main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Patchwork (UDC, v2 Response: multiple characters, themes & eras) Completed, 5/6/2013

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Alexis_Wingstar, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Fighter was awesome! Again your portrayal of Owen/Beru is fantastic.

Freighter - [face_laugh] Freighter, fighter, tomato, tomahto

Capital Ship - :p That sounds like Wedge.

That was a great collection!!

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Fighter-no better way to go down.

Shuttle: lol Wedge

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you. That one was the hardest set so far for me. I'm so glad you like them.

Thanks for responding. :D

Tearjerker alert for this next set!

~~~~~~~~~~

Burn

?Hush, don?t wake her.? Cliegg whispered to Owen. When his son shrugged and walked away, the elder Lars man sighed as he watched Shmi sleeping peacefully in the back of the landspeeder. They had just arrived back at the homestead after freeing her from a lifetime of slavery. She looked so beautiful lying there that he was loathe to the thought of waking her.

After a couple minutes of watching her, he reached out and caressed her cheek. His heart burned like the blazing twin suns as he touched her.

?Wake up, Shmi,? he whispered in her ear. ?We?re home.?

Rash

It was a rash decision to ask Watto how much he wanted for Shmi. His bearing was too eager, and the Toydarian asked for an amount he could not raise in a lifetime.

?You don?t think she?s worth it?? Watto squinted shrewdly at the moisture farmer.

She?s worth ten times that. Cliegg thought.

?Come up wit? da money, or give me something as valuable.? Watto turned his back and floated away as his wings buzzed rapidly.

What kept Cliegg from killing Watto was not the fear of going to jail, but the knowledge that Shmi would still be a slave.

Surgery

Cliegg held his sleeping two-year-old in his lap as he sat in the emergency room?s waiting area. He tried not to look at the chronometer on the wall, but the silent timekeeper kept drawing his eyes. Please, let Aika live! He prayed as he awaited some word on his wife.

I should be the one undergoing emergency surgery, he thought guiltily.

He had been the one who was driving the landspeeder when they crashed, and had only sustained a few scratches and bruises. He looked down at little Owen when the boy stirred. Thank whatever gods there are he?s unharmed.

Hurt

Cliegg rolled over to reach for his wife as he woke, but? ?Gone,? he whispered as he opened his eyes and grief clamped his heart once more.

The pain had not diminished two years after the death of his beloved Shmi. It grew.

When Aika had died, he had found it easier to move on. Owen had needed him. Now, Owen was grown and was married. Cliegg was no longer needed.

He found it harder to get out of bed each morning. Each night he went to bed hoping death would claim him in his sleep.

Living hurt too much.

Heal

Owen knelt before his father?s grave. His eyes were as dry as the desert ground beneath him. He felt numb as he stared blindly at the marker that bore his father?s name.

?Complications of his injury,? the doctor had sited as the cause of death.

Owen knew better. His father had given up. He had died of a broken heart. ?I guess that?s the hardest thing to heal.? He whispered.

Beru knelt beside him and he took her hand. Looking over at her, he saw her tears and put his arms around her to comfort her.

His tears finally came.

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Those were lovely

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Heal broke my heart, though. :_| :_| :_|

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    So sad and so beautiful written, all of them:_| poor Clieg

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Kelia and earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you for reading. [:D]

This next set is a bit lighter in mood, I hope you enjoy. [face_peace]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shirt

The senator passionately kissed her gorgeous husband after a too long absence. Long forgotten was her hesitation to love him with abandon. She wanted him.

Now.

Ignored was the button that flew across the room and bounced across the floor as she ripped his shirt off him and ran her thirsty lips down his neck. Hungrily, she slid her mouth across his broad shoulders and down his muscular torso.

She felt his muscles react with equal passion. She closed her eyes as he ran his fingers through her hair. Padme smiled as she heard Anakin gasp when she reached his?

Pants

?Where are you? We have business with the Council in ten minutes!? Obi-wan Kenobi?s irritated voice came over the comm.

?I?ll be there soon, master!? Anakin pursed his lips in frustration as he glanced at Padme.

?You better hurry.? She whispered, tenderly kissing his cheek.

?Yeah,? he agreed, but took the time to kiss her passionately before he quickly extricated himself from the covers and hurriedly dressed. He made sure he had his lightsaber at his belt, and just as he was about to leave the bedroom?

