Passage of Fear - Obi/Qui Drama - COMPLETE-8/16/02

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cascadia, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello? Anybody out there?

~CHAPTER 2 - RETROGRESSION~

Obi-Wan sat alone in his Temple hospital room. A sense of hopelessness, nothingness, permeated the entire chamber - the white walls spotless, the crisp white sheets on the bed, the impersonal metal tables and cabinets. Ever since he heard the report from Healer J'Reedon, his hope had faded. Now it was nearly nonexistent - choked by the fear of tomorrow, of fate's claws pulling him toward a blank nothing. What did his future hold? Would he remember yesterday, or would tomorrow sweep clean a short lifetime of memories - leaving a shell with no past, and possibly no future as a Jedi.

Qui-Gon had tried to talk to him, to make him not give up, but the Jedi master saw that his padawan refused to believe anything could stop the slow oblivion he was slipping into. If only Qui-Gon could take hold of his padawan's fears and tear them away, send them to an eternal damnation where they would pay for his padawan's misery. But that could not be. Fear has no conscience, no moral dilemma to choose. It simply was there - because Obi-Wan allowed it. "Turn to the Force," he had told him. "Release all your fears and doubts to it. The Force is our strength. Never try to live without it."

The young man's dull thoughts were temporarily interrupted by another sharp headache. He rested his face in his hands, massaging his temples until the pain receded.

Despite his growing depression, one thought was reassuring. His drug addiction was not the result of weakness - as he had so worried it was. Instead it was the initial high dosages that caused the addiction from the start. And he had not been aware that they were overdoses. It was someone else's insidious plan to bring some type of harm to him - for some hidden reason. So, he should not feel like he failed - that he was weak. Healer J'Reedon even said that Master Yoda would probably have difficulty resisting.

Even so, his memory was failing, and they could do nothing about it. The mutated infection in his brain continued to spread, with no hesitation or remorse. He found that simple things were slipping his mind. What did he have for breakfast? When did he last see Qui-Gon? How fast could a gorndok run?

It seemed like as soon as he tried to remember one thing, then another hole appeared in his past - gaping and torn to shreds by an unclean fiend - be it Shaitan, Asmodeus, or Lucifer - or another hideous creature worse than any nightmare. The young man stood in the wake of a hurricane where the tide of the assault grew with each passing minute.

