main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Patriots 2005 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Wildstar02301, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Ty Law has a tryout scheduled for tomorrow with the Jags to try and sign with them. Depending on the progress of his ongoing rehab will determine how much of a show Law will be able to put on for what could be his new team. It's tough to see him go but best of luck to him with what he decides.

2. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    The practice schedule for 2005 training camp at Gillette Stadium has been announced. The first public practice will be on July 29, with the schedule for the first three days given below:

July 29: 8:30 AM & 5:30 PM
    July 30: 2:30 PM
    July 31: 8:30 AM & 5:30 PM

Anyone wishing to attend a public practice session is asked to call 508-549-0001 for more information on the practice schedule.

3. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Couldn't find any news of it online, but WEEI is reporting that Ty Law has reached a contract agreement with the Kansas City Chiefs. It won't be finalized though until he passes a physical.

If he's going to leave town (and he was) I'm glad he didn't turn up in the AFC East. I had fears that he was going to go to the Jets or Dolphins and reak havoc of the Pats twice a year.

4. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Two weeks until training camp opens! :D

5. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Woo Hoo! The Herald is announcing that Scott Pioli has signed a contract extension with the Pats! Terms and length of the extension is unknown right now.

6. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    According to an article by PFW's Paul Perillo posted on the Patriots' web site, linebacker Tedy Bruschi has decided to sit out the 2005 season while he continues to recover from a minor stroke suffered in February. Let's hope he can come back in 2006 and that all the preparations made by the Patriots for the possibility of Bruschi sitting out this season work out for the best.

7. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I was really excited the other day when I heard that Bruschi would be returning to the team this year, but I was also a bit surprised that he was going to play. After hearing the update yesterday that he will not be playing this year seemed to make more sense. It's just too risky for him to come back and play this year. Even with all of the advancments in sports medicine the best chance for him to come back at all is to take the year off and have doctors evaluate him to see if an '06 comeback is possible. Anyway, here's to a speedy recovery [face_flag]!

8. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Yes, hopefully he will be able to make a quick comeback and he would be able to play in the '06 season.

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Training camp opens in ONE WEEK!!! :D

10. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Go PATS!!! Hopefully we can defend our title again so that we can keep it again for the next year.

11. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Patriots today announced the signing of their top 2005 draft pick, G Logan Mankins. Terms were undisclosed. Mankins is the first of the 32 first-round draft choices to sign.

Edit: Mankins' deal was reported by ESPN as 5 years, $6.4M. The Patriots are now also the first team to sign all of their 2005 draft picks.

One thing I want to ask you guys: does it bother you that Belichick hasn't named an offensive coordinator yet, and does this mean Bill will call the offensive plays himself this season?

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    It doesn't bother me. I think that he'll probably take his time with it and if he does decide to take on the role he's got plenty of position coaches to back him up.

13. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, BB will be the O.C. It was "unofficially" announced a few months ago at a press conference when BB was asked about possible OC's and he replied that all of the coaching positions with the Pats had been filled. It looks like he'll be the one calling the plays with help from OL coach Dante Scarneccia.

14. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Reporting day brought a shocker news item, and it wasn't anything about Richard Seymour or a new contract for Rodney Harrison. Linebacker Ted Johnson has announced his retirement after 10 seasons and 3 world championships with the Patriots. He cited the effect of multiple concussions over the course of his career as the reason for coming to this decision. Bill Belichick expressed surprise at the news of Johnson's retirement in a written statement. Johnson was a great run stopper in the middle/inside linebacker role and his contribution to the defense will be missed. Early speculation is that the Patriots could bring back Roman Phifer after cutting him early in the offseason.

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    This is going to make the loss of Brucshi even harder to work around. Now the hole in the middle just got even bigger :eek:. I'm sure the offseason additions will work out eventually but I have a feeling the transition process to get all of these new guys adjusted to the flow of the existing lineup will take a little longer now.

All of that aside, good luck to Ted Johnson with his retirement. After 10 years in the league with 3 SuperBowl rings to show for it, he's definately earned it =D=.

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Wow, that is a surprise! Sorry to hear it too. Old number 52 was one fo my favorites. He'll be missed.

17. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Globe's Nick Cafardo has reported that DE Richard Seymour has been placed on the NFL's "reserve/did not report" list, apparently continuing the holdout he started at last month's mini-camp. Citing only a "league source", Cafardo also reports that S Rodney Harrison is about to have a happy resolution to his contract status, as the source says a restructuring of Harrison's contract is expected to be announced by the Patriots tomorrow.

18. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Teddy will be missed that is for sure. Maybe now would be a good time to bring Colvin into the middle. At least get the guy some playing time. He was a damn good linebacker with Da Bears and could help out a lot. I was sad to see him leave Da Bears, but I was happy that he could get a chance at a Super Bowl. Even though he has been limited during his time with NE, which was due to his injury and the log jam that existed at the linebacker spot.

19. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Most happy news for Patriots fans was reported on WEEI late tonight: Richard Seymour has reached a deal with the team to end his holdout and is expected in camp by Wednesday. It will be good indeed to see him practicing with the first-team defense, where he belongs. :D

20. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    That is good news! I really hate it when players get like this. It's great when a team wants to reward players for their high level of skill and ability by re-writing their contract to give them more money but the bottom line is that you are still under contract and should show up for the team workouts just like everyone else. I'm just glad it's over so that we can get back to making it 3 in-a-row!!!

21. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    I hope that the Patriots and bring home another trophy this season! :)

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Seymour's deal was stated in the Herald as a one-year raise, upping his 2005 base salary from $2.87M to the $4M range. Although it is still well below what the top defensive linemen earn (the franchise number {average of the top five salaries at a position} for defensive ends is $6.6M), Seymour is apparently happy with the deal.

23. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Let the games begin!

OK, maybe this one doesn't count, but the Patriots are close to playing their first exhibition game, which will be Friday night on the road against the Cincinatti Bengals. For those of you in the Boston area, WCVB (Channel 5) will have the game beginning with a 7:00 PM ET pre-game show.

24. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Bring on the football! :)

25. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    And in a Chris Berman-esque "Oh, by the way...", the New York Jets have signed former Patriots All-Pro cornerback Ty Law to a contract which includes $7M in guaranteed money. With two chances at it, let's hope Belichick and the offensive staff can find a way to exploit Law's foot injury if it's still bothering him. [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.