main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pattern storage

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Morrigan_McKnight, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morrigan_McKnight

Morrigan_McKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    What ways do people store their patterns?

I have over 200 patterns and find proper storage very important in finding what I need. Everyone has their own way of storage and what works for them.

Here is how I store mine:
    - I started with file cabinets (need more), and got hang folders for all the patterns (once again, need more).
    - Using closed sided manila folders I began numbering the folders starting with 001.
    - I devided my patterns into catagories (costumes, bridal/formal, kids, casual, etc...) and used color coded folder tabs for the hanging folder labels.
    - I numbered each pattern envelope and began putting the envelope contents into the folders and filing them.
    - I then moved over to the computer and created a database for the patterns (folder #, pattern comp, pattern #, discriptions, sizes, etc...)comments can always be added about how well the pattern was liked and how long it took to create the garment.
    - After important info was saved I created my quick referance binders:
    1) using the pictures of the envelopes I created a binder that I can flip through and see just those for inspiration or what I need (don't forget to referance the file number)
    2) using the backside with measurements and yardage I created a binder by file number for referance when needed.

I can now look through the binder of pattern pictures to find ideas or what I am looking for, without the bulk of the full envelope. When I have collected the patterns needed I can pull the yardage and notions info needed from the second binder and head to the store, or my storage closet. Once my materials are piled up I can pull the folder with everything I need to get going, pattern pieces and instructions.

Extra tip: before laying out pieces to cut, read through instructions to see if any modifications are needed, and how you want to make them.

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Since I only got about 20 and had only used a few, I just kept them in their original envelopes and arranged them in the correct order according to Brand first, then its ID no. (Burda, Butterick, McCall's, Simplicity) in a plastic bag standing up.

But think soon I'll need to get a tall box for them. ;)

3. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002

Right now, I have a plastic three-drawered 'unit' (for lack of better word) that works quite well.

I don't think I have a lot of patterns really, but that thing is full so I'll have to either get another storage bin like that or invest in something larger. What's nice about that is it's very durable and easy to move. I try and keep everything in their envelopes so it's somewhat easy to find.

:)

4. -LadyVader-

-LadyVader- Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2002
    I just use the pattern boxes that Hancocks sell. They're cardboard and have places on the front to label the patterns that the box contains. Of course, I don't have hundreds of patterns...but at the rate I'm going, I will in a year or so. ;)

5. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I am one of those freaky anal-retentive type people...
    HOWEVER, it seems to not apply to pattern storage. I have hundred upon hundreds of patterns, and no order to them at all.
    Well, they do sort of form their own order in terms of which ones I use the most always sifting to the top. The rest is a mess. I have a vague zen-like sense of where what I'm looking for can be found, but woe betide anyone else who goes hunting for something in that wild morass.

-sg

6. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I use a Chest of Drawers. Sadly it has come to that. I used to manage a fabric store and got all the discards I wanted to I have a TON of patterns, plus I collect patterns too so I have a lot of duplicates to keep a "collector set" nice and uncut.
    The pieces I have cut, modified, drafted etc I combine into one large plastic bag. I then jot down any notes I have from when I constructed the garment--and if it's a replica the materials I used to make the garment. I then title this what ever it was I made (Ex: Padme's Picnic Dress) Then I know to pull that packet if I need to make that dress again. Any reference photos, sketches, trims etc I put in there as well. All of these packets get filed in the chest of drawers in my sewing room. I try to keep movies together, and similar styles together, but It's my mess and I pretty much remember where stuff is.
    Uncut patterns I keep in plastic rubber made tubs, cardboard boxes and one drawer of the chest of drawers.
    I have A TON of patterns!!!

~Ferd :)
    **And just when I think I'm anal retentive--I had a friend who used to iron her pattern pieces, re-fold them and stick them back in the original folder like they were never used. Yeah right! My patterns grow in size by 3000% they would NEVER fit back in the original envelope.

7. SallyOwens

SallyOwens Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    I've got mine in a basket, but I've clearly outgrown it when you take a gander at it. I think I'm going to go with the clear bins though, rather than a cardboard one. They've got great standup ones with clear drawers at Target too.

8. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Like LadyVader, I use the cardboard pattern boxes from Hancocks to keep my patterns in. Pattern # and shorthand for company listed on the front, as well as a letter for the box (right now I'm up to D).

To keep track of them, I have a Microsoft Access database. Four columns, one for compay, pattern number, my personal description (doesn't always agree with the company's), and which box it's stored in. I don't bother trying to keep track of any other pattern info, such as yardage. I'm trying to work on just one project at a time (doesn't always work however ;) ), so having to look up the pattern information keeps me focused on the current project, and helps me not go fabric-buying crazy (again, doesn't always work ;) ).

9. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Funny this topic has appeared now, as I just finished a new filing system for my patterns this past Sunday night. I used to keep my patterns in those boxes from Hancock's (I had about two or three). But they were getting rather worn and beat, and there was no logic to the filing. Since I'm an art museum librarian, it was becoming rather embarrassing of late.

Finally, I got off my duff and purchased a group of those white file boxes with lids, and manila folders. Using color tag separators that you can get for ring binders, I separated the patterns into subjects (i.e. women's, men's, historical, scifi/fantasy, etc.--although they will probably become more detailed as time passes and more costumes are finished). Then I went through each pattern and made two piles per subject--those cut and those uncut. Only those cut did I allot a manila folder for. The uncut easily fit in side by side behind the manila folders in each subject section.

Each manila folder contained the remaining uncut patterns, which I refolded to fit, the instructions, any notes, drawings, etc., and the cut patterns, refolded to fit also. I took the pattern envelope and taped it to the manila folder in such a way that I can flip it to see the back as well as the front.

I didn't put them in any order within the subject sections--just manila folders first, with uncut patterns still in their envelopes two by two next. I labeled the manila folders by starting with the pattern company's name and the pattern number, followed by the size(s), then a description of the pattern/what it was used for (i.e.--bodice pattern, Tudor gown).

I had considered using a number system (short of employing Dewey ;) ), but I don't feel I have enough patterns to require that (under 75 right now), and I happen to have cultured my brain into remembering where multiple things are over the years as a librarian (our museum's library is currently undergoing the effort to catalog the entire book collection on a digital database, for which the old card catalog has already been tossed; ergo, if we don't remember where that book was, much less the book itself, unless it's already in the database, we're up a creek without a paddle), so I tend to recall where things are naturally. Only if I collect 100+ patterns in the coming years will I employ a more detailed system.

Anyway, pardon the grotesque length of this post--it's the latent Martha Stewart in me surfacing. ;)

10. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    > And just when I think I'm anal retentive--I had a friend who used to iron
    > her pattern pieces, re-fold them and stick them back in the original folder like they were never used.

LOL! [face_laugh] I used to do that to my first pattern (McCall's 2810-Cloak) but by the 3rd time, I gave up on ironing them and just arrange them in correct sequences before *trying* to fit into the envalope again.

11. Stubbzilla

Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff star 2 VIP

Jan 30, 2001
    I just stuff them in to those big brown envelopes and scrawl notes on there, then I keep them in filing tubs. I don't iron them when I put them away, but I do iron them when I take them out. :) I read somewhere that you can iron some fusible web on to patterns that you use a lot, so you can preserve them. When I make my own patterns, I make them out of cheap cloth, because I tend to destroy patterns as I use them. Between the cats jumping on them and the pins I stick in to them, they get shredded.

12. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    I have 2 2-drawer filing cabinets over which I've placed a door, and that forms my sewing table. I place the patterns in a large zip lock bag rather than trying to get them back into their original envelopes.

I have them devided by costumes vs street wear but that's all the organization I've done.

13. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    =\ so far i just fold my chopped up patterns any way and stuff them bag in their packaging, on the other hand i only own about 3. what do i do with alla the chopped up pieces and parts? they seem be a mess when i'm done with them (some parts tore when i was using transfer paper because i lost the whell that goes with it) is it really possible to reuse any patterns? and lastly, is there a good way to recover the sizes that get chopped off?

14. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I only have two patterns, so they sit on my sewing machine in no particular order [face_blush]

15. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    across0the0stars:

Yes, it IS possible to reuse patterns. I have many patterns that are MANY years old.

The paper is very thin, so care must be taken with it. If it tears, tape it.

There is a thin, cheap interfacing with grids that can be used for copying the patterns as it is more durable than the pattern paper.

I also use this when I'm altering a pattern a lot or using 2 pattens together to create something completely different.

Also, I don't try to stuff the pattern back into it's envelope. I put the whole thing into a zip lock bag.

16. Stubbzilla

Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff star 2 VIP

Jan 30, 2001
    Don't cut out along the "medium" or "small" lines. Cut the largest, then fold the pattern back on the medium or small lines. That way, you can make a small, then go back and make a large one later.

17. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I have two oversized tupperware tubs that I have all my patterns packed into. I haven't the place or the time to sit around and organize them all. Someday I will though :)

18. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    ah...i think i'll just replace the 2 patterns i own then... and take better care of them next time around! hehe, i think i'll just start my own library of patterns next time joann's has them on sale

19. Morrigan_McKnight

Morrigan_McKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I think a sale is coming up on Sept 20th, at least in my area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.