"No," he murmured to himself, trying to deny what he knew was happening.

~~~

Qui-Gon stood in the center of the Council's chambers, surrounded by the twelve council members. It was customary to first get permission to speak with the Council, but Qui-Gon had burst in demanding an immediate audition. Heeding the tall master's request - or exaction - they listened in polite interest as he informed them of the dire situation with Obi-Wan, as well as the threat of a possible intruder inside the Temple. When he was finished, he turned his attention to Master Yoda.

The little green creature raised heavy eyelids, peering into the depths of Qui-Gon's darkened eyes. "Know he does, of his memory loss?" the wise master asked, reading the pain so plainly displayed in the tall man's eyes.

"Yes, Master," was all Qui-Gon could say, his voice nearly choking. He could not speak of Obi-Wan's hope gone, but all in the room could sense the heavy curtain threatening to fall.

Yoda looked to Mace Windu, seated to his left. Exchanging an unspoken comment, the two apparently came to a quick agreement before Mace spoke up. "Qui-Gon, we will do all we can about this intruder. Right now, your apprentice needs you with him. Return to his side now." Mace managed a small reassuring smile.

Sensing their genuine concern Qui-Gon replied, "yes, masters. I will go." He bowed awkwardly and left the room.

After the doors slid shut, Yoda spoke up. "Send a team to investigate
  2. sheleigh Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm here. :)

Oh... I really don't like how this is going for poor Obi-Wan...

Excellent, Cas- don't suppose we can have more soon? ;)
  3. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    You can have more tomorrow... if you're nice. ;)

And thank you for reading. :)
  4. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    UP?

Where are you guys?
  5. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    :_| I'm so confused! There are just to many good stories floating around out there.I think I'm starting to get them all intermixed in my little bitty brain! Still a great story so don't quit posting! :D
  6. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    That's ok, obi_ew . I'm getting a bunch of them all mixed up now myself. It's a good thing this is already finished or I'd be confused trying to write it. [face_shocked]

Oh, and don't worry. The later parts of this story are different than any I can think of... I think. There's the infamous 'kissing scene', as I've come to think of it after one reader threatened to stop reading it - but don't worry, it's not bad. And there's even a little Dune thrown in for good measure.
  7. Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Master

star 3
    Poor Obi :( - his memory loss is getting worse and somebody inside the Temple must be feeding information (or is an insider :eek:) to Noli and Rousella for them to know about Obi-Wan's condition - I have a bad feeling about this :_|

More when you can.

Rogue
  8. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Poor Obi.He certainly is having a hard time on this FF board lately.

I love it!!!!!

Hope to see a post tomorrow.

PEACE ewen
  9. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    A bad feeling, indeed, Rogue . But you know you love it! :D

We love giving Obi a hard time, don't we ewen ?

And, yes, another post will be up tomorrow! Thanks everyone for reading! :)
  10. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    "Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon entered the hospital room. Noting the look of hopelessness on his padawan's face, he drew the young Jedi into a firm hug. Obi-Wan didn't resist, but he didn't respond either. Worried, Qui-Gon released him and gazed into the young man's eyes. "Obi-Wan?" he prodded, desperately wanting any kind of a reaction.

Raising his eyes to meet the Jedi master's, Obi-Wan blinked back a single tear, trying to hide its existence. Qui-Gon noticed it, but made no indication that he had.

"Master," the young man's voice said, hollow and unfeeling.

"Padawan. Would you like to go for a walk in the Room of a Thousand Fountains?" Qui-Gon tried to smile.

With a blank expression on his face, Obi-Wan replied, "can we, Master? Before..." his voice trailed off. His eyes betrayed a range of emotions, stopping at the same hopeless one he wore when Qui-Gon entered the room.

"Yes, padawan," the Jedi master answered, sadness lying beneath his outer appearance. "I'll make sure we can do whatever you want."

Qui-Gon helped Obi-Wan out of bed and into his tunic, pants, boots, and robe. Then they left the hospital ward unnoticed.

The beauty of the Room of Thousand Fountains did little to cheer the despondent padawan. Obi-Wan followed his master's lead through the perfect landscape. He walked about, absently looking at the ground before him - Qui-Gon at his side.

Finally, they seated themselves on a wrought iron bench with a view of a large fountain trinkling droplets in an enormous pool below. The sound of water and the smell of breathing flora filled the entire conservatory.

Several silent minutes passed before Qui-Gon broke the quiet. "Obi-Wan, do you remember the first time you and I sat on this same bench together?" He watched the young Jedi frown as he tried to remember that specific event.

"Yes, Master," his said quietly, his eyes glued to the fountain. Obi-Wan's thoughts drifted to years past, sifting through bits of memories he could recall. He thought he could still remember most things, but was sure that little pieces were missing here and there.

"We sat here for hours, padawan, and talked about the Force," Qui-Gon reminisced. "About how the Force has a place for us, a destiny for each one to meet." He glanced back at Obi-Wan. The young Jedi appeared to be deep in his thoughts. "You have so much more that the Force has planned for you, padawan. Don't give up yet," he encouraged.

Obi-Wan sighed deeply. "I don't think I have anything else to give, Master. The Force is through with me now." Although he said it, he was not sure if he believed it or not. It just came out - out of the hopeless mindset that he had allowed himself to adopt.

"Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon grabbed the young Jedi's shoulders, pulling him to face him. "Don't even think something like that. I know - you know - that there is more in your future." His eyes sought any sign of understanding in the young man's face.

Obi-Wan dropped his gaze. Shame and hopelessness played behind his eyes. He glanced back up when the Jedi master released his shoulders. Qui-Gon was now peering away from him. Obi-Wan feared that he had let the man down... again, as he always seemed to do.

A sudden ache in his head elicited a small groan from the young Jedi. He pressed the sides of his head, trying to quell the pain, but it was gone in a few seconds.

"Are you hurting, padawan?" Qui-Gon asked, concerned.

"Yes, Master. But it's gone now," Obi-Wan tried to shrug it off, but Qui-Gon could see that the attack only left behind more hopelessness. Tears threatened to spill from the young man's eyes, so he lifted his head trying to keep them from falling. Finally, the young Jedi lost the battle for composure, and a small broken sob escaped his defenses.

Qui-Gon pulled his padawan close to him, wrapping the young man up in his arms. He gently rubbed Obi-Wan's back, as the young Jedi sobbed quietly against his chest.

A short time later, Qui-Gon saw Jedi Knight Zaritus standing in the distance. The young knight seemed to be purposely keeping a distan
  11. sheleigh Jedi Master

star 4
    Poor Obi-Wan... :_| Never gets a break- loosing his memories. Good thing he still has Qui-Gon.

Excellent Cas!

How come I have a sinking suspicion that something is going to go terribly wrong soon? [face_plain]

We were good- does that mean we get more tomorrow? ;)
  12. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you sheleigh ! Of course you know something has to go wrong. [face_devil]

You can have more tomorrow. :)

Also, if you're interested, I just uploaded the fourth part of Remnants in the Mind at FFN. Just look it up under my penname 'Cascadia'.
  13. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
  14. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    You know, Cas - now that I'm into it, I do remember this story - but it's just as good the second time around, although I have absolutely no time for posts. Seems I finished AUF just in time, as I'm now facing a veritable mountain of work.

See ya when I can grab a spare minute.

CYN
  15. Obi the Kid Jedi Master

star 4
    Finally I get a chance to read this! Oh, and so glad I did. This is so sad. But I love great emotional stories! Great job so far!

Obi
  16. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks, CYN ! Glad you're still there. And that's ok. Just pop up every once in awhile to let me know you still are. :) Too bad about work, though. If only we got paid to read and write.... :(

Thanks, OTK ! I love emotional stories too! Thank you for reading! :)
  17. Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Master

star 3
    Cascadia - Obi-Wan sighed deeply. "I don't think I have anything else to give, Master. The Force is through with me now."

That's so sad :_| - Don't give up hope Obi-Wan.

Another great post Cascadia, more when you can.

Rogue
  18. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    You'll get the next post tomorrow... or later today - depending on what time zone you're in.
  20. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    The shuttle was ready to leave by nightfall. It had been a long day for both master and padawan, and the close of the day was welcomed by the master. But to the padawan... it felt like his life was drawing near to a close. This day was a nightmare - a nightmare that he would not wake from. Fate had sealed the doors behind him, and now he was trapped - never to escape, never to return to yesterday. The icy fingers of hopelessness caressed his heart - welcoming a bitter end to all of its victim's past.

Obi-Wan trudged in a sleeping cabin, stopping in the doorway, staring at nothing in particular. Qui-Gon's voice speaking to Zaritus drew him from his daze. He sat heavily on the sleep couch, dropping his travel bag on the floor with a thud. A small headache surfaced, causing him to stiffen - more from the thought of what was taking place than from the actual pain itself. He fell to his side as the pain abated.

"Obi-Wan?" concern lined Qui-Gon's voice. He knelt by the sleep couch of his padawan.

Obi-Wan opened his eyes, but did not look at his master. "What is it, Master?" his voice weary.

"Padawan," Qui-Gon tried to think of something positive to say, but all he could think of were only things to make Obi-Wan think about his condition. No, he could not ask how he was feeling, if there was anything he could do. "Padawan," he tried again, "you need to get some rest."

Panic erupted through their bond. "No, Master," Obi-Wan protested. "If I sleep, then I'll remember less when I wake up, than I do now."

Qui-Gon saw deep pain flood Obi-Wan's eyes and could not find any foothold for an argument. If Obi-Wan wanted to stay awake, then he would let him. He knew the young Jedi was exhausted and could not hold out for long. So he sat on the edge of the sleep couch and talked about his old master dragging him into antique shops on every mission. Obi-Wan simply laid still, listening - like a young child listening to an elder's stories of long ago.

It was not long before the young Jedi fell asleep. Feeling the young man needed help for a good rest, Qui-Gon pressed him into a deeper sleep.

In the morning, Qui-Gon checked on Obi-Wan finding him still asleep - but he wasn't concerned. The young man needed rest.