?Anakin,? Padme giggled.

He looked back to see her holding out his pants.

Dress

He was oblivious to fashion. He found his fiancé beautiful no matter what she wore. He had seen her in drab, gray dresses many times, but only saw her sparkling blue eyes and loving smile. She needed nothing fancy to be beautiful.

Yet, as he stood in front of his friends, family and neighbors and saw her walking toward him in full bridal regalia, he suddenly forgot to breathe.

That is, until she stopped before him and his father nudged him not too gently to get him to stop staring, slack jawed, at the soon to be Mrs. Beru Whitesun-Lars.

Uniform

Luke stood proudly in front of the mirror admiring his new officer?s uniform. He carefully straightened the cap and thought he should get haircut soon.

Though he did not agree with much of what the Empire stood for, he hoped that, as an officer he could make a difference from the inside. He wondered if his father would be proud.

?Luke, stop admiring yourself in the mirror! There?s work to be done!? Uncle Owen?s gruff voice startled him out of his daydream.

Luke looked at his real reflection in the mirror for a moment before sighing morosely and turning away.

Cloak

It could be a shield to hide one?s identity from prying eyes.

It could be a shelter from buffeting winds.

It could be a mantle, giving one dignity.

It could be many things as the occasion dictates.

This brown cloak was much like the one who wore it.

Old, weary, shabby, and nearly forgotten on the fringes of the galaxy.

Ben Kenobi pulled back the hood of his cloak and looked up from the young boy he had looked after from afar for many years.

?Hello,? he spoke gently. He smiled at the stout astromech droid and beckoned it closer.

7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    loved them all and the last Cloak especially.

8. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Shirt was very...steamy! But perfect for Padme and Anakin

Pants was [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I can just picture Anakin in that frenzied a rush!

All were great.

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. UndeadPhelps

UndeadPhelps Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2002
    Week 5:
    A whole set of Owen/Cliegg!! Hurt and Heal were phenomenally sad. Great work!

You are like the Yoda of Owen/Cliegg fic-dom!

Week 6:
    Shirt Holy :eek:

Uniform ? daydreaming! Nicely done. I didn?t see that coming. That was a treat.

Cloak ? that was cool. Nuff said. :cool:

10. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Awesome job on these Alexis_Wingstar!! :) They were all terrific, but I think this has to be my favorite: :D

Luke stood proudly in front of the mirror admiring his new officer?s uniform. He carefully straightened the cap and thought he should get haircut soon.

Though he did not agree with much of what the Empire stood for, he hoped that, as an officer he could make a difference from the inside. He wondered if his father would be proud.

?Luke, stop admiring yourself in the mirror! There?s work to be done!? Uncle Owen?s gruff voice startled him out of his daydream.

Luke looked at his real reflection in the mirror for a moment before sighing morosely and turning away.

Terrific job!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    earlybird-obi-wan: I'm glad you liked it. I was going to go for something darker, but when I went to type that, the image of Obi-wan pulling back his hood and smiling at Artoo in ANH came to me, and that was the result.

KELIA: I couldn't resist leading "Shirt" into "Pants"... it came rather naturally. :p Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

UndeadPhilps: "The Yoda of Owen/Cliegg fic-dom"... Wow, thanks! If you like that set of drabbles, you may like "Dropping In" & "Barren" which deals mostly with Owen and Beru before AoTC, and "Liberty's Choice" which covers when Cliegg bought and freed Shmi. The links are in my profile.

Yeah, I pushed TOS a bit with 'Shirt'. :D Uniform was fun to write. I felt sorry for poor Luke when his daydreaming was cut short. :p I'm glad you liked 'Cloak'. Thanks for reading.

dancing_star: Thanks. :)

12. dark_jedi_lover

dark_jedi_lover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2004
    =D= All of your drabbles are wonderful. I love the way you fit deep emotions in such a few words. I think my favorites would have to be the ones about the Lars family. Looking forward to more. :)

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    dark_jedi_lover: I'm glad you enjoyed them. I enjoy writing these drabbles. :)

This time, I stuck with one family for this set of drabbles. I hope you all enjoy them...

~~~~

Mouth

Han smiled inappropriately as Leia went through her tirade over his latest display of insensitivity. He had a hard time concentrating on the angry words that came from her mouth as he watched the perfectly formed, soft, red lips, which framed it.

