main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Patriots 2005 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Wildstar02301, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    You might be asking, "A new thread so soon after we won another Super Bowl?" I say yes, because this promises to be a very busy offseason.

Said offseason got underway today with a big announcement about the coaching staff. Eric Mangini, the man who, as defensive backs coach, was largely responsible for creating the schemes used when the secondary got hit by a rash of injuries that forced both starting cornerbacks out of action, was named the Patriots' new defensive coordinator. Mangini had been rumored to be up for the defensive coordinator's job in both Miami (where mentor Nick Saban is the new head coach) and Cleveland (where he would've joined former Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel's staff), so keeping him was a big coup. Let's hope he does as well as Crennel did. :)

2. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Hopefully we can have a good season again. :)

3. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I think it's huge that they were able to keep him! Like you said, he kept the secondary together with those injuries. Things are definately starting to look like the 2005 season will be very promising.

4. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Jeff Davidson leaves Patriots to join Browns' staff

The departure of our tight ends and assistant offensive line coach makes it more probable offensive line coach (and, it should be noted, assistant head coach) Dante Scarnecchia will be given the responsibility of offensive coordinator.

5. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    If you haven't heard by now, Pro Bowl linebacker Tedy Bruschi was admitted to Mass. General Hospital last night with complaints of a severe headache and blurred vision. Speculation is that he may have suffered a stroke, but officially, they're waiting on further tests. Let's pray that he can continue playing this coming season. [face_praying]

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    The Boston Globe is reporting that Bruschi broke a blood vesselin his head and will remain hospitalized for further observation. He is reported to be sitting up in his bed and is in good condition. The partial vision loss and partial paralysis are gone as well.

Good news indeed. Get well #54!

7. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    This is slightly off-topic, but Curt Schilling appears to be mending the fences w/ Boston fans for wearing Ben Roethlisberger's #7 Pittsburgh Steelers jersey on "The Best Damn Sports Show Period" before the AFC Championship Game. Schilling showed up for Red Sox spring training in Ft. Myers today wearing Bruschi's #54. Good move, Curt! :D

8. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Mandatory reply from the right: Go Dolphins! I hope the Pats some how wnd up with Ricky Williams and we get Dillon. I dream I know, but, at least I can dream. Not a dream, Miami will sweep the season series against NE, like the almost did this year (that first game could have gone either way). Pats will go 10-6 and make the playoffs as wildcard and loose to the Colts in the playoffs. Thats my VERY EARLY prediction.

9. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Go Patriots! Hopefully, Bruschi will get out of the hospital soon.

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    ...Curt Schilling appears to be mending the fences w/ Boston fans for wearing Ben Roethlisberger's #7 Pittsburgh Steelers...

I thought this whole thing was a bit weird when it was first brought to light. Did it really bother anyone here that he wore the Rothlesberger jersey? Sure it may have looked a bit off given the timing of his appearance, but he did live in PA while playing for the Phillies. Would any of you stop wearing your Red Sox or Patriots stuff just because you got a new job in a different city?

Just my 2 cents :p.

11. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    I would not stop wearing my Red Sox and Patriots stuff if I got another job in a different city, but considering that he is playing for a major league team in Boston would make people think that he would have to wear Boston Sports teams things in support of Boston because he would be a very public figure.

12. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Boston.com and WEEI are reporting that the Patriots have released Ty Law.

13. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    I acknowledge Mike. Although I have a soft spot in my heart for Ty, I can't really blame the Pats for cutting him b/c they proved they could win w/o him and he would've been a $12.5M cap hit this season if they let him finish out.

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    It will be different to see the Pats defense take the field next year without him out there. I wonder where he's going to end up now?

Did you guys hear that the Seahawks released Jerry Rice? He says that he still wants to play but if there's no interest in him then he has no problem with accepting that.

15. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Veteran LB Roman Phifer released

Probably a cap move. Also, I think the Pats are looking to get younger @ linebacker in the offseason and Phifer, who is 36, does not fit these plans.

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    This was definitely a salary cap move. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Phifer retired. He strongly hinted after the SB win against the Panthers that he wanted to retire to spend time with his family on the west coast. The coaching staff talked him into coming back for one more season. If he doesn't retire, expect him to sign with a west coast team like Oakland, Arizona, or Seattle.

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Phifer retired.

Even though he went through all of the steps to recover from that hip surgery, I'd bet that's still got to bother him a bit too and might weigh in on his decision.

18. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Even though he went through all of the steps to recover from that hip surgery, I'd bet that's still got to bother him a bit too and might weigh in on his decision.

J_O, I thought it was Roosevelt Colvin who had the bad hip, not Roman Phifer.

19. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    J_O, I thought it was Roosevelt Colvin who had the bad hip, not Roman Phifer.

Now that you mention it, you're right :oops:.

I think I'll just go back to the Sox thread where I belong and wait for baseball season to start [face_blush].

20. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    According to a report broadcast on ESPNews, the Patriots have declined the option on veteran WR Troy Brown, making him a free agent. Brown was one of the most versatile players ever to put on a Patriots uniform, playing as a defensive back this past season in addition to his duties as a receiver and punt returner. He may still come to an agreement w/ the Pats for less money than what he would've received had the team picked up the option, but with his age, he likely has played his last game as a Patriot.

21. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, I heard about this move and I have to say, it's the saddest of the 3. I've been a HUGE TB fan for about the past 5-6 years. I even have a TB jersey that I wear to all of the Patriots home games. I'm hoping that both side will come together or a new deal that will be beneficial to both sides. I've also heard rumblings that he has been considering retirement after the Pats won the SB last month.

Here's hoping he comes back but if not, thanks for the memories TB and one last time...

"BINGO!! I've got bingo! I win again..."

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Paul Perillo of "Patriots Football Weekly" stated on WEEI's "Ted Nation" last night that he thought the Patriots and Troy Brown could get a deal done, so this is at least hope. :D

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I was very surprised when I heard about this move. He may have been on the high side as far as money against the cap, but the guy played three different positions! How can you argue with a player that can handle being the WR, a return-man, and play DB all in the same game?!? I really hope they re-sign him to a new contract before he decides to squeeze in another year or two somewhere else.

24. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    You guys might want to check out Philly's banner. It'll only be there a week. ;)

25. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    They did a good job on the banner!! Just out of curiosity, are we going to be getting a new banner to commemorate the Patriots' win or no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.