main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Patriots 2005 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Wildstar02301, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    For your perusal, this week's power rankings:

ESPN.com: #9
    CBS SportsLine: #13
    SI.com: #6
    FoxSports.com: #16

Of course, a good performance against the Colts this Monday night will go a long way toward improving the Pats' standing.

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    A win against the Colts will do more than give the Pats a boost in power rankings, it will provide a much needed boost in their charge to make the playoffs. The Colts are really the only high-level team the Pats have left to play this year. They do have games against the Chiefs (a running game that could seriously abuse the Pats defense) and the Bucs (who might be a problem if they can turn things around to where they were early on this season). Besides those teams the Pats have the Dolphins and Jets (2x each), the Bills and the Saints. Not many surprises in that group, except maybe for Miami RB Ronnie Brown, who's been big this year for the 'Fins.

3. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    On a good note, Tedy Bruschi was named this week's AFC Defensive Player of the Week today. He played well, but I think this was more an emotional vote than anything else.

4. TI-0694

TI-0694 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    So what's the atmosphere up there for this week guys? I mean hell, the Colts are 7-0 and FLYING. But do you guys still feel that Indy just CAN'T come in and win in Foxboro? Or are you just a little worried?

5. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I probably won't hear the end of it but I will say Indy should be able to beat the Pats this year. Their D is doing a bang up job now and Manning has turned things around after a slow start. The Pats are pretty banged up on offense and their defense isn't what it used to be even with Teddy back.

If anyone hasn't guessed yet I am not a Pats fan, but that doesn't mean I hate them I just like another team. I grew up liking the Boys and Skins as a youngling because I didn't know better. Then I saw my first Bears game and been a fan ever since. Even after moving to NE I wouldn't trade my Navy and Orange for Red, Blue, and Silver. lol Plus in the AFC I have to like the Steele Curtain anyways got to support the family. lol

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Patriots this morning signed RB Mike Cloud to the roster. With Dillion a game time decision and Patrick Pass out with an injusry, they needed a back-up RB who could step in if needed. It appears he'll be taking the roster spot of DB Arturo Freeman who I believe the team parted ways with after a not-so imprssive effort on Sunday.

7. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Nice to see Cloud back. He managed to get some decent yards during his last tour with the Pats. Should make for an interesting mix. As for Freeman... to refer to his performance as a "not-so impressive" effort is being very polite, IMO.

All of that aside I think that the Pats are going to be fine against the Colts tonight. If they can establish a running game between Dillon and Cloud then Brady and the passing game will be able to keep the Colts "D" on their heels and hopefully the Pats "D" will be able to contain James and also be able to hold guys like Harrison down to short gains. With Bruschi on the field I think that will be enough for the LB core to shake Manning up so that he makes his usual 2-3 INT's tonight aswell.

GO PATS!!!!!

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    FINAL SCORE:

Colts = 40
    Pats = 21

[face_beatup] [face_beatup] [face_beatup]

Not a good performance by the defense last night. Manning just picked them apart one empty zone at a time. The D-Line and LB's did what they could against the run but it just wasn't enough. Neither was what the offense was able to put together, which had it's troubles aswell. At this point the only shining star on the defense (IMO) is Asante Samuel. Some of the hits he was delivering last night show he's trying his best to step into the roll vacated by the injured Harrison, not that he wasn't a hard-hitter before but it seems to more more apparent now.

9. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    An interesting note to what could very well be the most dreadful game this team has played in the Tom Brady era. Duane Starks was benched at halftime and did not see the field at all in the second half. When Belichick was asked if an injury prevented Starks from taking the field, the coach replied "The people we put on the field were the ones we felt gave us the best chance of winning".

Not a ringing endorsement of Mr. Starks. Edgar Renteria should send Starks a giant muffin basket or something for taking over the reign as "Worst Offseason Pickup of 2005".

Oh yeah, this goes out to the "Glass Giant" known as Richard Seymour. How about more time on the field and less time filming crummy dancing commercials for the NFL Network.

