main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Patriots 2005 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Wildstar02301, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Indy looks to be the favorite. I can see why with the season they have had, but I think Seattle is the team to beat they have it going on very well right now and no one can stop Alexander. For me I would love to see Da Bears in it this year, maybe against the Pats to have a rematch from 85, which would have the same outcome as it did 20 yrs ago. lol This years D is very close to the one in '85 Da Bears just need to get the O going. But if that match-up doesn't happen I would like to see the Steeler Curtain against Seattle. That would be a great match up of a high power offense against a damn good defense.

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Doug Flutie was named the NFL Special Teams PLayer of the Week thanks to his drop kick PAT in Sunday's game against the Dolphins =D=!

3. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    WEEI has reported that Tedy Bruschi has won the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year award, which he shares with Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith. Bruschi today also received the Patriots' Ed Block Courage Award, an award which is given to one member of each NFL team.

4. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Shaun Alexander of the Seattle Seahawks won this year's NFL MVP Award. He received 19 of the possible 50 votes. Finishing second was Peyton Manning with 13 and Tom Brady finished third with 10 votes.

5. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Alexander definitely deserved the MVP he has done a lot for Seattle this year. I would have thought that Tiki Barber of the Giants should have gotten some points as well, because he carried his team most weeks rushing for over a 100 and receiving close to 100. He was their whole offense this season for the most part.

6. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Another romp by the Patriots, clobbering the Jaguars 28-3. Brady, though not sharp early, got the job done, going 15/27 for 201 yards and 3 TDs. The biggest play offensively was an impressive 63 yard catch-and-run for a TD by tight end Ben Watson in the third quarter. Defensively, they also got a big play from cornerback Asante Samuel, who returned an interception of Byron Leftwich 73 yards for a score practically on the heels of Watson's TD. Linebacker Willie McGinest also had 4.5 sacks, setting a single-game playoff record, as well as moving him past Bills great Bruce Smith for most career sacks in the postseason. This is the Pats' 10th consecutive playoff win, surpassing the Packers of the 60's for the longest playoff win streak in NFL history.

The Patriots' next opponent will be determined today. If the Bengals win, the Patriots will travel to Indianapolis, while they will travel to Denver in the event of a Pittsburgh win.

7. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    That was better than the shutout the Pats had against the Bucs a few weeks ago! An outstanding performance by the offense with 3 TD's and the INT by Samuel for the 4th score of the game. The fake FG to punt was awesome not only because the Pats pulled it off perfect but the Jags went 3-and-out leading the Pats to get great field position and a TD. Now it's on to Denver to face the Broncos in another primetime slot (God I LOVE the Saturday night games)!!!

8. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Michael Felger's report card

Although the defense got good marks, Felger still said the defense is a concern, as the Jacksonville offense found a rhythm, especially late in the first half, but mental mistakes cost the Jaguars points. Felger gave extra credit to long snapper Lonie Paxton, who ran downfield to down the ball on Adam Vinatieri's first-quarter pooch punt.

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Tuesday's injury report

All 12 players listed for the Patriots are "probable", but the real good news in the injury report is that Tedy Bruschi isn't even listed. :D

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm surprized that he's not listed as either probable or questionable. Even though I'm sure he's able to play it just seems like Belichick would keep the Broncos guessing as to his status up until the very end.

11. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Agreed. The fact that Bruschi isn't on the list yet means nada. He wasn't on any of the lists last week and he never came off the sideline Saturday against the Jags. My guess is he'll be a "game time decision".

12. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    DW, Bruschi was "questionable" all last week. I refer you to this page, which I posted on Tuesday last week, as proof.

13. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Wednesday's injury report

I usually don't post an official injury list twice in the same week, but I'm doing so in order to point out that Asante Samuel was taken off of the injury list yesterday, leaving only 11 "probables".

14. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    How many days until spring training? :(

I thought I wouldn't have to ask this question for a few more weeks, but I have to now thanks to a season-ending 27-13 loss to the Broncos. Forget about the bad call on the Asante Samuel pass interference...when you turn the ball over five times, you deserve to lose, it's as simple as that. A shame, too, b/c the Patriots were doing almost everything else right, including stopping the Denver running game and moving the ball downfield on offense.

