you think you are, just barging in here?"
    The man turned and put his hat on the stand, then sighed and said "River, you know who I am. You know my name."
    River's heart stopped. Was it-? It was!
    In her shock, all she could think to say was "WHAT have you done with your hair?!"

-----

"Is that all you have to say?"
    River just stood there with her mouth open in shock. What did he expect her to say? Finally, River closed her mouth, and tried to speak.
    "Doctor, I thought you were dead," she said softly, looking down at the floor.
    "Why would you think that, River?" he asked in a surprised tone. He continued, not giving River a chance to respond. "I escaped from that prison I was in, and I'm not going back; not ever."
    River gasped in shock, looking directly at the Doctor. "What?" she said. "you left the Mental Center?
    "Yes," the Doctor said calmly. "I need to find a place to hide where those people can't find me."
    "There's no place to hide, Doctor," River said, with tears in her eyes. "You will be found, and brought back there.You should have never run away from the Mental Center."

-------

"Could you please stop calling it the 'Mental Centre'?" the Doctor asked plaintively, shuddering.
    "That's what it's called," River pointed out. You dear, silly man, she thought. You don't know what's coming for you. That's why you need to go back.
    "It sounds like it was named by a five year old. A five year old dressed in a suit and tie, with a tophat and carrying a walking stick. A gentleman five year old!"
    "Doctor," River said.

--

"What?" He looked at her quizzically.
    "You aren't real. You can't be real, I saw you die." River said bitterly. This has to be a hallucination or a dream. Why does my mind keep doing this to me? A mournful expression settled on her face as she looked at the only man she'd ever loved standing there before her, seemingly as alive as she was.
    "You must be joking. Maybe it's you that needs to be in the Mental Centre, saying things like that. I mean, oh sure I've died, but not completely. You know that." He said bemused and apparently a bit upset.
    The words Mental Centre echoed through her mind, as though they did mean more to her than they should have, being such simple words. Is this all a dream? Has everything been a dream? It was a hard thought to fathom.

------

He places a hand on her cheek, murmuring her name frequently. She closes her eyes, feeling like she's floating. When she opens them again, she sees her Doctor, floppy hair, blue eyes and all, looking at her with concern. She asks, in a voice hoarse from sleep and disuse what happened.
    The Doctor looks at her guiltily. "It would appear the Purple Bananas of LaBrona IV didn't seem to agree with you. Rose mentioned once having some weird nightmare after eating them, but I figured they wouldn't affect you given the Time Lord DNA within you."
    River sighs, adjusting herself on their bed, having been carried there after apparently passing out from ingesting said purple bananas. She vows then and there that the next time they go to a strange planet with strange colored fruit, she was snatching that damn screwdriver of his and scanning the food before trusting his word on eating it. In the meantime she takes to reassuring her husband that she was fine and that they would be back to running across the universe soon.

++++

Story Two

The red grasses swayed in the dying light as Theta Sigma and Koschei ran through them, imagining distant worlds and strange cultures.
    Someday, Thete dreamed, he would travel to every one of the stars that glistened overhead. But tomorrow presented its own adventures.
    Tomorrow was the day when Thete and Koschei would go to the Academy, and, if they succeeded, become initiated into the ranks of the Time Lords. But Thete was restless.

-----

He could hardly wait for tomorrow to become today. Koschei seemed to sense Thete’s impatience, and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. “Tomorrow will be here soon enough, Thete,” Koschei said in a calm, but firm tone of voice.
    “I know,” Thete replied gloomily.
    “Well, then, relax, and enjoy today,” Coschei responded cheerfully. “Besides, the academy isn’t totally fun and games, you know."
    “I know that,” Thete said in a defensive tone. “I just wish tomorrow would hurry up and get here.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Have patience, my friend," Koschei advised. "It is, as they say, a virtue."
    "Oh, shut up," Thete said.
    "Thete!" Koschei raised a hand to his mouth in mock shock. "How dare you say such a thing!"
    Thete rolled his eyes. "Don't be a prat, Koschei. You're just as impatient as me."
    "Yes, I can't wait for tomorrow," Koschei said. He grinned. "I can't wait to see the expression on your face when I get into the Academy and you don't."

------

"Like that'll ever happen," Thete said, punching Koschei's shoulder. "We both know I'm the only one getting in. You don't stand a chance."
    "You wish Thete. Besides, wouldn't you miss me? I can't see you doing well without someone you know being around," Koschei said.
    Thete's expression sobered as he thought about that particular possibility. It wasn't appealing in his opinion, but there also wasn't a huge amount he could do to control that particular aspect of things. They both had good scores, they were both capable young men, and confidence oozed out of them whenever they were being interviewed or observed. Heck, confidence oozed out of them when it was just the two of them, but secretly they needed each other. "Neither would you Koschei. I guess we just have to hope we both get in then," Thete said.
    "Guess so," Koschei said. They stood there, staring out over the fields before them. "C'mon Thete, let's go for a walk." Standing, and then pulling his friend to his feet, Koschei started walking and said, "I know just the place." Thete looked at him curiously, but followed along without a question.