~~~

Jatamansi was not a far away planet. Near Coruscant and the core worlds, it was a densely populated, diversified composite of numerous cultures - exotic and dangerous alike. The Jatamasion government encouraged the diversity - even paying subsidies to off-planet companies who would reestablish their base of operations on Jatamansi. This action alone imported billions of credits into the local system - creating a booming and prosperous economy. It also brought with it a populace looking for wealth, power, and opportunity.

Qui-Gon had been here on a few occasions before, but never with his padawan. Most of his previous encounters with the social populace ended in trouble. There were pugnacious dregs looking for calamity, and Jedi status did not keep one from being picked as a target. Jata, the capital, was the worst place on the planet.

Obi-Wan usually enjoyed seeing different planets - one of the benefits of being a Jedi - but in his present state he had mixed feelings of learning about a new culture. Why should he learn about something he will probably forget? However, it could be used as an escape from this present reality. He numbly followed Qui-Gon from the shuttle, through the Jata spaceport, and aboard a transit. Sitting next to a viewport, he watched the buildings and varied races pass by as the transit crawled its way to the medical facility. Qui-Gon sat next to him, with Zaritus on the other side of the aisle.

"Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon began. "We're almost there. This planet reminds me of Kiradess," he said, staring at the cityscape passing by.

The young Jedi frowned at the comment. "What's Kiradess, Master?"

"It's where we..." he trailed off, remembering that Obi-Wan had already forgotten some things. Attempting to steer clear of answering the question, Qui-Gon pointed to an odd
  21. kasiaskywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    upupup
    upupup
    upupup
    UPUPUPUP
  22. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for upping, kasiaskywalker !

Where'd everybody else go??!!
  23. sheleigh Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh yes, Noli sounds like a perfectly evil person. :mad:

Sorry I'm late- I just spent eight hours learning the fine art of babysitting, and first aid... ;)

Excellent, Cas.

Obi-Wan is afraid of sleep now- simply because he thinks he may wake up and not remember? Oh... that's so sad... :_| Poor kid, doesn't catch a break.

And the plot thickens...

Again, excellent, and I can't wait for more... I'll be good... will you post again tomorrow? ;)
  24. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for reading, sheleigh ! :)

I'll be out of town most of the day tomorrow, so I probably won't post then. But I'll have the next part up Monday!
  25. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    :( Out of town? Who said you could go out of town? Just kidding,but hurry back ok? :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.