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    The was probably one of the worst commercials that I've seen ANY football player do. My favorite so far are the two Visa commercials with the "5 Layers of Security" [face_laugh].

11. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Michael Felger's report card

As befits a lackluster performance, the grades this week were also lackluster overall. The secondary got their usual F, but the running backs also got an F for Corey Dillon's gingerly running and the key red-zone fumble late in the second quarter. The only saving grace? Brady got an A-.

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I wonder if they could convert T.O. to play defense [face_thinking]...

**dodges gaffi sticks and swinging lightsabers**

OK... OK I was just kidding [face_mischief].

13. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    T.O. a Patriot? Bite your tongue young man![face_shame_on_you]

My guess is he ends up out in Oakland where most of the NFL's problem children go to play out their careers.

14. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    This week's power rankings:

ESPN.com: #14
    CBS SportsLine: #16
    SI.com: #12
    FoxSports.com: #15

About where you expect a team w/ a .500 record in a weak division to be this time of year. The good news, as Fox Sports notes, is that the Patriots only face 2 more teams that currently have a winning record, the Chiefs and the slumping Bucs.

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I wouldn't say that about Oakland, they've had some fine players go there to play. For example you've got Bill Romanowski, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss... On second thought, nevermind :oops:.

16. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    To paraphrase the late president, Richard M. Nixon, "We won't have Duane Starks to kick around anymore." He has been placed on the injured reserve list with a bad shoulder.

17. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, a "bad shoulder" was his problem. I'm sure the fact that he left the bench with 3 minutes left in Monday night's game didn't help him in the eyes of Belichick either.

What a freaking bust that guy was. The Pats gave up a 3rd round pick AND swapped 4th's with Arizona/Phoenix to get him. Hey Duane, don't let the door hit a certain part of you body on the way out.

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I heard that the Pats might be bringing back Terrell Buckley to the team. I just hope they do something and fast. They have a pretty easy schedule for the rest of the year, with only the Dolphins posing any real ground threat and the Chiefs on the ground and in the air too.

My brother-in-law just left this morning to go to the game in Miami on Sunday. A long weekend of heavy drinking and football, and I'm sitting at my desk working right now :_|.

19. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Boston Herald today published Michael Felger's "midterm" report card. With the "midterm" report card, Felger gives grades to individual players as well as the positions. Among the active players, surprisingly, no one got an F, even on the secondary. The Fs were saved for two players on injured reserve: Tyrone Poole and Duane Starks (not surprisingly).

20. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Well, this battered Patriots team did one thing that many other Patriots teams couldn't do even when reasonably healthy...beat the "Fish" in Miami. Corey Dillon's sub, Heath Evans, had a good day, and Ben Watson had two big TD catches. And although they didn't play great, even the secondary showed some signs of improving, especially when the Dolphins took it in close on their final drive only to not get in the end zone. Final: Pats 23 Dolphins 16

The Saints come into town this week, so that means the game will be on Fox instead of CBS.

21. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    The defense still gave up a couple of big plays but overall they definately played much better. The forced fumble by Colvin at the end of the 1st half was HUGE!!! A great game with lots of back-and-forth action, just glad the Pats came out of Miami on top this time. The Saints at home next weekend should be a good breather for the Pats, wh go to Arrowhead the following week to face the Chefs... I mean Chiefs :p.

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Michael Felger's report card

As has been noted here, the secondary played better, so much so in Felger's view that he gave them a C+, their best grade in weeks. Rookie corner Ellis Hobbs, he said, was a definite upgrade over the inept Duane Starks. Felger also commented that outside linebacker Roosevelt Colvin may have played his best game as a Patriot Sunday.

23. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=13930&pcid=47

As the article above says, the Patriots made a few roster moves today. DB Randall Gay and C Dan Koppen were both placed on injured reserve, and CB Artrell Hawkins and OL Gene Mruczkowski were signed to fill their roster spots.

24. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
  25. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=13944&pcid=47

Finally, some good news on the injury front. Matt Light and Kevin Faulk, both of whom had been listed as "out" for the last several weeks, have been upgraded to "doubtful" on today's injury report. Here's hoping they can return soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.