?I don?t think this is the least bit funny!? Leia pursed her lips as she placed her balled fists on her hips.

?Neither do I,? Han murmured just before planting a kiss on those tantalizing lips.

Leia tried to pull away at first, but soon she was kissing him with more passion than she put into her diatribe.

Ears

Another high-pitched wail assaulted Han?s ears from the other cradle just as he had put Jaina down. ?Oh no,? he whispered as he turned to pick up Jacen. ?Hush, don?t wake your mother!?

He checked Jacen?s diaper and was relieved to see? and smell? it was clean. ?You just wanted to be held, didn?t you, little buddy??

He smiled tiredly as he cradled his son. When Jaina started fussing again, he picked her up. Holding the twins in his arms, he sat down in the chair. He started singing, and since he didn?t know the words, he made them up.

Eyes

Leia?s smile reached her eyes as she peered around the corner to watch Han sing a made-up lullaby to their twins. She was grateful Luke was staying with them for a little while, or Artoo would not be using his holo-projector to record this precious moment.

When Han sang the final note, she entered. Patting the diminutive droid on his dome, she whispered thanks before it rolled out of the room. Han looked up tiredly and smiled sheepishly. ?I tried not to wake you.?

Leia kissed his forehead before taking Jacen. ?I would not have missed this for the galaxy.?

Nose

Jaina wrinkled her nose as she and her twin brother looked upon the new addition to the family. ?He stinks! Can we exchange him for a nicer model??

?Jaina,? Jacen exclaimed, ?Anakin can?t help it, he?s just a baby!? He looked up hopefully at their mother. ?Can I change him??

?Yuck, that?s gross!?

Jacen stuck his tongue out at Jaina.

A smile played at the corners of Leia?s lips. ?You can help.? She placed Anakin on the changing table, and instructed Jacen on which items to hand her as she changed the diaper.

Jaina watched, nose still wrinkled in disgust.

Hands

Sitting in a chair that dwarfed her, Jaina held her youngest brother in her lap. Though her hands were still small, she marveled at how much tinier Anakin?s were in comparison. She giggled as his fingers tightly grasped hers. ?You sure are strong, aren?t you??

Warmth flooded her heart as she smiled down at her baby brother. The memory of all the nights both her and Jacen were awakened by Anakin?s cries faded. ?I guess we can keep you after all.?

She was delighted when Anakin returned her smile until she detected a rather distinct and foul smelling odor. ?MOM!?

14. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Those were absolutely beautiful!!

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

I absolutely loved ears and eyes.

How wonderful to see Han and Leia enjoying parenthood.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

15. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Oh, these were all so wonderful! I have Physics homework I need to be doing[face_shame_on_you] , but I'm going to have to quote a bunch since I can't pick a favorite! :D

Mouth

Han smiled inappropriately as Leia went through her tirade over his latest display of insensitivity. He had a hard time concentrating on the angry words that came from her mouth as he watched the perfectly formed, soft, red lips, which framed it.

?I don?t think this is the least bit funny!? Leia pursed her lips as she placed her balled fists on her hips.

?Neither do I,? Han murmured just before planting a kiss on those tantalizing lips.

Leia tried to pull away at first, but soon she was kissing him with more passion than she put into her diatribe.

Awww!! [face_love] Splendid H/L mush!

He smiled tiredly as he cradled his son. When Jaina started fussing again, he picked her up. Holding the twins in his arms, he sat down in the chair. He started singing, and since he didn?t know the words, he made them up.
    Aww, so sweet!![face_love] Han makes such a good daddy.[face_love]

Leia?s smile reached her eyes as she peered around the corner to watch Han sing a made-up lullaby to their twins. She was grateful Luke was staying with them for a little while, or Artoo would not be using his holo-projector to record this precious moment.

