Before Patience. (Qui/Obi. JA 1 Angst.) *Complete*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Glenstorm, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Glenstorm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Title: Patience
    Author: Glenstorm
    Characters: Qui/Obi
    Timeframe: JA 1
    Summary: Qui-Gon needs Obi-Wan?s patience.
    Genre: Angst. Songfic. Slightly AU. Begins by following canon then changes. (Huge, massive spoilers with great big bells on for JA 1)
    Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me. Nothing at all. Boys belong to George. Song belongs to Take That. I?m just messing around with both. All known JA characters and recognisable parts of the storyline belong to Dave Wolverton and Jude Watson (though these are mainly told from a different point of view).

Hi, everybody, it?s good to be back! Sorry I?ve been away for so long but my internet connection has been playing up and has only just now been fixed. (Tuh, you can?t get the internet connections these days can you.) :p I?ve got loads to catch up on!

Anyway, I haven?t been idle and this is the first part of one of the stories I?ve been working on during my forced exile. It?s not terribly original [face_blush] but it was one of those ideas that I had to get off my chest.

It was planned as a one shot but grew out of hand so now it comes in about five parts.

And now I?m going to shut up. Here it is.

Part 1

Qui-Gon Jinn waited silently as the starship bearing him back to the Jedi Temple dipped from the coldness of space. It?s icy outer hull blushed with heat as it kissed the first layers of Coruscant?s upper atmosphere and dropped lower. In seconds they were breaking through the heavy cloud bank.

Shifting his travel pack on one broad shoulder, the Jedi Master watched through the nearest porthole as the endless cityscape of the galaxy?s Capital planet came into view far below. No forests, no mountains, no ocean. The shining city dominated the whole surface. It had been that way for thousands of years and most likely always would. Coruscant was home to billions of beings, from the leaders of the galaxy to the lowliest shop owner. Without any effort Qui-Gon could sense every pin prick of life through the Force, each one adding to and flowing along with its infinite power. The planet fairly vibrated in Qui-Gon?s mind.

For a Force sensitive who had never visited Coruscant, Qui-Gon guessed that the experience would have been quite overwhelming, but as one who had been raised and trained in the Jedi Temple his whole life he had grown used to muting the City?s ?buzz?, pushing it to the edge of his awareness. He couldn?t have lived for over forty years with a constant headache.

There was a slight tilt beneath Qui-Gon?s booted feet as the small ship quickly manoeuvred to join the bustling air lanes crisscrossing Coruscant?s skyline. With effortless grace Qui-Gon shifted his balance with the ease of a trained warrior as the pilot jockeyed for position among the other various ships and speeders travelling the city planet. The rest of the passengers strapped into their seats behind him gripped their arm rests.

It was forever busy on Coruscant. As the epicentre of the Republic there could be no help for that.

At least the antics of the pilot had now distracted the others from their curiosity of him. All the way here he had blocked out their wonder at having found themselves sharing a transport with one of the legendary Jedi Knights, ?defenders of the galaxy?. His plain but distinctive tan tunics and long, dark brown robe had given him away the second he had stepped onboard. And he had held their attention ever since.

It was another thing he should have grown used to, Qui-Gon supposed, but today he was in no mood for it. Awe and not a small amount of fear had kept most of the other passengers from trying to approach him and ply him with excited questions, and for once Qui-Gon had made no attempt to set them at ease. With his imposing height, long greying hair and strong leonine features, he was a more forbidding sight than most. And he used that to his advantage to keep the bolder ones at bay, pulling his cloak tighter about him and wrapping
  2. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    Welcome back! I've missed seeing you around on the boards! [:D] Great start...so full of angst for both Qui and Obi--I love it! Great job and I can't wait to read the rest of it.
  3. Fifilla Jedi Knight

star 3
    =D= Great work!!! =D=
    Very angsty and heartbreaking - I could really feel Qui-Gon's reluctance of returning to the temple.

But it just couldn?t work like that. The betrayal of Xanatos had forever left it?s mark upon him.