The thread will be left open for the post-mortems and discussion of the rest of the playoffs.

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    The ONLY reason that the Broncos won is because of those turnovers. They only scored 1 TD when starting a drive with the ball, all of their other points came off of the Pats' turnovers :mad:!

That call against Samuel should have gone the other way but when you have a guy like Troy Brown drop a punt and in another case you let the PUNTER hit you hard enough to cause a fumble :eek: you don't deserve to win that game.

Although the play of the game (IMO) was after Champ Bailey picked of Brady and was on his way to go all the way back for the TD just to be stopped short by a freight train named Ben Watson. Watson came from the other side of the field to catch up to Bailey, knock him out of bounds, force a fumble (which should have been a touchback [face_frustrated]), and even though he ran farther than Bailey he still had enough gas in the tank to completely level Bailey with his hit [face_beatup]!

Despite my rants the Broncos still played a great game and have moved on to face Pittsburgh at home next week. Good luck to Denver with their run to the Superbowl!

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    While the Pats did outplay the Broncos, the Broncos deserved to win. They capitalized on EVRY mistake the Pats made. 24 of their 27 points came on turnovers. The Broncos also won the battle on Special Teams with their punter consistantly forcing the Pats to start deep in their territory. Add in a missed FG by Viniteri and 2 fumbles on kick returns and that was all she wrote.

I'm sure the boys in silver & blue are kicking themselves even more so knowing that if they had only taken care of the ball, they would be hosting the AFC championship game this coming weekend (and I would most likely be going :( )

17. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Michael Felger's report card

The defense got better grades than the offense overall (with Brady getting an F despite a 341 yard performance), and the special teams got an F because of the fumbles and missed field goal.

Felger will have a final report card out soon...stay tuned!

18. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Michael Felger's *final* report card

Overall, Felger says to give the Patriots a B for this season. Here's how he broke down the positions:

Quarterbacks: B+
    Running Backs: C
    Receivers: B+
    Offensive Line: C+
    Defensive Line: A-
    Linebackers: B+
    Secondary: D
    Special Teams: B
    Coaching: B

Individually, Tom Brady and Deion Branch each got an A- for the offense. Defensively, Richard Seymour got an A+ and Mike Vrabel and Rosevelt Colvin each got an A-. On the special teams, long snapper Lonie Paxton got an A+ and punter Josh Miller an A-. Receiving failing grades: Bethel Johnson, Marquise Hill, and Monty Beisel (Duane Starks was spared a failing grade after being placed on IR. [face_laugh] ).

19. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    It will be the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Seattle Seahawks in two weeks, with both teams winning their conference championship game in convincing fashion. It will be the first Super Bowl appearance in the Seahawks' 30 year history, while the Steelers became the first #6 seed to go to football's ultimate game. The line, according to USA Today's Danny Sheridan, has Pittsburgh favored by 3.5 points.

Good luck to both cities.

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Well, one last reason to watch this year's Pro Bowl. Tom Brady has backed out of the all-star game due to an injury. He was replaced ny the Chiefs Trent Green.

21. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    It appears that Richard Seymour will also skip the Pro Bowl, so there's now very little reason for Patriots fans to watch. [face_plain]

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Pats fans now have interest in watching the pre-game show: ABC has hired Bill Belichick as one of the analysts.

BTW, I failed to mention this, but Tom Brady had a guest voice spot on last night's "Family Guy". Sorry for not giving you guys the "heads-up". [face_plain]

23. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    It has been announced that none other than Tom Brady will flip the coin at the Super Bowl Sunday. Brady will become the first active player, not playing in the game, to participate in the coin toss.

24. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    It was kinda funny when Tom Brady was introduced as the person to flip the coin. The way the Steelers fans booed him was just as funny as when the Sox fans cheered for Mariano Rivera at Opening Day last year [face_laugh].

25. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Well, the Steelers won Super Bowl XL 21-10 last night, but to hear D&C on WEEI this morning, it was an unimpressive performance by all involved, including the officials. They noted especially Ben Roethlisberger's 22.7 passer rating, the lowest rating in a Super Bowl by a winning QB. Still, the Steelers should be congratulated, as they found a way to win (or maybe not to lose).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.