[face_laugh] LOL. I don't think Han would be very happy if he found out.o_O [face_laugh]

Jaina wrinkled her nose as she and her twin brother looked upon the new addition to the family. ?He stinks! Can we exchange him for a nicer model??
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Warmth flooded her heart as she smiled down at her baby brother. The memory of all the nights both her and Jacen were awakened by Anakin?s cries faded. ?I guess we can keep you after all.?
    Such a lovely set!!![face_love] So sweet and wonderfully done! I enjoyed very much!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

Now, to get back to my homework. :rolleyes: *sigh*

16. dark_jedi_lover

dark_jedi_lover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2004
    These are lovely! My favorite was Ears--deep down Han is just a big ol' softy. [face_love]

17. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Mouth ? fantastic Han/Leia interaction. =D=

Eyes ? She was grateful Luke was staying with them for a little while, or Artoo would not be using his holo-projector to record this precious moment.
    The mind conjures up future scenarios where Leia springs the holo on Han. :p Nice!

Hands ? She was delighted when Anakin returned her smile until she detected a rather distinct and foul smelling odor. ?MOM!?
    C?mon, Jaina ? like you?ve never done that when you were a baby! :p

Awesome stuff as usual! =D=

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Kelia: Yeah, it seemed they didn't get a chance to enjoy it to much according to the profics... it seemed they, especially Leia were always too busy.

dancing_star: Oh my, am I being a bad influence? [face_worried] :p Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed the set.

dark_jedi_lover: Yeah, I see Han as a diamond in the rough... that refuses to be polished. :p

BigE: Thank you. [face_blush]

Now to play catch-up! I think I'll do two sets each week until I'm caught up.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 8 (11.12.07)

Sullustan

Tiav Krna quietly considered the top of her client?s head before starting to work. The young human lady had come to the Sullustan beautician for a fresh new look.

Soon, the clean floor sported more hair than the woman sitting in the chair did as Tiav shaped the hair as though it were clay and she the sculptor. She paused in her cutting to stand back and look with a critical eye.

?It is finished, you may look.?

Alexis looked at herself in the mirror. ?Is that really me?? A small smile played about her lips.

Tiav nodded with pride.

Bothan

?Mark my words. As long as the Galactic Alliance stands, those who are not human will have no real role in the government.?

?We have our representative in the Senate, do we not?? The young Bothan student asked Densk Malay?lya.

?Hmph,? Densk snorted disdainfully. ?You mean the body of representatives who are too afraid of the Emperor to do or say anything against his policies? I?m surprised he hasn?t done away with it already.? He looked his student in the eye. ?We are nothing in this regime, Koth. You will know when I?m executed for spreading lies against their propaganda.?

Human

The human teenager curled up in a fetal position in the corner of the cockpit as he screamed wordlessly in pain.

She was dead.

He knew it.

He could feel her passing.

Then he sensed it.

Master Phtam was in danger.

Pushing away the pain of losing Jev, the woman whom he regarded as his mother, he quickly went to the controls of the ship. He took a deep breath before taking it out of orbit.

?I know I?m not following your orders, master,? Jefri whispered as he used the Force to guide his hand. ?I can?t lose you, too!?

Mon Calamari

?Fool, I come from what you call Mon Calamari,? Viem Torrl hissed angrily. ?That does not make me a Mon Cal! I am Quarren.?

?Oh, I?m sorry,? the youngling?s lip trembled as he lowered his eyes. His shoulders slumped. ?I didn?t mean to offend.?

Viem sighed and placed a hand on the boy?s shoulder. ?I am the one who should apologize. I need to learn not to be so sensitive. Come, it is time for the evening meal.? The padawan smiled down as the youngling looked up at him with obvious relief in his eyes. ?What?s your name??

?Obi-wan Kenobi.?

Wookiee

The Wookie towered over the other padawan hopefuls. One by one, a knight or master would walk down the line and tap the shoulder of the youth they chose to take as padawan. The freshly chosen marched away with his/ her/ its new master.

Unlike the others, she was not discouraged when someone else was chosen. She knew who her master would be, and she struggled not to turn her head to look over the other children?s heads to catch sight of him.

Finally, Jedi Knight Kavin Horn stood before her. ?Kahreeshku, would you honor me by becoming my padawan??

19. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Week 9

Family

Luke stalked angrily out of the kitchen after another argument with his uncle. He didn?t notice Owen slump his shoulders in sadness the youth would not have recognized as such even if he had seen it. On the way to the garage he muttered, ?I wish I had a real family.?

Owen stood in the kitchen doorway staring after his nephew. He turned and walked into the living room. Looking at a hologram of himself on his father?s shoulders, then at one with a much younger Luke on his own, he whispered, ?I wish he could see we are family.?