That was the price of love, he surmised.

And Qui-Gon had loved his Padawan.

:_|

I hope seeing this updated soon! :)
  4. Jinngerbread Jedi Master

star 4

Qui-Gon reached into a cupboard and pulled down a pack of his favourite tea. Immediately the strong aroma of the sapir leaf filled the air. Gratefully he inhaled its rich scent, letting the tea?s soothing qualities seep down though his senses. Oh, he was going to need this if he was going to get through the next couple of hours.

But hardly had he set the water to boiling when he noticed that the light on his communications console was flashing. A brief glance told him that he was wanted right away down in the training rooms.

Qui-Gon bit back a groan. Already? It seemed that Master Yoda was even more persistent than ever this year.

He was not even going to be allowed a cup of tea.

I couldn't help but laugh even as I felt bad for poor Qui-Gon. Didn't even have a chance to have tea. Poor baby. And really interesting doing things in canon from Qui's pov. :D Will be interesting to see where this goes, glad to have you back!

5. Cole_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, this was just splendid! I love good Obi-wan/Qui-gon angst stories!:D

I really liked how you started it and got used Qui-gon's perspective to narrorate. Poor Obi-wan can't win for trying. Aha. Loved how Yoda is also the kniveing one, settling things into motion.

And oh, Obi-wan is a bold one, isn't he? Aha. Maybe instead of anger Qui-gon should have lectured him on desperation, because that's a strong emotion too. When people get desperate they will do anything, like beg a certain Jedi Master. Aha.

Great start. I'd love to read more! Please add me to the PM list! Thank you!
  6. dimyavie Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Forget the rotten veggies and stuff, that was an awesome start! Welcome back, btw! I missed your writings! Please update soon!! Thanks! :D
  7. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    That was really awesome! I can't wait to see what happens next. I've only read a couple of the JA books, but I know what happens so... Anyway, this is awesome! If you're doing a PM list, would you mind adding me to it? Thanks!
  8. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ah Qui-Gon, you cannot fight the will of the Force...or Master Yoda for that matter :p

?You could teach me better,? the boy said evenly without missing a beat

I love Obi-Wan's confidence and I think it's just what Qui needs to stop beating himself up over losing Xanatos.

If you have a PM list for this, please add me

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  9. NerdWOMAN Jedi Knight

star 2
    =D= =D=
    Well done! I enjoyed it. I found that it flowed quite easily and read well. I especially enjoyed the sparring scene.
  10. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

Hi nice to see you back on the boards.[:D]

you know how much I love Obi & Qui in a story together
    Cant wait to see where it is heading.[face_thinking]

Good start=D=
  11. Glenstorm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jedidas3: Thank-you! [:D] It?s good to be back! And I?m glad you like this story. Though right now I?m torn between writing and catching up with your ?Best of Intentions?. It's an epic! Loving it so far.

Fifilla: Thank-you. Angst is the only way to go! I promise the next installment is not far behind.

Jinngerbread: Yes, lack of tea can be torture some times! [face_devil]

Cole_Kenobi: Consider yourself added. I?m really glad you like this so much. I wasn?t too sure about it myself at first. And yes you?re right, Obi-Wan must have been desperate to do what he did there. He?s not usually one to be so bold or to beg is he

dimyavie: Thank-you so much! [:D] And do I promise to update soon. Everything?s pretty much written back here. :D

Quigonjecca: This is really awesome. [face_blush] [:D] Awww, thanks. And I see no problem in adding you to my PM list. :D

KELIA: No he cannot and never should have. [face_shame_on_you] to Qui-Gon. It would have saved a lot of trouble. And you are hereby added very welcomely (is that a word) to my PM list.

NerdWOMAN: Thanks a lot!

