main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Patriots 2005 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Wildstar02301, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, Belichick won't say a word until Bruschi is actually seen on the practice field with a helmet on his head. My guess is he may get as far as the practice field (when eligible under NFL rules) but I don't think he'll be back this year. there's just too many health and legal concerns for all involved. I think what's pushing him to come back is him seeing how depleated and incompetent the defense has been the first quarter of the season.

I remember being at that pathetic display against the Chargers a couple of weeks ago and the only time in the second half the fans made ANY noise was when they showed Bruschi up on the jumbotrons. Well that and the Sox/Yanks updates.

2. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Friday's (10/14) injury report

Likely, this is Belichick sticking it to the NFL for the Falcons, in Bill's view, playing games with Michael Vick's status last week. Just about everyone listed as "Questionable" for the Patriots today was listed as "Probable" yesterday.

3. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Well, the Denver Broncos shredded the Patriots' defense in the second quarter to take a 21-3 halftime lead, and would make it 28-3 early in the third. Give credit to Tom Brady and the offense, though...they climbed back to within 8 in the fourth and had an opportunity to tie the game, but an intentional grounding call on Brady resulting from a Denver blitz helped force a situation where the Pats had to punt it away and hope for a three-and-out. Denver was able to get a first down around the two-minute warning, though, and ran out the clock from there. Final score: Broncos 28, Patriots 20

The Patriots get a much-needed bye this week before hosting their first divisional game on the 30th, a Sunday night contest against the Buffalo Bills.

4. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    A much needed bye-week indeed! It was tough to watch that game yesterday, despite the rally in the 4th quarter by the offense. Lots of missed opportunities, especially by the defense, to stop the Broncos from taking that game yesterday. At least with a week off the Pats can hopefully get a few more guys back from injuries and tear the Bills apart.

Speaking of players making a return, Tedy Bruschi made another step towards making a return to the lineup by getting clearance from the team doctors recently. With the bye week I wouldn't be surprised to see him practicing with the team before the weekend.

5. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Is there any kind of warranty on Duane Starks? I mean, can we PLEASE return him to the Cardnials and get our 3rd round pick back? This guy has the very distinct possibility of going down as the WORST acquisition in the Pioli/Belichick era. Oh, BTW, Ty Law had his second INT of the season yesterday. For those of you not keeping count, that's 2 more than the entire Pats secondary has for the entire season :(

As bad as yesterday's game was, I was amazed that they still had a ligit chance to tie that game up late in the 4th quarter. Brady's grounding penalty as well as Givens WIDE OPEN drop of a pass that would have put the Pats deep in Denver territory just killed any momentum they were building.

6. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Speaking with reporters today, linebacker Tedy Bruschi confirmed that he would return to full practice on Wednesday. If all goes well, he could be on the roster and available for the Sunday night game against Buffalo on the 30th.

7. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Michael Felger's report card

A lot of Ds in the grades for this game. The secondary got another F, as I suspect they will at least until Duane Starks sits. [face_laugh]

8. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Another divergence of opinion on the Patriots in this week's power rankings, but the general consensus has them about in the middle of the pack. Two of the rankings, the ones at ESPN.com and CBS SportsLine, check the Pats in at #12. Dr. Z at SI.com was kinder, still putting the Patriots among the top 10 at #6, but FoxSports.com's DVOA system barely makes them a top-half team, checking the defending champs in at #16. Everyone notes that the defense, especially the secondary, is cause for concern in Foxboro.

In a bit of good news, not only did Tedy Bruschi return to full practice today, but Richard Seymour, who missed the last two games with a knee injury, felt good enough to hit the practice field as well. As the Pats generally need warm bodies on defense, the possible return of two of their better players on that side of the ball bodes well.

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Just what we need...another injury in the secondary. :rolleyes: The Patriots announced that they have placed safety Guss Scott on injured reserve due to a bad knee. To fill the roster spot, the Patriots have re-signed defensive back Hank Poteat. In other roster moves today, the Patriots re-signed wide receiver Andre' Davis and released linebacker Wesly Mallard.

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Well after participating in his first workout with the team this season (not full contact), Tedy Bruschi seems to have already start to pick up right where he left off. Here's to him and hoping he makes a great comeback =D=.

11. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Yeah for Teddy coming back. :)

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Despite being off this past weekend on a bye the Pats have moved into 1st place in the division due to a Buffalo loss on Sunday =D=! Now the Pats will continue to prepare for the game this weekend against the Bills with the hope of holding onto that 1st place spot as the Bills are now in 2nd place.

13. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I hate bye weeks...

I just heard an interview with Rosevelt Colvin.
    I think the Pats are gonna be well prepared for the Bills.
    I really like our chances this week!!

With a win, we will out right own first place and i dont think we will be looking back!

14. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Patriots may have had the week off, but the NFL didn't and, as a result, we have another week's worth of power rankings. They're presented below, with links just in case you wish to take a look @ the comments.

ESPN.com: #11
    CBS SportsLine: #14
    SI.com: #7
    FoxSports.com: #19

15. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    I am a Bills fan...I already know the score of this game...Patriots 38-Buffalo 10
    Why?
    Because the Bills cant play in Gillete let alone play a night game.
    Its a choke fest every time.

16. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Tedy Bruschi is saying that he's ready to play this weekend against the Bills. I think he will finally make his return but on a very limited and as-needed basis. I doubt that he'll be in there most of the game, probably will only play in defensive schemes that are spread out to give him some breathing room to readjust to football speed.

17. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm not sure what's going to happen with him. One source is saying that he'll be activated on Saturday while another is saying he won't be back until the Colts Game.

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I hope that he's activated this week for Buffalo. It would be a good "warm-up game" before facing a more challenging offense like the Colts.

19. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    In other news yesterday, the Patriots placed cornerback Tyrone Poole on injured reserve. Given Poole's recent comments that kinda said "I don't care about football", BB is not likely to bring him back.

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    The Poole move doesn't surprise me at all. Football is not the most important thing in his life right now and he's made that obvisiously clear. Not that you can fault a guy who holds his family in such a high regard.

The Pats had a similar issue with Poole right after they signed him a couple of years ago. He was considering retiring because he wasn't sure if he wanted to play football and be away from his family.

With everything that's gone on this year, I think it's a safe bet that the Pat's will make some significant moves in the offseason to improve the secondary. They really have no choice.

21. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    First off... a huge welcome back last night to Tedy Bruschi =D=! He pulled in 2 tackles and had 5 assists in the game last night.

Second... a great game by the Pats who despite their struggles in the secondary played pretty well as they came back to win last night in Foxboro 21-16. It's really tough to watch a defense that has been so dominant over the past few year just get burned deep like that, but the injuries have made that an inevitable reality.

Now they must prepare for a tough matchup against the Colts, who will definately be firing away at the Pats depleted secondary since the Bills were able to do it with great sucess.

22. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I can't believe the won that game last night. I ended up going to the game with my dad last night and we were so disgusted by the performance of the defense that we headed for the car after the Bills made it 16-7 :( We got back to the car just in time to hear the Pats get to within 16-14 and got home just in time to see the last 30 seconds of the game on TV.

As great as it was to see (or in my case hear) the Pats win that game, it was for the most part a un-impressive effort by the P-Men. The defense continues to look just abysmal. Having Bruschi back helped the run defense and I'm hoping Seymour will be back in time for the Colts game. But the secondary is just pathetic. Duane Starks has to be one of if not the WORST acquisition of the Pioli/Belichick era. The guy can't do anything. He's constantly out of position, can't make a tackle on his own, and looks to be about 2 steps slower than every WR in the league.

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    You may aswell throw Aurtruro (sp?) Freeman in there too. The guy looked like he had no clue of what was going on, he seemed confused playing zone and couldn't keep up man-to-man either. You're right Mike, the run defense should get better now with Bruschi back and "should" be solid if Seymour is back next week, but unless they can pressure Manning to make bad decisions he will pick the Pats appart.

24. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I think the pass rush should improve as well when Seymour get back. He'll require alot of double teaming which should allow guys like Jarvis Green and Rosie Colvin a better rush at the QB.

And you're right, Arturo Freeman was pretty bad, but at least he was a FA signing playing for the vet minimum. Starks is a guy they gave up a 3rd round pick to get and carries a decent-sized salary cap number. They though he was going to take over Ty Law's spot. Right now I'd rather have Ty Law at 75 percent than what Starks is doing right now.

25. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Michael Felger's report card

No stellar or horrible grades here. The receivers got a B and the linebackers a B- (yes, only a B- even with Bruschi in there), and the secondary "improved" to a D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.