Travel

She enjoyed watching the playful Ewoks in the forests of Endor.

She marveled at the towering spires of Coruscant?s buildings.

She was in awe at the scenic beauty of Mon Calamari?s depths.

She visited the Ord Mantell, the stunning Heart of the Bright Jewel.

Twice she attended the impressive Time of Meeting on Ithor.

The desert of Tatooine she found was beautiful in its starkness.

She has traveled to so many places throughout the galaxy, and all have their share of wonderful treasures.

Yet for Leia, none can compare to the place to which she can never return.

Alderaan.

Home.

Food

Shmi served Owen and Cliegg the first meal she fixed for them. She had improvised with what was in the refrigerator and cupboards. The concoction was based on something she had as a child, though she could not recall the name of the restaurant that made the original food. She sat between them and watched surreptitiously, her own fork hovering between plate and mouth.

?Hm,? Cliegg said around a mouthful of food, ?with a little blue sauce, this would taste just like a bantha breakfast biscuit!?

Owen laughed as he agreed. ?Did you sell this recipe to the Breakfast Baron??

Blessings

As his wife slept, the man held his newborn twins in his arms. When the girl started to squirm and fuss, he softly cooed nonsense words to her. He laughed quietly at the apparent disgust on her face. ?Yeah, I never would have guessed ?poooky boo? would have come from my lips, either,? he whispered as he sat down in the chair next to his wife?s bed and rocked back and forth.

As he watched the twins, he thought of what might have been if he had made different choices.

?You are our blessings,? Anakin whispered to Luke and Leia.

Thanks

Forgotten was the pain of his body and soul as he became one with the force. He relished the reunion with his beloved wife.

Warmth filled his heart as his father embraced him along with his mother whom he never really met. He knew her however, because he saw his sister in her eyes and felt the love emanating from her.

The same tenderness radiated from his aunt as she too embraced him.

He turned to look at his uncle. As their eyes met, Luke felt Uncle Owen?s surprise as he reached out to hug him and whispered, ?Thank you.?

20. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Week 8 - Lovely

Though Bothan was tragic...and very true.

Week 9 - Those were gorgeous

Family was a bit sad. It is unfortunate Luke couldn't see past his emotions and recognize Owen and Beru as his real family.

I just loved blessings [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Great updates

=D= =D= =D= =D=

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you Kelia, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 10

Water

The four-year-old sat on the shore with his feet idly dangling in the water. He laughed as he watched his sister and mom splashing each other in the shallows.

Then he noticed something.

He tilted his head in curiosity as he looked at the lake then up at the sky then back down. ?Mommy, is the sky made of water, or is the water a piece of sky that fell down to Naboo??

?What was that, Luke?? Padme smiled over at her son.

Before Luke could repeat it, Leia splashed him as she giggled. ?Come swim in the clouds, Skybrainer.?

Wine

Bryont gazed into Maci?s eyes as the waiter poured the wine into their glasses. He vaguely heard the man?s words before leaving the bottle in ice and leaving the table. He smiled tenderly at his wife as he raised the glass. ?To ten years together and many more to come.?

Maci rose her own glass with her slender fingers and blushed slightly. ?To the happiness you have given me and which I hope to return ten-fold.?

Their eyes remained locked as they sipped the wine.

?I love you,? they whispered in unison as they returned the goblets to the table.

Ale

Tiin stared into the mug of ale. His mind raced almost as fast as his heart as he thought of the kiss he shared with Miri. The fact that she could have been his made him feel worse for betraying Kavin. As tears threatened to come, he stood and headed toward the door.

?Hey fella,? the barkeep called out, ?you haven?t even touched your drink!?

?It will not help me.? Having already paid, Tiin left.

?Hey, since he di?n?t wan? it, ken I haf it?? Another patron slurred.

Shrugging, the bartender handed it to the customer. ?That?ll be five credits.?

Tea

A bleary-eyed Garen searched frantically through the cupboards, forgetting that he was trying to keep quiet so he would not wake Tama.

?What are you looking for,? questioned Tama as she came into the kitchen.

?Where do you keep the caf?? It was more an exclamation than a question, and Garen?s face had a desperate expression upon it.