Gkilkenny: Thanks! You?re not the only one who?s a big sucker for Qui/Obi stories. Particularly when there?s a lot of angst involved. [face_devil]

And again I thank you all for the kind welcome back. The next post will be up by next week. [:D] [:D]

12. Glenstorm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Part 2

It's a bit of looong one, folks. :D

Chapter 2

An hour later Qui-Gon found himself sitting quietly in the Star Map room. A usual position in his current state of mind. His feet often directed him here when he was in need of some peace. Today was no different. Of all the rooms in the Jedi Temple this was his favourite. A velvety blue ceiling curved into a dome above his head, the only light coming from the holographic stars and planets that floated silently on the air around him.

Knowledge was so easily obtained here. He only had to reach out his hand and touch one of the represented stars to get a download of all the information for that system. Culture, history, natural resources. But when it came to matters of the heart, so much was a mystery.

He tried unsuccessfully to get the sight of Obi-Wan?s despairing face out of his head, but the memory seemed to be burned into his mind, tormenting him.

He couldn?t say why and that?s what bothered him the most. He had told himself he had made the right decision. The only one he could make. He could not take another Padawan.

?The boy is not my responsibility,? he said aloud, giving voice to his disclaim, as if it would silence the demons that kept harrying him.

?So certain are you?? Yoda?s soft, crackly voice came from behind him.

Startled, Qui-Gon turned quickly. ?I didn?t hear you.?

Yoda stumped further into the star map room, leaning heavily on his wooden gimer stick. ?A dozen students fought for you today. If choose an apprentice today you do not, the dreams of at least one of those younglings will die.?

Qui-Gon gave a sharp longsuffering sigh. He kept his deep blue eyes locked determinedly on a bright red star floating before him, letting Yoda know the topic was not welcome. ?There will be more students next year. Perhaps then I will choose a Padawan.? Qui-Gon wished the ancient Master would leave and let the matter drop. He did not want to discuss it.

But he knew Yoda well enough to know that the other Master would not leave until he made his point.

?Perhaps,? Yoda agreed. ?Or perhaps still reluctant, you will be. What of young Obi-Wan. Well he fought.?

There he went again. Qui-Gon looked at down at his companion. Hundreds of initiates never made it to become Padawans. It was impossible to find Masters for all of them. Some just weren?t meant to become Jedi Knights. Why was Yoda so insistent on having this boy trained?

?He fought?ferociously,? he agreed finally, finding nothing else to say.

?Yes,? said Yoda. ?Like a boy I once knew long ago.?

Qui-Gon?s heart twisted sharply. ?Don?t,? he cut Yoda off. ?Xanatos is gone. I don?t want to be reminded.?

?Not speaking of that one,? Yoda said. ?Of you I spoke.?

Qui-Gon?s shoulders sagged in defeat, unable to argue. Yoda knew him too well. The eight hundred year old Master had helped guide him from his infancy. As he had guided every other student that had passed through the doors of the Temple for ten generations.

?Strong he is in the Force,? the ancient Master tried again.

?And angry and reckless,? Qui-Gon retorted, irritation beginning to edge his tone. ?And likely to Turn.?

?Not all angry young men to the Dark Side turn,? Yoda said calmly. ?Not if proper teacher they have.?

?I will not take him, Master Yoda,? Qui-Gon said firmly.

Yoda sighed heavily. ?Very well,? he said. ?But by chance we do not live our lives. If an apprentice you will not take, then, in time, perhaps choose Fate will.?

?Perhaps,? Qui-Gon agreed offhandedly, preparing to turn away. He hesitated. ?What will happen to the boy??

?For the Agricultural Corps he will work.?

Qui-Gon grunted. ?A farmer?? Such a waste of potential. ?Tell him?? Qui-Gon struggled for something fitting to say. ?Tell him that I wish him luck.?

?Too late,? Yoda said. ?On his way to Bandomeer he is.?

Qui-Gon very nearly rocked where he sat. ?Bandomeer?!? he asked, voice strangled by shock.

Yoda?s long ears tilted. ?Know the place, do you??

?Know it?! The
  13. Cole_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, man! Poor Qui-gon! Gosh, I am loving this story. This latest chapter was awesome. I am definatly enjoying this story. I love this time period, the JA era.

