main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Patterns for a Jedi Robe

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediRah, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRah

JediRah Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    First of all, (newbie alert), Hello!

Many websites mention Simplicity or Mcalls patterns to use for a Jedi cloak, but they all seem to be discontinued ones. Any recommendations for a current pattern I could use?

2. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    If you go to Padawansguide.com under the jedi section, they should have a nice tutorial on how to make a beautiful jedi robe from a normal cape pattern. I used Simplicity's cape pattern 5794, you should be able to find it in the costume books. The envelope shows several women modelling various styles of cape over long dresses.
    Never mind that, though. This cape pattern will work just beautifully for jedi robe making, for men or women. It's a nice, full cape, rougly 4.5 meters around the bottom hem, assuming you don't have to shorten it a few inches as I did. (I'm only 5'3") But I'm pretty sure that what width I lost in the shortening was made up for when I added the extra fabric for a soft pleat in back, as per the instructions found on padawansguide.

Basically what you want is a nice full cape pattern of a relatively simple design. No silly gathers or "roman curtain" effects.

The end result of this was a lovely robe that hangs and flows beautifully, and looks very much like the ones in the movie. Only major difference was that I used a soft woolly cotton, similar to flannel instead of real wool.

3. Kravin

Kravin Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    I found simplicity patterns that fit the bill but my mother has the numbers. Ill get them from her tomorrow and post them here for you.

One pattern has the robe while another one has the tunic, belt and pants.

Im just getting my first outfit together and Im using using patterns or atleast my mother is,hehe.

4. Sith_Lord_Drader

Sith_Lord_Drader Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    I just bought simplicity 5840. got it at walmart i used patterns for robe B and the rest ( ie. the tunic, outter robe i used pattern D. hope this helps.

5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Tips on making a Jedi Robe

PATTERN:

I looked through my pattern archive for suitable robe patterns and found these:

Simplicity # 9887 (a "Lord-of-the-Rings-esque" style for all sizes)

--I have used this one quite a bit as a basis for many costumes already. View B without the yoke detail and with a rounded hood works nicely for a Jedi robe much like Mace Windu's from EP I.
    This one calls for 9+ yards of 45" wide fabric or 7+ yards of 60" wide fabric.
    This one in black could make a nice Darth Sidious robe as well. (Sidious will need a very textured material, a waffle-weave is best, but not a stretchy fabric)

Butterick #3184 (larger child's "Harry Potter-esque" wizard's robe pattern will work for petite sizes)

--I have used this one for Harry Potter robes and Jedi robes with a few modifications. Again, it will need a rounded hood. I omitted the sleeve cuff.
    I like the sleeves on this but they come to a point. It looks good sitting in council, but the points look a little weird in saber battle.
    This robe pattern calls for about 7 yards of 45" wide fabric to make the largest size robe and about 5 yards of 60" wide.
    Again this pattern works if you have the build of a teenager. I made the largest size robe from this pattern for me and it just fits me.
    I am 5' 5".

Simplicity #5840 (A "Star Wars EP II-esque" pattern all sizes)

--View B again with a rounded hood looks like it would work. This pattern calls for about 8 yards of 45" wide fabric for all sizes.
    I have not yet used this pattern for any projects, but it looks very straight-forward. The sleeves are also straight-cuffed, so that would make it look like a fighting Jedi robe.

McCall's 2433 (a "Star Wars EP I-esque" pattern in all sizes)

--This is the easiest to make of all of the patterns, however it is also the least interesting-looking. The robe is not as full-cut, so it will not have as much 'flow' as the other patterns.
    A large robe will need about 6 yards of 45" fabric or nearly 5 yards of 60" wide.

Fabrics come in several widths (45", 54", 60")
    The width of the fabric is going to determine how much yardage you will need to purchase depending on which pattern you choose to follow. Buy the pattern you want to use first and then look at the back of the package for the yardages you will need.

6. JediRah

JediRah Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Thanks very much!

Sorry I now have another question, anyone have recommendations of where to get patterns in the UK?
    I think I'm going with Simplicity 5840. Ebay currently doesn't have any but I imagine if I keep checking back there will some eventually. Any other recommendations? I don't have Wal-mart or large fabric store anywhere remotely nearby, and most US online stores have HUGE shipping costs across the pond.

Thank you, again,
    Rah!

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Welcome JediRah!

We have many resourceful existing threads on the Jedi costume - you might want to start with this one:

The Complete Jedi Costume Guide.

Other threads are linked from our Welcome and thread index.

I am going to re-post Nostradamus' post over there so it stays for future reference, and will lock this thread so we can keep all the good info in one place.

Good luck on your costume!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.