-------------

They walked a ways up one of the hills of Gallifrey. It took a very long time and Theta Sigma wondered where they were going. Hours later as the sun set and the trees started to glow silver instead of looking like the fire as they were wont to do during the day, they were still walking. Finally as they came to a clearing they stopped. Koschei spun slowly in a circle looking around the area.

------

Tall, silver-shining trees nestled comfortingly around the clearing, as flash-flitters sparkled and shone, winding joyously along their chosen paths, lighting the space with warm tones of gold, silver, and ruby, and coloring Thete's shock of white hair. Avians cooed in the distance, singing songs of the long night and the promised new dawn to come. Koschei and Theta Sigma sat, gazing silently at the wondrous sight, neither wishing to speak, to break the spell of the beauty surrounding them. It would become a memory Thete would cherish for centuries. The future would hold many troubles for the two young boys.
    War would come between the child of Light and the child of Darkness. The great sundering, betrayal and manipulation, flight from all things known and held dear. one would become a healer, with a tragic, shrouded past, the other an overlord, convinced of his rightful mastery over all matter, but lied to and twisted by his own. Cataclysms were to come. But for now, for this one brief, final moment, unknowing of the future, the two were at peace.

++++++++

Story Three

Debra was excited about her date with Kendle. She couldn’t stop thinking about the surprise he said he had for her.
    Just thinking about Kendle made Debra smile, and her heart fly. That golden, blond hair, those dreamy, blue, eyes, and that handsome tan complection; ahhh! What a guy.
    Debra hummed a happy tune as she brushed her long, straight, brown hair, which was the same color as her eyes. She couldn’t wait to be in her true love’s strong arms again.

---

Keep thinking like that and I swear I'm going to vomit, a voice in her head said. Gushing over Kendle like that, it's like you're in the middle of a badly-written romance novel. Which you aren't.
    Debra sighed. Kara always had bad timing. And by "bad timing", she meant that Kara always showed up any time Debra thought about Kendle. It was extremely off-putting.

--------

Kendle was Debra's neighbor. He found her warm and vivacious and quite attractive. There were moments, though, that he found extremely baffling: sudden shifts in mood, or fleeting glimpses of a taunting gleam in Debra's pretty eyes. He'd look again an instant later, and her eyes would be back to their laughing and welcoming glow. He'd then shrug it off as just his imagination playing tricks.

-----

Debra continued to get ready for her date. She was excited and hoped the surprise he had would be a good one. Her one concern was Kara.
    Despite numerous attempts at integrating her alternate personality, Kara still showed up whenever Kendle was around, often trying to drive him away. She hadn't told Kendle about Kara, knowing that telling him would do exactly what Kara wanted. She just desperately hoped she didn't show up on her and Kendle's date and ruin whatever surprise he had planned.

-------

Just then, there was a knock on the front door.
    "It must be Kendle!" Debra thought.
    "Now behave, Kara," she admonished, as she went to answer the door.
    She opened the door, but she didn't see anyone. She began to close the door, thinking it was just one of the neighborhood kids playing a trick on her. Then she looked down, at the huddled person sitting on the door step.
    "Kendle?" she asked, confused. "What are you doing down--"
    "Kendle? I'm Derrick. Have you seen my mummy?" he sobbed.

------

Debra just stood there for a few seconds before replying, "No, I'm sorry I haven't." Then she asked, "Who is your mummy?" Derrick answered with a sob, "Debra." Debra fainted.
    Debra awakened to find herself snug and warm in her bed. The snow was falling, and the wind was howling. "What a strange dream," she said, stretching, then glancing at the clock. It read 9:00 am. As Debra climbed out of bed, she hoped she never had another journey to Dreamland like that one ever again. She was happily single, and that's just the way she liked it.

+++++++

Story Four

On an ordinary summer's eve, the tranquil peace of a Baron's manor garden was rudely interrupted by a girl appearing out of nowhere, hovering for a few moments mid-air, and then falling unceremoniously into the frog pond with a loud splash. This was not one of Rox’s better entrances, to say the least. She still hadn’t quite gotten the hang of flying, or the hang of teleportation, for that matter.
    Normally when fairies arrived at their destination, they did not make a noise. Fairy travel was supposed to be discreet. No one was supposed to notice them, unless they wanted to be noticed. Unfortunately for Rox, discretion was something she failed at miserably. Associated words like “unnoticeable” and “imperceptible” went right over her head.

-------

"Oh well, there's nothing for it," she said with a chipper attitude as she picked herself up out of the water. With a flutter of her wings she was again in the air, though veering rather steadily towards the left for some reason. As the wind beat against her body, she dried off. Now, where is that dog... She had been sent here to find the Baron's dog, who had gone undercover at the orders of Basil the Fifth, king of Canninonia.
    It was believed that the Baron had been smuggling members of Basil's kingdom through his manor, but for what nefarious ends no one knew. She smiled fondly at the thought of her home. It was unusual for a fairy to not be accepted in their homeland, but due to her klutzy nature Rox had been excommunicated. Basil had welcomed her, despite her problems, and she had been with the dogs ever since. Hesitantly she flew forwards, hoping no one would notice her in her search for Frank, a bloodhound who was notorious for his sense of smell even among bloodhounds.