And it's nice, well not nice but refreshing, to see Qui-gon injured rather than Obi-wan and the roles reversed taking care of each other.

You've just wrote this so great. I like how Qui-gon is having those "feelings" aha, and how you go into detail about the transport and Qui-gon unpacking, it gives the story a genuine quality, makes Qui-gon a believable character, a real person (in the star wars universe).

Great job! Thanks for the PM! Happy New Year!
  14. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    I? it? Cold.?

There was a long pause. He felt the boy?s senses reach out to assess the damage. The Obi-Wan?s unrefined touch brushed against his mind and Qui-Gon realised with a cold shock that his shields were down.

Before he could scramble a defence around the deepest part of his soul, Obi-Wan?s senses mingled with his and Qui-Gon felt striped naked, all of his most private thoughts and emotions laid bare.

He heard Obi-Wan give a little gasp before the boy quickly withdrew his inadvertent probe, embarrassed.

There was a long uncomfortable pause as the boy tried to absorb what he had just experienced. Then, very slowly, Qui-Gon felt something within the boy soften.

Obi-Wan shifted round to settle beside him.

There was another hesitation, where Obi-Wan seemed to struggle with whether or not his help would be accepted. Then the boy?s arms were winding tentatively about him, bringing their bodies close while still pressing the now blood soaked sash to Qui-Gon?s back.

Qui-Gon stiffened, Obi-Wan would not meet his eyes but simply held him, sharing his much needed warmth with the Master?s failing body.

A part of Qui-Gon wanted to rebel, pull away from the contact. He didn?t deserve this caring from the boy when he couldn?t offer him anything in return. But somewhere some other part of him was glad the boy was here, the part that didn?t want to be alone any longer. But that part was still buried deep and couldn?t yet escape. There was too much hurt blocking the way.

He only hoped now that Obi-Wan could understand that turmoil and not grow to resent him for his stubborn heart.

But that was a worry for a later time. For now the boy?s presence was a warm comfort to him. A balm that his tortured soul had not known in a long time.

Very slowly Qui-Gon laid his uninjured hand upon Obi-Wan?s shoulder and let his weary eyes drift closed.

I love this "retelling" of the JA story from Qui's POV. Nicely done. =D=
  15. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    This is really great! I love the story from Qui-Gon's POV. He's my favorite character :D

It just keeps getting better and better and you write very well!
  16. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That was amazing. I loved all the action and the bond that is developing despite Qui-Gon's adamant objections.

Very slowly Qui-Gon laid his uninjured hand upon Obi-Wan?s shoulder and let his weary eyes drift closed.

It's too late to deny it any longer, Qui. You and Obi are meant to be Master and Padawan. I only hope he will realize it soon.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  17. dimyavie Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I loved the update! I do feel bad for Qui though; he's in a lot of pain and needs help! Luckily Obi's there ;) Thanks for the post! I hope to read more soon!
  18. Glenstorm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Cole_Kenobi: This latest chapter was awesome. Aww, thank you so much. [:D] I love the JA era too. Lots of Qui and Obi :D. And yes it is refreshing to see Qui-Gon on the receiving end for once. Obi-Wan could do with a break every now and then! Happy New Year and thanks for the response. @};-

Valary_Scot: Thank-you so much. Your responses always mean so much to me. I'm really glad your enjoying this. [:D]

Quigonjecca : It just keeps getting better and better and you write very well! [:D] [:D] I'll try not to disappoint you. And Qui-Gon's my favourite, too. Next to Obi-Wan of course. :D

KELIA: Thank-you so much. No Qui-Gon shouldn't deny it. But as we all know he's a stubborn man. It may be a while yet before he excepts the inevitable [face_worried]

dimyavie: Thank-you! Yes, Obi-Wan is there. And there he'll always be if Qui-Gon'll let him. :D

Thanks again everyone and Happy New Year!

