main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Patriots 2003 Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Hood, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I'm actually aurprised no one started a thread like this yet. And no, I'm not digging up the one from last year (if there was one). This season deserves its own thread, and I'm too lazy to go find the other one.

First off - reactions on the Lawyer Milloy release. My two cents? I hate to see him go, I think we're a better team with him than without him, but.....it's a business. They needed to get under the cap, someone had to go (someone highly paid, I might add), and he got the ax. He didn't exactly help the cause by refusing to restructure his contract, either.

Thoughts?

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I've heard a few different parts to this story and haven't had the time to verify any of them yet. For example, I heard on the radio the other day that most Milloy's salary was not going against the cap. I also heard that he signed for less per-year than what the Pats were offering. None of it makes sense to me.

3. Palps-Padawan

Palps-Padawan Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2003
    As far as Milloy goes...When a player wants more money he will hold out of training camp until he gets what he deems to be fair contract.
    People will then call him a whiny millionaire , Well the team did the same thing in reverse. Milloy was holding up to his end of the contract he signed with the Pats. The team released him rather than hold up to thier end of the contract. I hope he sacks Brady Sunday.

4. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Milloy's base salary was $4.4 million this year, but he would've counted over $5 million against the cap.

5. Palps-Padawan

Aug 24, 2003
    I understand what he would have counted against the cap , but they were not over the cap. They simply felt that Milloy was no longer worth what they had agreed to pay him. I am saying if we are going to get all over an athlete when they hold out for more money than their contract calls for , we should hold the team to the same standard.

6. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I couldn't agree with you any more PP. Although it is tough to see Milloy go, we can still have faith in the lineup that we have this year. Even without Milloy, our defense will be unbelievable!

7. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Wew have lost too many good players in the past few seasons... Team players.
    When a player seems to be eligible to make more money and he is worth it the Pats seem to trade or release him. Ty Law will probably be gone at the end of the season. He is due to receive a raise. Loyalty seems to mean nothing to the Krafts I know some will say its business but without loyalty you have nothing!!I don't like what the Patriots are doing and they better hope Brady turns out to be worth the risk. He throws too many short arm passes and is not that good throwing long. Lets hope for the best.

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I have a feeling that Brady will work out. The problem isn't so much that he can't throw the long ball, it's that he dosen't get the protection he needs to do it most of the time. The only time the Pats offensive line provided good protection for their QB was 2 years ago, and look at where they ended up. Despite their problems with stopping the run, which they seem to have patched up this year in the offseason, the defense is very solid. They need to do a better job of protecting Brady and opening more holes for the running game.

9. Palps-Padawan

Aug 24, 2003
    This is disgusting...they should change the uniform color to black because they are obviously afraid to get the whites dirty. I have never seen a team so unprepared to play a game , they looked like they expected Buffalo to roll over and die.They better turn this around quick or they will find themselves golfing real soon.

Pathetic.

10. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    *Enters room with a paper bag over his head*

Let's go Patriots!!!!! [face_plain]

11. Palps-Padawan

Aug 24, 2003
    Was anyone else happy when the Pats didnt get in the end zone at the very end of the 4th?.Shut out for the first time in 6 years...

...Go Pats =/

12. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm not surprised that they came out and played so flat. Cutting your a team Captain just before the start of the season would take the fight out of a lot of teams. That being said, they has better come out with some fire next week or this will be a long season.

13. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    That was embarassing. Absolutely pathetic. :mad:

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I knew that Buffalo would be a good team this year but I didn't expect them to man-handle the Pats like they did.

15. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I'm sure Drew had a smile on his face all night! 8-}

16. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Not just Drew, but Sam Gash too. Did anyone catch what he had to say about the Pats organization? He's been gone for 6 yrs now and his distaste for the Kraft's hasn't faded at all.

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Question:
    Did anyone else's Fantasy Football team have a bad start due to the Pats' poor performance on Sunday?

18. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Not me.I have very few Patriots players on any of my Fantasy teams. I won my first game in the FanForce league. I have Daniel Graham as my TE and he didn't do anything last week. I still think he'll have a great season though.

19. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Tough break for Ted Johnson (no pun intended). He's out for the next 8 weeks until his foot heals, and only days after being voted a co-captain. Hope Phifer is up to fill Johnson's shoes.

20. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Sucks losing Ted, but Phifer should be able to fill on okay.

This Sunday's game will be the first on 70 years played by two teams that got shut out in Week 1.

21. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Let's just hope that Pats don't make history again by going 0-2 with two shutouts. The offense has to step it up and put some points on the board.

22. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Boy, what a turnaround. Total opposite of last week. :)

23. JEDI_SMURF

JEDI_SMURF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Hey there, Boston! Hello from Buffalo, NY. Concerning Lawyer Milloy going to the Bills, what is Patriots Managemnet thinking? He is still capable of putting up great numbers. I believe his assessment of the defense being less aggressive, thereby causing his stat numbers to go down is an accurate one. Management saw his stats go down and wrongfully assumed his best days are behind him. Same thing with Drew Bledsoe. They broke the cardinal rule of not sending a player to a division rival. The Patriots got nothing for Malloy and a first-round pick for Bledsoe, and both are now in Buffalo having made an impact in the Bills 31-0 win last week.
    Last night's victory in Philadelphis was huge, but the Eagles are injury-riddled and Donovan McNabb had a bad game for the second week in a row.

24. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Milloy's stats have gone done over the past four seasons.That being said, he's still a very good player.But not worth the over 5 million dollar cap hit. The Pats wanted to keep him and tried to do so but he refused to restructure his deal.Given the comments he made about conversations I think it's pretty clear there was some tampering going on which led him to his hard line stance on redoing his deal.Why restructure when you know you have a deal or two in other places.

As far as the Bills go, don't make yuor Super Bowl plans yet.Bledsoe is still your QB and a choke artist once the stakes get high and the chips are down. Once the big time comes he will fold. You can set your watch to it.

25. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm just glad they played better than they did last week. Christian Fauria was my MVP in Fantasy Football this week!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.