------

Eventually, she managed to come upon Frank. But there was something different about him. His eyes were not the kind eyes she was used to seeing. They were vicious, tinged with red along the edges. Had Frank somehow been brainwashed by the Baron?

------

Then she noticed the large, spiked metal collar chaining him to the wall. Unfortunately, Frank had noticed her, too.
    Frank barked angrily at her, then tried to chomp her out of the sky. She dodged him and tried to fly away, but he began to bark even louder and more insistently.
    People were noticing...This was not good. She needed to find somewhere to hide, then try to come up with some sort of strategy.

------

Rox thought for a moment, and was about to act, when a white tiger with black stripes appeared from out of no where. Now Frank would go crazy for sure. It was bad enough that he didn't like Rox, but now this huge cat had to show up. Could Rox's day get any worse? She hoped not. The question was, what was she going to do now?
    -------

"Well, I never was good at being stealthy," Rox said and promptly transformed into a large, red and gold dragon. The tiger's fur stood up on end and it scampered away as fast as its paws could carry it. Frank started barking madly and tried to claw at her shining scales, but she calmly picked him up with one claw and shot into the sky with one flap of her wings. Once mid-air, she somersaulted and shot a fireball at the Baron's house. It immediately went up in flames. To make sure the job was done, Rox smashed her heavy tail down on the burning house, cleaving it in two.
    That solves the problem with the Baron, she thought and flew away, Frank growling and mewling in her claw. Shut up, Frank!
    +++++++

Story Five

Nettles stung my cheeks as I wandered through the dark field.
    Grass several feet above my head hid everything from view, and so I stretched a hand out to part it hoping to see something other than just more grass.
    My foot finds a divot, and I stumble, barely keeping my balance. Why can't I see!... There! A glint of light shines through the grass and disappears. Quickly but carefully I make my way towards it.

-------

Try as I might, I can't find the light again.
    I continue to grope and make my way through the dark field. There is nothing but darkness everywhere.
    Suddenly I hear a loud roar from somewhere behind me and a tug at my ankle. The last thing I feel and smell before my head hits the hard ground is a rancid breath directly on my neck.

------

I wake up to as terrible sight; the hideous, gaping maw of a large, reptilian beast.
    I pull myself to my feet and run away, and the beast begins to charge after me.
    Dinosaurs. Why'd it have to be dinosaurs?
    I knew I should have stayed home today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing I can do is run, but I'm so tired. I take a quick glance over my shoulder to see how close the dinosaur is, and to my horror, the beast is only five feet behind me. To make matters worse, I bump into an extremely large tree in front of me. Just great. I'm on my back, and the reptilian creature is two feet away from me. I scramble to my feet, but it's too late. The beast grabs my arm, sinking his long teeth into my flesh. I scream, both in pain and terror as I'm dragged away by it.

-------

I try to fight back, but I know it's useless. There has to be some way out of this situation, but there isn't. My mind is retreating, trying to dull the pain as the dinosaur chomps on my hand. Instead of thinking normal responses like "AHHHH!" or "AARRRGH" or even "EYEYEYEYEYEYEYEAAAGHKAHSDFG!", my mind is focusing on one single sentence, a phrase so simple that it's keeping me from going crazy even while it makes me laugh maniacally as I'm slowly devoured by a prehistoric beast:

"Dinosaurs on a spaceship. DINOSAURS. ON A. SPACESHIP!"

--------~~~~~~~

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    These are so cool! Can't wait to see which wins :D

Jade_eyes likes this.
  3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Wait, so we can't vote for "5," then? The others have italics, and that one doesn't....

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Right. I included it for fun, but the time expired, even after the extension. @};-

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i thought the extension was til this weekend, aka saturday though? i did end up at the hospital for a while, which through a couple days off for me.

and that one is mine, btw. no biggie, just misunderstood the time frame. i thought the first had been mentioned or something.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    The first was when voting would close. So voting would have to start today. :D The final round ran from Tuesday through Thursday with an extension through Friday, but I stretched it through midday. @};-

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    ok. like i said, no worries. i just misunderstood is all.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Player 1 with River Song was Juliet316. Idrelle was player four with Rox =D= Rainbow Knight Star was the player #3 behind Debra and Kendle's story, and Kara. LOL Debra sure has some interesting dreams. ;) Random Comments was the one behind #2, and got the most votes as well. =D= It made me want to read more about Theta and Koshei.

NYCitygurl -- yay [face_dancing] Please give RC some snazzy colors. @};-

----------

9. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    =D=

Congrats, RC! I loved your story.

:D

Jade_eyes likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Thanks, everyone.

Juliet316 and Jade_eyes like this.
  12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    'grats

Jade_eyes likes this.
  13. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Jade_eyes Please tag me when the next sign ups begin.

:D

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Will do Rainbow. [face_love] !!

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Congrats, dude!

16. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Any chance of doing this again? I was talking about the concept with some RL friends today, and remembered how much fun it was.

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I would do this.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Would love to do this again.