Part 3

Qui-Gon woke slowly, taking a few moments to try and orientate himself before attempting to peel back his sandpaper eyelids. The first thing that he became aware of, funnily enough, was the absence of pain. The blinding white agony in his shoulder and back was gone, to be replaced by a dull throb. The next thing was that he was no longer lying on the hard floor of a cold and distant corridor, but was reclining on a soft medbed in the bowels of the sick bay.

So, they had made it.

Very gently Qui-Gon tested his right arm and found it willing to obey his demands. Bringing his hand up experimentally, he rubbed his long forehead, trying to deduce how much time had passed. He quickly gave up that task when his brain began to protest by pounding loudly against his skull.

Sighing he dropped his hand back to his side. And froze. His fingers brushing unexpectedly against a wealth of soft hair.

His eyes flew down and he saw to his surprise that Obi-Wan was seated close beside him, head resting peacefully on the bed. The boy was fast asleep.

Qui-Gon frowned, more than a little disconcerted by this. He was a man who prided himself on being aware of every intrusion on the second he woke. And yet here was the boy, sleeping right beside his elbow and he had not even known he was there until he?d dropped a hand on him.

That?s because he?s not an intrusion, a voice deep within whispered. He?s meant to be there.

A riot of conflicting emotions rushed through Qui-Gon at the disturbing thought. Fear, denial. Confusion? hope. For a while he was at a loss. He certainly had not expected the last.

The only thing he knew for certain was that he had no further wish to send the boy away.

Of its own accord his hand lifted to brush gently at the sleeping cheek--

--only to be snatched away quickly when the door to his room swished open.

Clat?Ha strode in, a grin lighting her face when she saw him attempting to sit up.

?So you?re awake,? she said as she came to his bedside. ?You had us worried for a while there.?

?Me too,? Qui-Gon said wincing slightly. He was glad to see that the fiery young woman was alive and well. He settled back against his pillows, gritting his teeth as the movement pulled at the bandages protecting his healing shoulder. He could smell the familiar scent of the bacta healing gel.

The grimace was not lost on Clat?Ha who?s expression became concerned. ?How are you feeling??

?A bit sore, but I?ll live,? Qui-Gon replied. ?How long have I been out??

?It?s hard to say,? she said, ?you were already unconscious when the medics finally found you down by the air lock. But you?ve been in the sick bay for about ten hours now. It was touch and go there for a while. I?m glad to see you back with us.?

Qui-Gon nodded his thanks for her concern. Ten hours?

He glanced down at the sleeping Obi-Wan again, noticing for the first time the lines of exhaustion etched into his young face.

Clat?Ha followed his gaze and
  19. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    (You're so kind.)

Qui-Gon frowned, feeling more than a little disconcerted. He was a man who prided himself on being aware of every intrusion the second he woke. And yet here was the boy, sleeping right beside his elbow and he had not even known he was there, until he?d dropped a hand on him.

That?s because he?s not an intrusion a voice deep within whispered. He?s meant to be there.

Well now, Qui's recognizing the obvious truth, finally.

He cares for you?

I know.

And he did. Though how he had earned such a gift he could not guess.

Because, maybe, they need each other, and the Force knows that.

What?s the matter, his inner voice taunted. The boy saved you. You should be able to trust him.

I do! Qui-Gon insisted. I trust Obi-Wan with my life. Of that he now had no doubt.

So, the voice took on a mocking tone. You would trust him with your life, but not your heart.

In a post filled to overflowing with great images, this speaks to the matter.

Methinks Qui is getting a lesson from a "anger-filled" boy. This was a wonderful update to a so-far-known story - the POV and the little touches you bring to it just make this - wonderful.
  20. Cole_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, this was great! Probably my favorite chapter so far! I loved how you opened it with Qui-gon realizing Obi-wan was beside him and not noticing him until he dropped his hand on him, ahah, cute, especially being caught giving a friendly gesture to the sleeping child.

I love how you wrote this chapter, you've done a marvelous job.