Trying hard not to laugh, Tama went over to the cupboard and reached up to get a box. ?I don?t drink coffee. I?ll make some tea.?

?Tea!? Garen scowled. ?It?ll take more than a letter of the alphabet to make me happy.?

Juice

Young Luke finished making breakfast, and before carrying the trays to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, he decided to poor some juice. As he poured the brown liquid, he innocently wondered what kind of fruit Jawas put into their juice. Taking a sip, he gagged and grimaced. ?Must be rotten fruit? another thing only adults can acquire a taste for.? Shaking his head and still grimacing in disgust, he put the glasses full of Jawa juice on the trays before carefully balancing them on both hands. He then proceeded to their bedroom to serve them their anniversary breakfast in bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Because I forgot to respond to the response. [face_blush]

22. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Water and Juice were just lovely

It's particularly sweet of Luke to make breakfast for his aunt and uncle.

great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved all of them from every week and memories from those many timeframes.

24. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    "Skybrainer" ? [face_laugh] I like that.

?Tea!? Garen scowled. ?It?ll take more than a letter of the alphabet to make me happy.?

Awesome line. :p I?m in agreement: [face_coffee]

25. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Kelia: Yeah, but poor Luke didn't realize that Jawa juice is actually beer. [face_laugh]

earlybird-obi-wan: I'm glad you enjoyed them. :)

BigE: Unfortunately, I'm addicted to [face_coffee] so I very much identify with Garen.

This next set is all OC's from "Of Loss and Broken Promises". I've been sprinkling my sets with some from them throughout this thread. This time I decided to do a whole set on them. My first attempt at doing the drabbles from last year was wholely dedicated to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 11

Young

Kavin stood quietly on the porch as he watched his sons play in the yard.

?I?m going to be a jedi just like daddy!? Jakob swung a stick around.

Kavin felt a surge of pride at the announcement. Just as quickly, the pride was replaced with piercing pain when Caylib replied, ?I don?t want to be a jedi. I don?t want to be away from my family more than I?m with them.?

?Daddy loves us,? Jakob said in their father?s defense.

?I know, but?? young Caylib stopped, looking around to see Kavin. He walked over to his father. ?I?m sorry.?

In-Between

Kavin felt both young and old as he looked down at his son. I am always in-between? young and old, jedi and civilian, good and bad. He knelt and reached out to caress Caylib?s cheek. ?You have nothing to apologize for, son.? He hugged his son. ?Be true to yourself, and I will always love you no matter what you choose.?

Caylib returned the hug. ?I love you, dad.?

Kavin held him for a moment more before pulling away. ?Let?s play tag.? He quickly tagged Caylib and sprang off the porch. ?You?re it.?

?Hey, no fair,? Caylib laughingly exclaimed.

Old

?I can?t do this anymore, Miri.? All light from Kavin?s eyes was drained and he felt old beyond his years. ?I cannot live two lives. I?m cheating the order, you, our children? myself.?

Miri held her husband as she kissed his cheek. ?I love you, Kavin,? she whispered, ?whatever you do, I support you.?

Kavin put his strong arms around Miri. ?Tomorrow I?m going back to Corruscant for the last time. I?m going to face the council and tell them of our marriage and resign.? With that declaration, a weight lifted from his shoulders and he no longer felt old.

Foolish

Kavin was no longer able to look into his former master?s disapproving gaze. He had no problem disappointing the council. He had no personal bond with any of them. He saw how foolish he had been to think he could leave the Jedi Order without leaving scars. His whispered. ?I?m sorry I disappointed you, Master.?

Master Dyn-Kieb placed an old, wrinkled, yet still strong hand on Kavin?s shoulder. ?You misunderstand, my son. It is I who have disappointed me? and failed you, for you could not come to me and share the pain you have gone through all these years.?

Wise

?Do you think it?s wise to sneak into their room?? Caylib ask Jakob.

?This coming from the one who wishes not to be a jedi.? The younger brother rolled his eyes as he tiptoed. ?Besides, they just said their room was off limits so we won?t walk in on them when they?? he wrinkled his nose, not wanting to contemplate, ?? well, you know.?

?Shut up!?

?They won?t mind... we'll put these here.? Jakob continued as they placed carefully wrapped presents on their parents? pillows.

The two gasped when they turned to leave. Standing in the doorway were their parents.