main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pattern for 1995-on SW figures - new figures are hardest to find in non-movie years

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Blur, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I'm sure this is extremely obvious to most, but I thought it was worth noting anyway:

1995: Star Wars figures are ressurected by Hasbro after a ten-year hiatus (1985). They start appearing in August/September of 1995, but are, for the most part, difficult to find.

1996: Star Wars figures are still trickling out, but, as in the previous year, are not plentiful (Boba Fett is notable for being hard to locate). The notable exception are the "Shadows of the Empire" figures, which are connected to a book/comic book/trading card event. However, depsite the publicity, the SOTE figures warm the pegs.

1997 - Year of Star Wars Special Editions - New SW figures are easier to find, and seem to be produced in vaster quantities than in previous years. This is most obvious during the time that the SE movies are in theatres (January - April 1997), but throughout 1997 the figures seem plentiful.

1998 - a very rough year for SW collectors. New Figures are very, very difficult to find (notably the Death Squad Commander and Ree-yees). The Expanded Universe figures hit retail in late 1998, and those are quickly snatched up, with some collectors reporting never having seen them.

1999 - while the initial EP I: The Phantom Menace figures are produced in huge amounts, later EP 1 and Classic figures that are released in 1999 are difficult to locate (Aunt Beru, for example).

2000 - another rough year for SW collectors. Not many new figures are released this year, and the ones that are are not easy to locate (Sio Bibble, TC-14, General Motti).

2001 - an alright year for SW collectors. New SW figures are easier to find than in 2000, but it's still difficult to locate them.

2002 - the year of AOTC - new figures are easy to find and seem to be made in plentiful quantities (though not as much as in 1999).

2003 - a repeat of 1998 and 2000. The only possible exception seems to be the "Clone Wars" figures, which may be released in larger quantities than usual, if only because they are a tie-in to the upcoming cartoon show on the Cartoon network.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002

I geuss we'll just have to resort to online retailers.

3. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I have never even seen a Sio Bibble, TC-14 or General Motti in stores.

4. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Well personally, i never had too many problems until the Expanded Universe series was released. Then my next major problem was the final wave of Episode I. From then on have I had difficulties finding new figures in stores, aside from the premiere date in 2002 for the AOTC line.

"New Figures are very, very difficult to find (notably the Death Squad Commander and Ree-yees)"
    These were 2 of 4 Fan Club-only figures (the other 2 being a Leia and the DS droid w/ mouse droid). They were never in stores, you had to order from the Fan Club website at the time.

5. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    The cycle youve described is very accurate, Blur. I for one never found Death Star Trooper. Ree Yees, Sio Bibble, TC14, and saw Beru once but never again. :( Its all the fickle, stupid, stupid children and their losing interest in the figs on non movie years. I hate children so much, I really do. So freaking annoying. :mad:

6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Quote:

"New Figures are very, very difficult to find (notably the Death Squad Commander
    and Ree-yees)"
    "These were 2 of 4 Fan Club-only figures (the other 2 being a Leia and the DS droid w/ mouse droid). They were never in stores, you had to order from the Fan Club website at the time. "

The statement about Ree-yees and the DS Commander never being in stores is incorrect. Yes, the DS droid w/mouse droid was an exclusive fan club figure, but the Ree-yees and the DS Commander were released to retail stores in Mid-1998, although they seem like they were never released because very few people actually found them.
    It is true that, because they were so hard to find, the Fan Club did sell the DS Commander and Ree-yees in early-mid 1999. That's how I (and most people) got theirs.

7. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Blur is correct. I got my Ree-Yees at Service Merchandise, and it was the only one I ever saw at retail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.