I love Obi-wan's loyality, and bravery, and longing to be to Qui-gon's "savior" like from the song. Which might I say, goes quite will with the story.

What a cliffhanger though. It was written with suppressed panic, loved it. Just like a real situation like Obi-wan is in, their is a calm overide that will help him accomplish his task. Oh, I hope he fixes the ship or pilots them safely. And maybe that herioc deed, since saving the ship and Qui-gon the first time wasn't enough, will help push Qui-gon to accempt him as his padawan. Lovely line about how he would give his life but not his heart to Obi-wan, it's because he's scared but I think he needs to be scared another way to let him see the light. Sometimes it takes a close call with death of someone they love to show them that even though their is the risk that they might have their heart broken again but that it does not out weigh the good, the love.

Awesome story! I greatly enjoy reading it.

Thank you for the PM. But, might I sugguest that in your PM's you also put a hyperlink to the story. Your PM's you sent out are a great reminder that you've updated and much appreciated but a link to the story is a wonderful convenience to the reader that is greatly appreciated.
  21. dimyavie Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I loved the update! It was the perfect way to end the first day of classes in the new quarter. Qui's conflicting emotions really touched me and your descriptions were wonderful! ;)

That cliffhanger ending though...do you delight in torturing us poor readers? lol. Anyway, thanks for the update! :D
  22. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    Oh Wow! I missed a post! That will teach me to take a two week break for the Holidays! I also have enjoyed the story from Qui-Gon's POV. I think you've done a tremendous job capturing his conflicting feelings. I like the way that you are slowly developing their relationship. Great job with this! Would you please add me to the PM list? I don't want to miss another update!

By the way, you can catch up on my story in between writing. ;) Please hurry with the next post!
  23. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Awww...now that was a sweet update.

I'm glad Qui-Gon tried as hard as he did to convince Obi-Wan all that mattered was that they escaped.

He only knew he had no further wish to send the boy away.

It's about time too!!

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  24. Fifilla Jedi Knight

star 3
    :oops: I missed a chapter...

Great story! =D=
    Please keep updating!!!
  25. ratna Force Ghost

star 4
    Angsty mush ... It doesn't get any better than this...

Qui-Gon acknowledged him as he had all the others before turning to the next boy.

And there his eyes rested. A strange jolt passing through him as he met a pair of blue-green eyes.

Taken aback, Qui-Gon stared.

Russet hair crowned a youthful, comely face from which stared the bright, unusual eyes.

The rest of him was quite ordinary for a boy of his age and he looked to have suffered a recent growth spurt for his body was gangly and awkward.

Qui-Gon shook himself, realising he had been staring for too long.

He gave the boy a brief nod then turned his gaze away. "Who is that?" he found himself asking.

Yoda's large eyes twinkled. "Obi-Wan Kenobi, his name is," he said, signalling for the match to start.

... ...

The tall Master looked once more at the young student, not quite sure what Yoda saw there. Yes he was gifted but Qui-Gon had seen the recklessness in him and that was a dangerous trait. He knew that all too well. His heart was dying because of it.

... ...

Oh, dear, I'm going to end up quoting practically the whole 3 posts.

Anyway ...

Very gingerly Qui-Gon tested his right arm, bringing his hand up to rub his forehead as he tried to deduce how much time had passed.

He gave up quickly when his head began to protest by pounding loudly against his skull.

Sighing he dropped his hand back to his side--and froze--his fingers brushing unexpectedly against a wealth of soft hair.

Looking quickly down his chin he saw to his mild surprise that Obi-Wan was seated close beside him, head resting peacefully on the bed, fast asleep.

Qui-Gon frowned, feeling more than a little disconcerted. He was a man who prided himself on being aware of every intrusion the second he woke. And yet here was the boy, sleeping right beside his elbow and he had not even known he was there, until he'd dropped a hand on him.

That's because he's not an intrusion a voice deep within whispered. He's meant to be there.

*sigh*

please PM me when you update?

p.s. you haven't abandoned game of death, have you...?[face_batting]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.