Paul (Pegg and Frost)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Darth_Asabrush, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    Any FF-UKers seen Paul (Pegg and Frost)?

I've read mixed reviews but will go and see it soon. Just wondering whether it is as good as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz or for that matter, Spaced?
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Haven't seen it and so far none of the reviews I read over the weekend were enough to convince me to shell out £7-8 to see it in the cinema.
  3. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    I can't stand Pegg, so I definitely won't be seeing this.

I forced myself to see Star Trek as it was.
  4. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Big fan of Pegg (not so much Frost), but this seems like a step down, a step towards the mainstream the pair don't need to make. I've yet to see it (shall wait until DVD), but I get the distinct impression it's far broader than SotD or Hot Fuzz with open intent upon mass appeal... and probably the worse for it. SotD or Hot Fuzz didn't aim for mass appeal, but they got it anyway. Paul feels different. The idea may have come from Pegg and Frost, but the bigger they get the harder it's gonna be for them to do what they do best.
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I liked Pegg in Star Trek. I saw Hot Fuzz in the cinema and thought it was pretty funny, especially the fight in the supermarket. But Paul just doesn't have the appeal for me.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I've seen bits of it, but won't get to see it fully until next week probably.

The big concern from most I've talked to is that Pegg & Frost are going "Hollywood" and with a big budget & special effects will simply become commercial and do things because they can or because it will attract viewers rather than because it will be funny. Often a restricted budget brings out the best in people creatively, I hope Pegg & Frost don't lose what made them great.
  7. orn-free-tada Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think it's a bit unfair comparing it with SOTD or Hot Fuzz. As far as I'm aware, Edgar Wright is not connected in anyway, so I don't really understand the constant comparrisons, it seems.
  8. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    Paul isn't by the same team as Fuzz and Shaun and it is more mainstream as a result but there is the final episode of the neopolitan trilogy yet to come so there could yet be a return to form
  9. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    That's quite promising news. I thought this was the third in the "trilogy". Glad to know it isn't.

Anyway, I'll probably go and see it. However, the wife and I were only the other day saying how Pegg seems to have gone all "Hollywood". We concluded that this was a shame :)
  10. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    He's not the same as he used to be. He is on record several times saying he'd not sell out and release an Xmas autobiography. Yet what did he do last year?
  11. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    Can't blame him really. I'd sell out if I was him but it's still a shame.

At least Frost is still normal. Anyone remember what that show was with him as a captain of a star ship? I think it had Miranda in too.

Think I'll go and watch Spaced again.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Clearly artistic intregrity is easily bought out these days.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.